Shark attack....

A

Alexander Bangert

I heard a rumour that there had been a number of Great-whites spotted off the Cornish coast recently. Is this true, and is anyone out there shark fishing on the back of it?

A

Adam Laird

I think you get great whites off any coast - even in the mediterranean. In the med, though, they only go there to mate - and there has never been an attack. But - do you ever fish for these monsters?

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
I cant think of the guy,s name now Henry something or other (sorry Henry). The guy that does the fishing programmes on Sky was on a boat a couple of years ago just off Penzance and filmed a great white swimming round their boat.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Henry Gilbey per chance ???

It would be nice to think that there are great whites swimming off our coasts out there.It must be an awesome sight to see oneswimming right up close to your boat.

I wonder if ron has seen them in the waters around south africa ???

BarryC

Reaction score
There was a report of a Great White down here in Cornwall last year together with a photo. I beleive it was proven to be a hoax and the photo was taken abroad on holiday.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Thats the guy Nick. The skipper he was out withis I believe an experienced and wellrespected skipper too so Im going for a yes vote that there is indeed great whites swimming of our coasts meself.

There was reports of one seen off Newquay the year before last. I dont think the hoax last year in the Sun has any bearing on it.

I was in the Farne Islands 5 years ago and I was sat having a cuppa with the skipper of a pleasure boat while all the rest of the trip went to climb up Grace Darlings light house. He was telling me that there werent so many seals around on that day as the day previous they had been watching a very large shark coming in close to the rocks after them.

Who knows?

S

Sean Meeghan

Most if not all Great White sightings off the UK coasts are basking sharks. I don't know of any confirmed sightings (ie by someone reputable who can positively identify a Gt White). Makos are big an feed on seals too.

Personally I'll still be going surfing in Cornwall in May. /forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
I dont think for a second that someone of Henry Gilbys experience plus the skipper and mate would ever mistake a basking shark for a great white Sean. Thats like mistaking avauxall for a porche.

Maybe a holidaymaker who knows nothing of fishing but never an experienced angler in a million years. Not something as different in appearance as those two.

I agree with you on the mako or possibly porbeagle on the other one but as I said who knows. The guy just said a very large shark.