Centrepins

Beaker

Reaction score
Anybody recomend a centrepin that doesn,t cost a small fortune, under £50 :wh

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just keep your eye on fleebay. If it's trotting you have in mind (you'll need a free running pin) then I would save a few pennies more before investing in a slightly more expensive reel than the 50 notes. You would be wise to look at the Okumas...sheffield, Aventa etc.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Have a look at the one Used Tackle sell. It's going for about £30 which is cheap for a reasonable quality ball bearing pin. I've played with the Ikon one which looks to be exactly the same and it works well. Alternatively you can pick up a Rapidex or a Trudex on Ebay for around £30 to £40.

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
There was one on fleabay I saw that looked quite tasty. A bit over £50, butnot that much.

Got it and tell a lie, the reel, ICONIX, is under £50
lg_ikonix-centre-pin-reel.jpg

Last edited:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Sorry, it's called the Ikonix. Have a look here (but you won't be able to buy from there). My local shop (Tackle2u) have them in for about £50

---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:39 ----------

Crossed in the post!

stuartpengs

Reaction score
This reel can be bought with a different name on from Dragon Carp Direct for £30 plus £6p+p
Which is a lot cheaper I have ordered one and once I have used it I will report back as to what I think of it

Beaker

Reaction score
This reel can be bought with a different name on from Dragon Carp Direct for £30 plus £6p+p
Which is a lot cheaper I have ordered one and once I have used it I will report back as to what I think of it

Thanks Alan.

stikflote

Reaction score
the Iconix pin is priced at £70 in my local tackle shop

George387

Reaction score
I recently bought the dragoncarp version of the ikonix for a fraction of the price...It originally started its life as the TF X Pin and was priced at £99.99 all that has been done to it is a signature put onto thats the only difference between the TF version, the Ikonix version and the Dragoncarp version...Oh and the price including delivery £36 all in. Cant complain at all as I ordered it late one night & it was here within 36 hours.
Marco Cortesi Signature Centrepin reel - Dragon Carp Direct

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Or you can PM me for my Leeds Centrepin which is going on ebay - runs forever if you wish to trot....

mol

Reaction score
I saw a review of the TFG reel. I dug out an old mag that a head to head of 'pins as I'm thinking about buying one. The TFG reel got a very good view and they said it was the best sub £100 pin.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I'd get one bought then! I suspect Used Takle/Dragon Carp have bought a job lot and when they're gone you're stuffed! From a bit of a play with it in the shop it looks an OK reel and at the price you'll get a bargain.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've had a spin of this reel.As Sean says its not the greatest but good enough to find out if you like centrepins and a proper bargain at £30. IMO the Okuma's are much better reels albeit a bit more money but still good value compared to some of the pins out there.

But for 30 nicker you can't really go wrong.Have it !

George387

Reaction score
No probs at all, I bought it to teach some friends how to use centrepins when fishing & Im very protective of my adcock stantons and match aerials but with this for £30 you cant go wrong as a 1st time or beginner reel, I was quite impressed when it arrived.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I've taken a punt on this, too, it arrived very quickly. Quite a chunky brute, no worries about using it for carp or pike,
Problem is, it spins for 15 seconds tops, with a sort of dry, asthmatic hiss, instead of the rumble one associates with bearings or the silence of a pin. Removing the screw in the middle yields no clue as to how to get the b. apart, nor how to lubricate it - I have a nasty suspicion that the bearings are gummed up and the spool is spinning on the outer housing of the bearing unit!
At the price, I can't complain; it will certainly do for a lot of my lake fishing, and looks a lot posher than my GeeBee, but I'd be sore as a picked zit if I'd paid a ton for it.
Any advice on how to get it apart?

guest61

Reaction score
I've taken a punt on this, too, it arrived very quickly. Quite a chunky brute, no worries about using it for carp or pike,
Problem is, it spins for 15 seconds tops, with a sort of dry, asthmatic hiss, instead of the rumble one associates with bearings or the silence of a pin. Removing the screw in the middle yields no clue as to how to get the b. apart, nor how to lubricate it - I have a nasty suspicion that the bearings are gummed up and the spool is spinning on the outer housing of the bearing unit!
At the price, I can't complain; it will certainly do for a lot of my lake fishing, and looks a lot posher than my GeeBee, but I'd be sore as a picked zit if I'd paid a ton for it.
Any advice on how to get it apart?

It really comes down to confidence in your own skills with hand tools, I'd give the seller / shop a call and see if there's an General Assembly (GA) diagram available. This should give you a steer in the right direction. If not post some pictures so that I can have a look...

If you get as far as the bearings they could be sealed units and may be difficult to lubricate - Its possibly easier to replace them with a known make - they will be a 'standard' size and will be relatively easy to get hold of.

Should the spool be rotating on the 'outer' race this can be fixed with some super glue or if you're feeling frisky some bearing lock.

Mark

George387

Reaction score
Ive taken my to bits already no problems, all I did was remove the screw on the front spool and gently ease the drum off, it was quite tight to start but came off with a bit of hand pressure, I lubed the bearing up with some krytox and put it back together again and its still spinning after 2 minutes.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Thanks, chaps, I took my courage in both hands, backed the centre screw off a couple of turns, held the reel by the spool and gave the screw a gentle clout with the wooden handle of a rather large screwdriver. All suddenly became much clearer!
Cook's duties call, will report back later...

Last edited: