BREAM BEHAVIOUR

Wayne T

Reaction score
I am fishing the Thames this Saturday on the hunt for a few big Bream. A couple of weekends ago while fishing a particular stretch in the area, I hit into 5 or 6 skimmers in the space of about an hour. Can I take the presence of skimmers as indication that there are fully grown Bream in the area? Do they shoal together?
Thanks.W.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wayne.
They are noted for being a shoal fish, so if you are catching a few skimmers, or even before you start catching skimmers, bait up as usual, then try a smaller bed of bait a few yds away from your main baiting area, a sthe bigger ones tend to hold back. Also try a pice of French maize on the hook, as I found only the bigger bream took this bait, over a small bed of micro pellet.

Wayne T

Reaction score
Cheers Baz,
I wasn't sure whether the bigger fish would be shoaling together elsewhere. I'll give the second bed of bait a try and keep you posted should I get a result!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
In my experience Skimmers can often be caught closer in while mature Bream are often further out.

Therefore that's strength to the case that they are often found in separate shoals.

J

jason fisher

i had 1 skimmer in a particular swim on the thames once and went back the next week to fish seriously for em, i caught 70lb of the buggers first try.

Wayne T

Reaction score
Well it sounds like I could be kept busy whether there are any mature bream about or not! I didn't really examine the fish properly when I was into them a few weeks ago and I keep thinking/hoping that maybe these are silver bream as opposed to skimmers, which would be nice. Can anybody tell me a definitive way to tell the difference ?