birds reacting to fish

rob richbell

Reaction score
This is generated by the post about pike taking ducklings. I have seen Barnacle (?) geese flapping their wings and paddling, almost stamping their feet at carp whilst surface fishing. The geese had very small goslings in attendance so was not totally sure if it was to drive off a potential predator or, my thoughts, drive off a competitor from the floating dog biscuits.

On the Kennet in 1 particular swim which has an overhanging tree on the far bank, and relatively slow shallow water, i have, on 3 or 4 occaisons this season, seen a moorhen staring fixedly at the water in the margin from the bank whilst issuing an alarm call and then flailing the water with their feet before getting back to the bank. After a couple of these actions it seemed to settle down and swam around normally. Having caught a 10lb 4oz pike from near the tree on luncheon meat, is it likely that the moorhen saw a/the pike and was attempting to drive it away, or are both myself and the moorhen going doolally.

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
I the case of the Barnacle Geese, I think they'd know the difference between a carp and a pike. Carp have eyes on the sides of their heads, which indicates they're mostly grazers and unlikely to present any kind of threat. Pike have forward pointing eyes, which most prey animals recognise as a predator and a complete giveaway, regardless if they've ever seen one before or not. This is why most animals shy away from humans, even though we don't think of ourselves as particularly predatory. They were going nuts at a competitor for food IMO.

In the Moorhen's case, it's quite possible it was aware of the presence of a pike and acted accordingly. I've seen 3-4 Moorhen chicks getting it from pike on different occasions. I've never seen any other birds getting it, which suggests Moorhens are right up there on the pikes' menu. I think it's their small size, dark colouration and abnormally huge legs and feet. I think the pike find them irresistible.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Very interesting Rob. I've seen the reverse too, where a shoal of carp drove off ducks which were eating 'their' chum-mixers! That was at Champs Farm nr Canterbury about 20 years ago.

noknot

Reaction score
Birds can give great indication in locating Carp also. Always watch the birds, as they feed on similar food items, and will also be chaneled by the wind, where there are birds, it's a good bet the Carp are not that far away!

Colin North the one and only

Reaction score
It is a kind of irony though when they predator becomes the prey. My wife took a picture of a Bittern, with a pike of about 10oz very firmly in its beak.I think I posted it on here once but that was before the new management moved in and all my pictures disappeared. I've tried posting since the change, but only ever succeeded in posting stuff in my own gallery.

rob richbell

Reaction score
Geoff
I have seen plenty of carp disturbing wildfowl before but had always thought it was just accidental, ie the odd carp surfaces or grabs a bait where a duck or whatever happened to be but i had not noticed the interaction as deliberate, but, from what you saw, many of those encounters may well have been the carp deliberately moving off a competitor.
i guess the geese i saw were feeling particularly beligerent/confident that day as the carp they were driving off were mid teens to possible low twenties. Made me curse a bit, only managed 1 before the geese took over and it had taken most of the morning to get them showing interest in the bait and in range of my single mixer on a size 10 (don't particularly like using controller floats)

matthew barter

Reaction score
Rob, I shouldn't be surprised if it's true. They are certainly aware of underwater predators. On a few occassions I've seen geese and swans go absolutely mad when an otter or otters were swimming under them. You can see them trying to keep the otter in view (the swans even put their heads under the surface to relocate it) while putting up a terrific racket and doing that top water stomp you observed.

Colin there are a few bitterns around where I live and I've heard them but to see one would be amazing, to see one with prey is fantastic. It must have been a special day.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I've tried posting since the change, but only ever succeeded in posting stuff in my own gallery.
Hi Colin - you can link to any image which is already on the net, including any which you have already uploaded to your gallery. There's now a 'insert photos and images' icon in the icon tools which should help.
What you can't do is upload an image directly from your HD into the forum - we tried every which way but it's a 'no-way', sorry.