Discontinued products......what would you want?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Does anyone use those old star point hooks drennan used to manufacture....? They appeared to offer an advantage, but never really took off.

Use would be too strong a word. I do have the remains of a packet of them kicking around a tacklebox somewhere.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Not a classic then??

Hard to say, I don't recall them being deficient in any way. I suspect it was more a matter of never having any significant catch on them and then never seeing them for sale anywhere. Wouldn't be the first product that's been ignored for no good reason and then disappeared without trace.

I don't know exactly why, I suspected their lack of catalogue or online presence for many years, but many good Drennan products seem to pass me by without me ever becoming aware of them. Either that or I become aware of them just as they disappear without trace from the shops!:mad:;):D

chav professor

Reaction score
I bought about 6 boxes in a discontinued box in size 4 and size 6.... as yet I have not felt inclined to use them... but the idea is sound.

B

Berty

If I want to replace an item of tackle, I quite like the classic spiral weave carbon fibre of the old Drennan range of rods. Ebay is great......

My Drennan big feeder is great for playing chub and can cope with far bigger - the only problem is the reel bands are a bit naff and require black electrical tape to stop the reel moving......

anyone had a similar problem, or better modification?

Cut through the cork handle, strip off the required cork and fit a modern reel fitting, spigot all back together with an offcut of carbon.....job done!

A few have had this done.

chav professor

Reaction score
Cheers Berty!

As regards the star point hook, went this morning with a few lobs...... the hook-point is very susceptible to 'folding' over......... 30 star points going free to a good home lol!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
certainly does.... floating, slow sinking or sinking. Big bait.... bigger fish.
the 12lb line is really visible, often strike before any registration on the tip. cast out, allow some slack to form a bow (12lb line has memory coils from the spool), strike as the line straightens and cuts across the water.

this Chub fell to 12lb line and a whole slice of brown thick sliced Hovis on the surface....
waveney5lber021-Copy.jpg

the thread is interesting though.. stuff gets discontinued as it falls from popularity. Often, an essential pice of terminal tackle, once discontinued gets replaced with something far superior and you get on with it and wonder why you felt that way about the original article!!

Thanks Chav Prof -will give it a go some time.

chav professor

Reaction score
Do it Mark! It takes a bit of getting used to, using large baits, but they are far more selective. Most of the rivers I fish have large numbers of chub in the 2 - 3lb bracket........ It certainly improves your chances of being more selective!

Rickrod

Reaction score
Fox stalker unhooking mat the roll up one not the new safe zone stalker. Its is/was a excellent mat to carry around with you when roving about. Anyone know of a tackle shop with the odd one still for sale

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Cheers Berty!

As regards the star point hook, went this morning with a few lobs...... the hook-point is very susceptible to 'folding' over......... 30 star points going free to a good home lol!

I was fond of these hooks and would continue to use them if they were still available. I would be more than willing to pay your asking price!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Having one hell of a problem finding Drennan Polemaster nose cones and Preston ones too. I managed it by buying two Preston ones from what must be old stock, but seems like both companies have stopped making them. Absolutely indespensible I would have thought, stop you from cracking your pole sections together! Only thing worse than the sound of crack carbon is bending metal on cars...

laguna

Reaction score
Richworth white seed mix boillies.
The original and the best John Wilson avon/quiver.
Vanden eyned "Beet" groundbait.
Terry eustace/gold label "The rig" . Best helicopter rig i`ve used.

Here mate

Caught my eye that one as beetroot and beet greens especially are very effective (high in antioxidants) mixed with other groundbaits or use fresh as a base mix additive or liquidised sugar beet.

---------- Post added at 02:00 ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 ----------

I own and still use my original Diawa Harrier 120M for trotting and silvers which as I remember, superseded the Abu 506 closed face (the main difference having anti back wind as I remember?)

Years before that I bought for the princely sum of £7 a close faced reel called the "One Touch" - maker unknown!

If anyone knows who made the One Touch I would be very grateful or if anyone has one and would like to sell please get in touch! :D

It was a great reel with a simple lever mechanism which once depressed using a forefinger released line for casting and was as smooth as..

sam vimes

Reaction score
Having one hell of a problem finding Drennan Polemaster nose cones and Preston ones too. I managed it by buying two Preston ones from what must be old stock, but seems like both companies have stopped making them. Absolutely indespensible I would have thought, stop you from cracking your pole sections together! Only thing worse than the sound of crack carbon is bending metal on cars...

Jeff,
I missed this first time around. Have a look for Trevor Jeans custom made, custom fit PTFE nose cones. Clicky.

agamemnon

Reaction score
if im fishing for bream/tench or down a local carp puddle stocked with mid doubles, people walk up and ask if ive robbed a museum. i have the original 1980's optonics and i use a pair of 1.75 bruce and walker rods with full cork handles.
if i had a chance to buy a rod then it would be a dennis white avon rod. not sure if this rod came before the john wilson avon but its far superior than the wilson rod.
i still use drennon continental hooks as well. i love them and its so rare to get a hook pull that i have never felt the need to swap to another brand

flightliner

Reaction score
Another two brand spanking new Michell match reels - right hand wind-, I,m ok for the moment, the two I have still work fine after decades of use but two more to lay away "just in case"

Red Army

Reaction score
Image Punch Bread Board...although it's not totally discontinued since I've heard dragon Carp are now selling some imitations, not sure how good though :rolleyes:

robthomo

Reaction score
Tricast Legend carp rods, Nash canvas overwrap (for purely nostalgic reasons there's better modern alternativies), original yellow transparent Gardner barbed baiting needle.

Ones I've not owned but would like include many of the North Western rods, a crying shame that they ceased production.

red creel

Reaction score
Browning Revolver Centrepin, best trotting pin i have ever owned by a country mile i could kick myself now for selling it many moon's ago.They do come up on "the bay" from time to time but the last one i saw was way beyond my means.