Built cane rod kits

chav professor

Reaction score
Has anyone used Norman Agutters, it appears to be an on-line company that manufactures cane rods and more specifically for me, split cane rod blanks that you can assemble yourself. prices appear reasonable considering the cost of many built examples. Kits start at around £150.

If anyone has any experience of the company, i would be very interested. could be too good to be true.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Chav,

That seems very very cheap to me for a Cane kit £150, i just wonder what kind of quality the cane is.

I know repairs that have cost far more than that. Not knocking it as i dont know anything about the company, just cant get over the price.

Good luck

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I bought a cane carp rod kit from Agutters to put together to mark the millenium,11ft 2lb test have caught carp to 15lb with it - easy to put together and well worth the money - crimson silk whippings,rubber button on the end of the butt,flared trumpet end to the handle,agate lined butt & tip ring - the suggesting ring spacing was a bit off,but customizable to whatever you want,cloth bag - brilliant value & something to do during the long dark evenings of winter.

George387

Reaction score
Thats the price of the fly rod kits which is about right as you can pick up brand new cane fly rods for around £120 - £150 depending on size, if you wanted any coarse rods you are looking in excess of £200 for the kits

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Chav,

That seems very very cheap to me for a Cane kit £150, i just wonder what kind of quality the cane is.

I know repairs that have cost far more than that. Not knocking it as i dont know anything about the company, just cant get over the price.

Good luck

That's about the price for a reasonable quality blank Ray. It's the finishing that costs!

---------- Post added at 14:48 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

As George says. it's the fly rods that come in at this price. If you compare the prices to Chapmans' blanks they look good value, but not significantly cheaper.

rainy22

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
new style Christian Audigier handbags

Last edited by a moderator:

dezza

Reaction score
I made a very nice 8 foot split cane fly rod from a Norman Agutter kit. The cane is impregnated and as far as I can see there is nothing wrong with it. The fittings were of the best.

Maybe the cane was made in China. It certainly was well made and that's where Tonking bamboo comes from anyway.

I would recommend them

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
The company in question has been going for some years now, though they used to be a lot bigger, they even bought out the Marco stock when that old company failed in the Seventies, I am told.

They operate from a house and yard these days but are more than an on-line company as they do take callers and also do repairs.

I haven't ever handled any of their work, but I do know people who have and found them on a par with Chapman's.

Incidentally, for those of you with a good memory, the Norman side of the firm comes from the firm that used to make the Norman Nippy moped. Agutters used to be based in London, but moved to kent at about the time Norman took over, I believe.

Norman Agutters Split Cane Fishing Rods and Tackle

There's file on the left for archives, though the spelling is a crime !

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Split cane priests?!?
Ok, it's good to use up the off-cuts, but at £28 a go...
What next - tip trimmings built into stick-floats with "traditional whippings"?

Dammit, now I've imagined the b. things, I rather fancy a set! I'm so shallow...

chav professor

Reaction score
Thanks for your input chaps!! Mmmmm. Now I need a taper for a good barbel rod - any suggestions as I'm not sure Agutters or Chapmans have such a thing.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Nice one, Colin!
I was just thinking "what a shame they don't sell coarse rod blanks", when I found them - filed under "Bamboo fly-rod blanks".
I'd still go for the meatal priest/marrow spoon combination, though!

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Nice one, Colin!
I was just thinking "what a shame they don't sell coarse rod blanks", when I found them - filed under "Bamboo fly-rod blanks".
I'd still go for the meatal priest/marrow spoon combination, though!
I'll mention that to John [at Scottie] and get the heading changed to Bamboo Rod Blanks.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Thanks for your input chaps!! Mmmmm. Now I need a taper for a good barbel rod - any suggestions as I'm not sure Agutters or Chapmans have such a thing.

I'll measure up my Constable Forty Fore if you like. I agree with you on the Chapman rods, the tip isn't soft enough (the only way I can explain it) for my liking. The Constable has a 'softer' tip which pulls nicely into a stiff butt. It's only a 10 footer though.

It will be interesting to compare the tapers, but they won't be that accurate as the rods are well varnished.