licence fees

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Darren I apologise if I've upset you regarding a concessionary licence, I misunderstood that, but not about buying the licence. If you want to indulge in your sport you are going to have to pay for that pleasure, not a lot by todays standards, a pittance in fact, but you will have to pay.

I, like lots of anglers, pay for a licence as well as club subscriptions plus day tickets when the need arises, in my case for over 50 years and I have never grudged a penny of it. Ok, I get an OAP concession nowadays, most times but not always, but it wouldn't bother me one bit if I had to pay the full amount, I consider it well worth the price for the pleasure I get from my chosen sport. Oh! btw not that its really relevant, but for the last 15 years before I reached 65 I couldn't work because of severe heart problems and got no concessions.

Like I always say, you don't get owt for nowt in this world, and that includes fishing.

F

Fred Bonney

Darren,you are not paying twice to fish. You're paying once to fish, and,once for the right to use two fishing rods 365 days of the year, anywhere a fishery owner, allows you to fish.

P

paul williams 2

Good job we still got a national health service( just!).....and we are all paid up members, healthy and not so healthy.................wheres me coat :)-

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
The Governments tightening up of the Blue/Orange badge holder regulations that has angered Marcel and others has far greater ramifications for disabled persons than just their entitlement to cheap EA licences. It has affected many peoples lives quite drastically and I'm afraid it stems from abuse of a system that was designed to help those most in need. In terms of additional expediture on fishing consequent to the increase we are talking about a 100 yards of line, two packets of pellets, or a couple of pints of maggots! As anglers we seem to love a good moan. I remember the days of regional /river board licences which must have addded up pro rata to more that the cost of a current EA licence. Lets put it in context. My mate pays ?1200 annual green fees at his golf club. Fishing for everybody is a bloody cheap deal and the EA are there for OUR benefit.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Only on rivers pal, dont known about you but I need my piscatorial pep pills at least one a week throughout the year. Should I therefore pay more than you ( and you pay less ) for my EA licence as observers of the traditional season dont get full value for their ?23! Now there's another argument to debate!! That said the work of the EA coninues throughout the whole year but I do enjoy a bit of S**t stirring!!

alan

Reaction score
to really stir it up.

as angling is bragged about as being a sport on which everyone can compete on a level playing field why do disabled people get a discount on the licence?

i can understand a cheaper day/club ticket as there could be limits to what swims can be used etc, but why a cheaper licence?

C

Chris Bishop

Because a lot of them live on benefits, through no fault of their own.

I know a few disabled anglers and how much they get out of it.

I'd like to see them fish for free or a token couple of quid.

I'd also like to se organisations like the EA, which has now become an organisation which promotes fishing for its wider social and environmental benefits, look into subsidising tackle, transport and disabled-friendly waters.

alan

Reaction score
True Chris, but on the oppisite end you have the ones who work, and also get a disabiltiy benifit and the blue badge, why should they pay less?

to make the system fair everyone on benifits should be allowed a cheaper licence. the PDSA opperate a system where anyone claming housing benifit gets free treatment for their pets, any one who dosnt get it pays full price.

L

Les Clark

Fair answer Chris ,but what about the unemployed ,they also live on benefits but still have to pay the full licence fee ,maybe they are classed as scroungers and should`nt have hobby`s ,becouse they should be looking for work 7 days a week ?

C

Chris Bishop

I'm talking about people whose disability means they have to live on benefits.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Many of the posts on here show a total lack of understanding of the plight of the disabled.

I have first hand experience of disability having seriously injured my hands in 1992. I was registered disabled from 1993 - 1998 and for many years received disability living allowance at the lower rate.

Whilst I carried on working full-time the effect on my income was enormous with it initally falling to a third of what it had previosuly been.

Under the huge financial pressure my marriage collapsed and I ended up going back to university as a lone parent on income support.

I had to dictate all of my exams at university because I couldn't write for extended periods. I typed using voice activated software.

So why should I have been entitled to concessionary licences:

1. For a decade I was able to fish very little in the winter because of my disability.

2. Through no fault of my own I was only able to earn a fraction of what I had previously earned.

3. My living costs were significantly increased because of my diability.

Today I am almost fully recovered, have retrained as a solicitor and have a decent income. I have no concerns whatsoever in paying a little more so that concessions can be provided to those who are disadvantaged by disability and to OAP's who have already made their contribution to society.

THE EA SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES FOR SUCH MISERLY BEHAVIOUR.

alan

Reaction score
"Many of the posts on here show a sickening disregard for the plight of the disabled"

not at all Andy,

i just cant understand how "a sport that allows everyone to compete on a even level" can allow a disabled person on a low income a cheaper licence, but a 20 year old out of work through no fault of their own on ?40 a week(average jsa) has to pay the full fee, surely they have as much right to a cheaper licence?

C

Chris Bishop

I think Andy's post says it all. My respect for the bloke just went up a few more points.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
"Should I therefore pay more than you ( and you pay less ) for my EA licence as observers of the traditional season don't get full value for their ?23!"

I paid ?24 what's going on there?
No, I look at it that ?24 is for the year, if I don't use it all year round that's my fault.

Disabled/OAP anglers should get a major concession, because that is the situation they have been put in.

Sorry Alan, but the average 20 year old has the opportunity to change their situation. There are a lot of jobs out there paying more than JSA, so no they should not get a concession, IMHO.

alan

Reaction score
"Disabled/OAP anglers should get a major concession, because that is the situation they have been put in."

but what about the ones that work full time earn as much as if not more then the average person, why should they be given it cheaper?

dont get me wrong, im not agaisnt the cheaper licence at all. i just wont to be given a valid reason, and for me a lower income is not a true reason.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I don't know the full facts Alan, so I can't really comment.
All I believe is that if you are disabled/OAP on benefits, you should get a concession.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Let me say first of all that I agree with the rule that disabled/OAP anglers should get a concession I would even agree that there is a case for the severely disabled to get one free of charge. My objection originally was to the point that why should anyone pay anything at all just because the EA say so, in other words I want to go fishing, enjoy the benefits that others have provided and not pay for it.

Were this country to go down the road that Ireland and Scotland have gone and not have a licence at all then the EA would need funding from general taxes and non fishermen, 96% of the population, would have to pay for it as well. I wonder if they would agree to that?

alan

Reaction score
Steve lets put it this way, in Andys case and others like his, people unable to work through disabilties i have no problem with a cheaper licence or anything else for that matter.

what annoys me, is like some one i work with, registered disabled, earns as much as me and gets that topped up so he is on around ?450 a week, why the hell should he and anyone else like that be allowed a cheaper licence?

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Steve (DB) that must be because you get to fish the Bristol Avon with fish in it and I have to fish the River Dee and Weaver with very little in it. Least thats what I tell myself when I blank. Either that or I will have to pay more attention to my direct debits!