Colne Valley waters under threat

Phil Hatton 2

Reaction score
Picked up the news of this on another forum. The new proposed High Speed London to Birmingham rail link is likely to impact on a number of well known venues including Savay and Korda. There is more detailed info and an online petition at ...Stop HS2 (High Speed Rail) Petition

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
This thing beggars belief. At a time when we are told there is no alternative but to cut public spending massively they plan to spend goodness knows how much on this to save 15 minutes on the journey time to Birmingham ? Who is going to use this ? Its an absoute disgrace.

Quite apart from the fact its going right under where I live I'd be signing the petition anyway. The route just beggars belief...viaducts across lakes & rivers, tunnels through SSSI's & under villages and right through one of the prettiest parts of the country when theres a perfectly good rail link already there. Personally I'd rather see my taxes spent on a few more schools & hospitals,more nurses,the Harrier fleet retained and maybe a few snow ploughs & a bucket or two of grit.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
From what I've heard the plan is likely to be scrapped due to the costings; current economic market and the environmental impact.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Picked up the news of this on another forum. The new proposed High Speed London to Birmingham rail link is likely to impact on a number of well known venues including Savay and Korda. There is more detailed info and an online petition at ...Stop HS2 (High Speed Rail) Petition

How could a rail link from London to Birmingham cut through Denham?, even with a bit of a curve in it?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
How could a rail link from London to Birmingham cut through Denham?, even with a bit of a curve in it?

The proposed route will follow what's already there wherever it can.So far as I can make out [and its not easy to follow] the HS2 follows the existing Chiltern Line as far as Ruislip then cuts across open country clipping Denham,over the lakes & canals at Harefield [Savay etc] under the M25 and then broadly follows the route of the Aylesbury road passing under Chalfont St Peter & St Giles,Gerrards Cross and emerging near Amersham before hammering across the Chilterns to Brum. According to one site it will pass within 50 meters of Denham Green !

I live in St Peter so naturally I have got the right arse but that is not really my point. I just dont see how this can be justified when so many more worthy projects are being binned. And for what ? To save 15 minutes on a journey from London to Birmingham ? Who for ? This has White Elephant writ large all over it.

The existing Chiltern Line will get me to Birmingham quicker than the HS2 because I'll first have to travel up to London to get on it. The maths just dont work. I cannot help but think there is more to this...like who gets the contracts & in return for what ?

---------- Post added at 06:05 ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 ----------

From what I've heard the plan is likely to be scrapped due to the costings; current economic market and the environmental impact.

I hope you're right. This is just a plain stupid idea.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Ah, but its so 'The City' can prosper even more.

Its just been announced on local BBC news that Durham County Council has had its road gritting/salting budget cut by over 50% and the cash has been diverted to areas of greater need. What a joke this 'Big Society' Government is.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Agreed. They think they have the mandate to do whatever they like...they dont and the student thing is just the beginning.I didn't vote to be bled dry so that my taxes could be spent on showpiece **** like the HS2.Its a disgrace.

richiekelly

Reaction score
its the same old story of lie through their teeth promise the earth then do whatever they want,they sicken me.

john have they said what these "areas of greater need" are? you can bet it wont be for the need of the public,perhaps its to pay for a xmas p**s up.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Not sure blanker, but the materials already ordered have been blocked.
Also, the Durham and Darlington Acute Hospital Trusts had just donated an extra £1m to the County Council for the specific purpose of keeping strategic areas, like roads to doctors surgeries, local shopping areas and schools, clear so to lessen the likelihood of people falling and breaking bones etc.
A good idea in theory, if they can now get the grit/salt.

Last edited: