Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sick water?

Paul Williams Guest

Yesterday i passed over the Lower Severn on my way to the Teme, i always take time to look at the "colour" and yesterday it just didn't look "right"...it is fishing very hit and miss too.
    A gut feeling tells me all is not well but how do i, just an angler get to have the water tested?.....i know the EA regulary "test" water and tell us all is fine but how do we know?
    Anyone have any ideas? or could this be the first showing of all the disenfectant used in the containment of FMD?

Paul Thompson Guest

Paul, you may have read elsewhere on the forum, that I fished (badly) the larford stretch today. The water was full of orange/brown sediment, and there was a lot of soapy stuff on the top. I assumed both were to do with the rainfall and boat traffic. Is that the case or otherwise.
    On stretches of the great ouse, especially at sharnbrook mill, its like a huge box of detergents have been poured in., and it stinks too. I've always thought it has something to do with the actions of the weir combined with all the chemicals draining off the arable land. Any ideas?

Paul Williams Guest

It isn't looking right is it?....the Wye never gets to be this colour, i know they are different rivers flowing over differrent land but the colour in the Severn yesterday just didn't look natural.....why i don't know and we may be clutching at straws talking about chemicals but there is something not right, i just hope i'm being over sensitive and it all comes good!

Paul Thompson Guest

Talking of things not right, i swaer i saw a cormorant chick on the river today. I didn't recognise it as any other waterbird, and it wasn't accompanied by adults. Curioser and curioser ;|

Paul Thompson Guest

I obvoiusly can't swaer proparlee eeveer

Paul Williams Guest

I can swear like a trooper! LOL

Paul Thompson Guest

I bloody swore when that second boat came within 10ft of me and cut my line(and nearly filled me waders). And to think I shouted thankyou instead ) LOL

Chris Bishop Guest

Surfactants - ie the stuff that makes the lather -from washing powder, washing-up liquid, soap etc. It biodegrades really slowly and gets into waterways via "clean" sewage effluent.

This probably accounts for some of the foaming.

Gary Knowles Guest

Paul,

Fished at Severn Stoke on Saturday from lunchtime until well into dark (naughty boy!). Two rods, quality bait, good rigs, river level slightly up and couloured, warm overcast day in fact everything was perfect.

Not a bite - not a single rap, and neither did anyone else fishing that day.

Spoke to a couple of locals who said it is fishing appaulling this year, totally dead. They had heard that there are some major structural work on the Clywedog dam and water is constantly being pumped of this. I don't know if its true, but I do know something drastic is wrong with the severn at the moment.

Rob Brownfield Guest

My local loch was "foamed" up at the weekend. Now, this is a very remote water so i know its not "sop" etc..but the keeper recons its to do with the algal blooms. It does seem to happen when we have had a few days sunshine followed by wind and rain. The fishing slows a little too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast