Passion or Pastime?

N

nigel catterall

I must admit that I haven't been fishing for a good few years - but like most sports, does it really require a passion to get the fullfillment or for most is it just a pastime?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Like sex, the more passionate you are the more you get out of it - if I remember rightly.

T

Tom Horwood

As I am a really poor fisherman, does this imply something about me in other areas of my life?

M

Maria Thomas

Well, frankly Tom, yes it does, but luckily in fishing, as in several aspects of life, all that is required is a little patience and a lot of practice. I have every confidence that if you bear this in mind your rods will be back in excellent working order soon

A

Alexander Bangert

Perhaps that you haven't had enough practice Tom? The more you fish, the better you'll find you become. You'll develop a feel for it, and your 'river sense' will improve in leaps and bounds.

P

Paddy Thomas

The problem I can see is that you probably haven't serviced your rods recently. A well serviced rod will always be more preferable as it often extends easier and you will find it lasting much longer. I hope that you take my advice and I hope that you have many more fun fishing days.

J

John Anderson

When I am at work I long for the weekend to come round so I can indulge in my favourite pastime of angling. There is nothing better than to sit next to flowing water on a sunny day to take away the past week's tribulations. I suppose this could be construed as total passion.

A

andy lawrence

I think that John Anderson is dead right. Fishing is a great way to clear ones head and have some relaxation. If you catch fish all the better.

C

Carp Angler

Passion, pastime and total addiction, I'm certain that the wife would complain about the ironing pile building up if we did a 3 day session.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Angling is much more than a passion or a pastime to me.

It is a way of life!!!

Matthew Black

Reaction score
Graham, forgive me if I 'edit' you but the way I remember sex is that the more passionate you are, the more you put into it and the longer it lasts, although you still get moans and groans!

Oh, how I enjoy the peaceful nights these days and the passionate mornings watching tench and crucian bubbles pinpricking on the surface, surrounding my crowquill float as it wavers from side to side, and my right hand hovers over the rod in anticipation of a sudden ... oh sh.t, I've just woken up again!

F

Fred Bonney

Member No 0,can anybody else join in?
For me it's just a pastime thats turned into a passion and is now a way of life!

jp

Reaction score
.........and nine of them Fred (Member 0), and over four years old, weird.

Tony Burgess

Reaction score
Passion,pastime getting away from the missus/kids/work.for me it can be any one definition on any given day but at the end it has to be enjoyment.

D

Deck Monkey

There is a difference between passion and obsession. Is supect most anglers are passionate about their sport in their own way. I know I am, but its still a pastime which I practise for relaxation and enjoyment, but I'm definitely passionate about the sport and all its aspects (even if its to slag off pole anlging to my mate who's a pole angler as I know it winds him up a treat and its very funny).