hook corrosion?

Robert Draper

Reaction score
I think that one thing that needs to be considered is that leaving hooks in various corrosive liquids may be the worst case scenario. I used to cast bronze for a hobby and it wasn't unusual to get bits of shrapnel from the first pour or get the odd bit of swarf or flash embedded in the skin. When you are casting dressed as a viking there isn't much scope for protective clothing. After a week or so these bits of metal would surface and be easily picked out, I get the impression that they would drop out naturally after a few weeks if near the surface in a mobile area of skin. There may be other bits that have migrated inward but since these have not caused me any trouble so far I don't think they are much of a problem. It may be that fish hooks are similar in which case the hook rotting completely will not be a problem most of the time as it would have been shed long before.

Having said that, I tend to use barbless these days and as small a hook as I can get away with.

bobwilde

Reaction score
For the past 10 years I have used circle hooks, and never have to leave a hook in a fish or snip it off. I only fish for predators , barracuda, threadfin, tarpon, snapper etc who always run, so no need to strike the hook home. Of course it would not work with every species in the Uk, but would be worth a try for anything that hits and runs like bass.

Out all day today just a few snapper and a nice grouper for dinner, rains coming in around 6 weeks time then we will really get some fishing. I hear it is nice for you all in the UK so enjoy it while you can.