Hair Rig for smaller fish ??

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Being more of a traditionalist when away from carp fishing, i have always mounted bait on hook. But things change & I would like to try the hair rig for smaller stuff.

Does the hair rig becomes less effective when down at around the size 16&18 hookand will it cost me fish as opposed to mounting on hook ??

sagalout

Reaction score
I don't have any idea, but, my normal ledger rig is a 3/8oz semi fixed lead and a four inch hook link terminated with a sixteen wide gape hair rigged with a 6mm hard pellet. I do very well on the local club waters with this rig catching fish up to 15lb. When pole fishing I often use an 18 wide gape with a hair rigged hard pellet (4, 6 or 8mm).

I don't seem to loose any more fish than those fishing heavier tackle but I do appear to catch more.

If I am using a hookable bait (sweetcorn, meat, etc) I don't normally use a hair rig.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
I don't have any idea, but, my normal ledger rig is a 3/8oz semi fixed lead and a four inch hook link terminated with a sixteen wide gape hair rigged with a 6mm hard pellet. I do very well on the local club waters with this rig catching fish up to 15lb. When pole fishing I often use an 18 wide gape with a hair rigged hard pellet (4, 6 or 8mm).

I don't seem to loose any more fish than those fishing heavier tackle but I do appear to catch more.

If I am using a hookable bait (sweetcorn, meat, etc) I don't normally use a hair rig.

Would you just use a simple mono hair ??

richiekelly

Reaction score
if i was going to use a hook as small as an 18 i would use a mono hair with a bait band on it although i find it difficult now to even tie an 18.

cg74

Reaction score
if i was going to use a hook as small as an 18 i would use a mono hair with a bait band on it although i find it difficult now to even tie an 18.

Worth bearing in mind; some hooks marked size 18 (Korum S3 & S4's) are the same size as a 12 of a different pattern (Drennan Carbon Feeder).

Hair-rigging for small fish. Proving to be very effective for roach (and even a biggy is still a small fish;))