Thermal boots !

tortoise100

Reaction score
I have just bought some shakespear thermal boots on ebay size 12/13 and aside from the fact it has taken me getting on for three weeks to get them due to the seller using city link who are very inflexible and do not have a local depot to me .They are not even close to being a 12 my size 11 wellies are bigger than these without the liner so no good at all on that front I also recieved two left feet .
I have just been reading the reviews on this site can't think why i didn't before the purchase and seen that other people have had two left feet or it could be normal though I can see no reason why it would be .
This post is to ask if anyone can recomend some guenuine size 12 thermal boots the reason i whent for the ebay shakespear root was simply price i got them new including delivery for £21 but I now realise that was not worth it .
The grandslam and ron thompson boots are all the same as the shakespear ones anyway so will not fit .
Favorite right now are the skeetex ones if they are big enough falling that I have no idea and no idea if they are big enough so not prepared to waste petrol to find out if the shop does not have other options .
I have some friends with thermal field boots but they are not waterproof enough so I will only go there as a last resort.
Dont have to be fishing boots if anybody has any ideas ?
When you are size 12 /13 it would seem you are just not supposed to get cold feet no idea what all the bigger sizes have to do ?

tortoise100

Reaction score
I like the look of the korum ones but I am after extream warmth ,I had always had the impression that the fleece liners are warmer than neoprene .
I was thinking about waiting untill the next time I am up near mullarkys then I could try on a few differnt types but they only list the korum ones up to size 11 ....******!!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Try looking up Muck Boot Co. Derwent, Tay Sport, theses are wellies and people that have them swear by them and all reviews I have read gave good accounts. Pricey though.

Muck Boots are simply brilliant. I've been looking for a boot this good for years & my feet have never been remotely cold since I bought a pair..My mate has just bought a pair of Muckboot Tays so he can keep his Derwents for the stable and use the Tays for fishing. They are not cheap but well worth it. Shop around...there are deals to be found.IMO they are the best fishing boots out there.

Last edited:

stikflote

Reaction score
Dayglowfroggy,

Are you sure they are both left feet,? my grandson has some shakspeare boots they are for either foot
and my hotfoot boots do not have a left and right foot ,both boots are the same similar
to shakys,
the sundridge hotfoot boots have a lot deeper inner sole so should be warmer

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
I have a pair of Sundridge boots. I think you'll find that the boots are not 'handed'. They don't need to be because they have such thick liners. An interesting historical fact is that footwear wasn't 'handed' until, I think, late into the 18th Century. Certainly not for the poor man anyway.

Only problem I have with the Sundridge boots is that the fleece lining has a sort of mesh outer which tends to tear. They do sell replacements so it shouldn't be a problem.

tortoise100

Reaction score
After a bit more reaserch it would seem that far to many people are saying that these boots are not handed yet to look at them from underneath they clearly curve of to the left , why would they not just make them straight ?it makes no sense to me even if i swap boots my right foot is always pointing out to the right seems a bit odd .
I have also been in contact with the seller and have been assured that they should be tight when you first get them as the liner will flatten down and if they are not tight to start with they will slip around ?

Having just worn them for an hour I can say that they are starting to settle down a bit so I might keep them and get some better ones when these start to wear out as i havn't got the extra £30 it would cost to get the skeetex ones and I need them this sunday for pike fishing in the snow .

barbelbuster

Reaction score
If it is any help I take a size 9/1/2 in a shoe.
My Skee Tex boots were bought as 11 to 13 at lease I seem to think they were any way the liner is marked 44/46.
With a thickish sock these just for o.k.
Right about the handing though they fit either foot.
Yes they are expensive but they are very good.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I would go with Skippy on what he said, but the boots cost about £75, wouldn't change mine, best boot around IMO.

Now if you want a boot that will keep your feet warm and dry, and cost around £50 try Crubs Boot's. www.johnsonrosstackle.co.uk.

Worth every penny, i also have a pair of these, like having hand warmers in you boots.

Hope this helps

mick b

Reaction score
Thermal boots

Muck Boot Tays best winter boots I've ever worn, warm as toast, brilliant sole and very well researched by people who have obviously been out in the mud and snow rather than live in a design office.

tortoise100

Reaction score
Since my last post i have given the boots a 2 hour trail around the house and changed my mind again they are just not comfortable enough the liners did give a bit but my toes still felt squashed and in such a state would feel cold and uncomfortable very fast .
I am absoloutly positive that these boots are suposed to be left and right and that I have two lefts it just makes no sense that they would make all left footed boots for no advantage at all over making them straight and compleatly un handed i just think they have been packed wrong at the factory and it might have been happening so often that lots of people have got two lefts or two rights .
I want to resell these boots to get my money back as if i send them back to the seller i will have to pay the postage anyway but whoever buys them would just say the same as me so i think it might be better to send them back to the seller and just take a hit on the postage.Note to self do not buy thermal boots online.
It worries me that people have bought the sketeex boots in a size to big when i am already at the extream end of the sizeing ,does anybody know if the shakespear sizing is the same as the skeetex they are an obvioius copy in every other way.?
Unless i can try on the skeetex or get an answer to the sizing conundrum I think I should look all these other boots recomended.
I don't think i should buy any more thermal boots online unless there is actuall proof from someone who is a size 12 that they will fit .

Last edited:

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Sorry tigger, I have a pair and even when wearing thick hiking socks I still get cold feet. They are comfortable though and easy to walk in. A good spring to autmn pair and not to bad in winter if walking, no good if sat still.

nick dv

Reaction score
Skeetex for ultimate warmth but something like the Chub boot for lots of walking, at least that's IMHO ;)

Cheers, Nick :)

tortoise100

Reaction score
I am in a dilema what i want is ultimate warmth ,not to worried about walking long distance in them .
I am not convinced that any of the neopren ones are warm enough for sitting in freezing conditions for long periods.
My friend has neopren wellies not sure what make but they are fishing ones he still felt the need to get some skeetex field boots for proper cold weather.
I think I will have to call some retailers to find out if they know that the size 12/13 really is 12/13 unlike in the shakespear/granslam/ron thompsons.

If as i suspect they are not then I will have to explore the derri boots ,crubs ,sundridge hotfoot boots but £50 realy is my top budget so some of the others that look very good are not in my bracket .

stikflote

Reaction score
ive been in tackle shop today shakespeare thermal boots are made for either foot ,priced at £20,
ive also had a look at my gransons ,his are the same they do not have a right and left,

neither do my Sundrige hotfoot boots which are definitely warmer ,due having thicker
removable inner sole

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry tigger, I have a pair and even when wearing thick hiking socks I still get cold feet. They are comfortable though and easy to walk in. A good spring to autmn pair and not to bad in winter if walking, no good if sat still.

Hey WF, no need to be sorry m8. I don't get cold feet in mine so they suite me fine. If I'm stationary on a bank and out of water then my favoured boots are Scarpa mountaineering boots but they're near the £200 mark so not to cheap. In all honesty though I don't think there is a pair of boots ever been invented to keep your feet truely warm when sitting in one place for a long period in really low temp's. I think it's a case of get wellingtons if your gonna get wet feet and boots if you can keep out of water.

A

alan whittington

I am now on my second pair of goretex lined leather outdoor boots,my present pair are from Clarks,i also wear sealskin waterproof socks,i cant actually remember the last time i had cold feet,and they are almost like wearing slippers,having paid a fortune out on skeetex and sundridge boots,every two winters a new pair for me and they are total poop to walk in,its a pleasure to have something that i can use treatment on them to maintain them,the first pair lasted 12 years,before the lace hook broke(i since had it repaired at simpsons),but a birthday present had already been bought(so i have a pair waiting as spare).

Last edited: