Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hook corrosion?

Default hook corrosion?

Following claims that snipped-off hooks corrode out of fish in a short time, I thought I'd see what happened to hooks of various sizes left in household acids.
    Nothing very scientific as yet but my curiosity is aroused to run more tests.
    I left some in plain tap water (ours on Anglesey is slightly acid) and after a month, they've just gone a bit rusty. I put some in malt vinegar and not a thing has happened to them and I put a final batch into fresh-squeezed lemon juice and the smaller sizes, 12s, have only eroded a little.
    I think I need to try some in sea water and in something nearer to fishes' stomach acid, like Hydrochloric acid.
    Not very encouraging for those who accept that hooks 'rot out' if left in a fish, is it?
    Anyone else want to try it with whatever they might think could work?
    Any ideas?

Blog Entries

I asked Neville Fickling about this at a recent PAC meeting. He seemed to think they rot out in a 'short time' by which he inferred meant days rather than weeks.

I disagree, thinking it's time we all used stainless hooks for pike instead.
    So many cormorants.... so few recipes.

Does he have any proof of that, Geoff, or is it speculation?

Blog Entries

No it was opinion - but based a great deal of experience. Unlike my own opinion which is based on a gut feeling.

If it was me with a piece of metal stuck in my innards I'd prefer it to be stainless than some rotting piece of cheap steel coated in heavy metal. Barry Sheens leg always comes to mind in these conversations :-)

Well, I've heard of all sorts of creatures surviving with free-floating bits of plastic and metal lodged in their guts for quite some time but I think that having something actually piercing the stomach wall or associated organs may impair the function of that organ (without considering the pain aspect).
    I have an idea that sea water and strong stomach acids might do the trick on the 'cheaper hooks'. I think I'll give it a go.
    Your stainless steel comment suggests that small hooks might be the way to go in respect of survival.
    I wonder if Barry can walk very well these days? Must be a gas at airport security check-ins. 'Er, just unscrew yer leg, Barry, and put it in that tray. Pick it up on the other side. Now take yer shoe off and hop it through the scanner please."

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    Well, I've heard of all sorts of creatures surviving with free-floating bits of plastic and metal lodged in their guts for quite some time but I think that having something actually piercing the stomach wall or associated organs may impair the function of that organ (without considering the pain aspect).
    I have an idea that sea water and strong stomach acids might do the trick on the 'cheaper hooks'. I think I'll give it a go.
    Your stainless steel comment suggests that small hooks might be the way to go in respect of survival.
    I wonder if Barry can walk very well these days? Must be a gas at airport security check-ins. 'Er, just unscrew yer leg, Barry, and put it in that tray. Pick it up on the other side. Now take yer shoe off and hop it through the scanner please."
    barry sheene died a number of years ago from cancer so i doubt he walks at all.
    i think thats what they called me.

Blog Entries

Waggy: Here's an article about ss hooks from a few years ago.

Keep us informed about the experiments.

Cheers, Geoff.

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by the blanker View Post
    barry sheene died a number of years ago from cancer so i doubt he walks at all.
    Grief, so he did. I'd clean forgotten .

I remember reading something about Eels kept in tanks that managed to get rid of hooks after a day or so. I have caught the very occasional Carp that has had other hooks in it but they were very small hooks which were prob from a break off on someone pleasure fishing for smaller stuff. I would have thought if fish could not rid themselves of hooks we would be catching fish with hooks in them more often.

About hook corrosion on a slightly different track - one trick to avoid corrosion of the hook point when long session fishing when your bait and hook could be out there for days is to dip the point in Vaseline before casting. This wont impact the penetration but may help to protect the point from water corrosion.

Good point Geoff (don't excuse the pun), I had never thought of it that way. First impressions are favourable, it's just hard when "conventional" wisdom has told me for so long that the opposite is the right way to go. Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast