Drennan IM9 Finesse/Classic 13ft Float Rod ??

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
I was considering the Drennan Series 7 Silverfish (£90), but i am getting mixed feedback, so now considering the new 13ft Drennan IM9 Finesse/Classic (£159).
Being pretty new out i'm guessing there will be few people who have got them, but if on the off chance you have seen or used one, and can confirm whether the extra expense is worth it, i would appreciate some feedback.

Many thanks & happy new year to you all

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
What do you want the rod to do ? I've just got a Drennan Matchpro Ultralight for silvers and it is an absolute dream of a rod. £119.

Dont know the Finesse but for not that much more money compared to the S7 the Matchpro is different class.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
What do you want the rod to do ? I've just got a Drennan Matchpro Ultralight for silvers and it is an absolute dream of a rod. £119.

Dont know the Finesse but for not that much more money compared to the S7 the Matchpro is different class.

Your gonna love this, but the IM9 appeals because i can transport assembled :D:D.

Otherwise my decision would be Matchpro Ultralight

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Ha ha ha ha ha.....then I'm afraid on this occasion not even your friendly personal shopper can help you ! All I will say is that the Finesse will have to be a bit special to beat the Ultralight...wonderful rod.

Transporting a 13ft Match Rod assembled ???? :eek: That's asking for trouble surely !

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Ha ha ha ha ha.....then I'm afraid on this occasion not even your friendly personal shopper can help you ! All I will say is that the Finesse will have to be a bit special to beat the Ultralight...wonderful rod.

Transporting a 13ft Match Rod assembled ???? :eek: That's asking for trouble surely !

It breaks down to 2x6ft lengths with seperate 1ft butt section unscrews seperately. Its very clever ;)

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Devilish clever these Chinese. A 3 piece rod..who would ever have thought of that ?:D

I knew you would come round in the end :wh

Does anyone know if "IM9" means or is an abbreviationg for anything ??

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I knew you would come round in the end :wh

Does anyone know if "IM9" means or is an abbreviationg for anything ??

IM stands for Intermediate Modulus and in simple terms denotes the grade of cf used. As I understand it [broadly speaking] the higher the IM the inherently stretchier [but also more fragile] the cf is. My understanding is also that it dont count for diddly as how much of that cf you use and what resins etc are used to bond it determine the ultimate performance of the rod blank. So...just because the cf used is IM9 as opposed to [say] IM7 or IM8 doesn't necessarily mean that the finished blank is lighter,stiffer,stronger,better etc . It might be...depends on what else has gone into the process,who did it and how well that's been done.

Check out the Harrisons Rods site. There's a quite good explanation of it all on there.

The upshot seems to be that it is less important what grade of cf was used than how it was used. I doubt we'd notice the difference in performance between an IM8 or IM9 rod from a reputable manufacturer.

This is why a cheaper rod made from a blank containing lower grade cf stuck together with horsehoof glue and churned out by the container load retailing at £15 is prone to exploding into a million pieces without warning.You pays your money etc

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have the origional im8's and im9's and they are great rods. I do like the im9's though, they feel brilliant.
Saying that they ain't in the same league as the normarks !

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Received the Drennan IM9 Finesse rod this morning. Just what i was after. Lightweight, delicate & compliments my centerpin & closed face reels perfectly. Where the extension butt section screws in is almost impossible to see. Looking forward to giving it plenty of use over the years.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Received the Drennan IM9 Finesse rod this morning. Just what i was after. Lightweight, delicate & compliments my centerpin & closed face reels perfectly. Where the extension butt section screws in is almost impossible to see. Looking forward to giving it plenty of use over the years.

I hope it turns out to be a corker for you. If it's anything like the older drennan im9's it'll be brilliant. I'll be interested in the butt and if the screw in section keeps it's tight fit.