Hollow/Hydro elastic

Reaction score
I used a hollow elastic the other day for the first time. Found that it pulled so far out it was difficult to land the fish when near the bank, as of course I had to reduce the number of sections. I had a resonable size fish on. Can anyone advise me what I am doing wrong please. Should I stretch the elastic more when elasticaating my pole. ???? or would this just snap elastic quicker. HELP

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
hydro & hollo type elastic's stretch a lot more than normal solid elastic do,i'd say it's probably best to have it in just your number 3 & number 2 sections and to use a storer type bung where extra length can be stored & tention added if you brought the new 3mtr length then i'd tie two tight knots close to the middle then cut it between the knots then tie a 4 inch loop with it running through the bung (this will help with the bigger fish by having a more veriable tention) then tention it by winding on any excess that way you can have it loose or tighter or adjust it on the go.

fred hall

Reaction score
I've got one top set rigged with white hydrolastic and chavender is correct ie you need an adjustable bung and you have to play around with the tension setting. This stuff appeared in a blaze of glory a couple of years ago and several fellow club members told me how good it was but I think I shall go back to the normal stuff (at 1/3 the price of hydrolastic).

stikflote

Reaction score
i use white and black hydro its been in a year now and is showing no signs of fraying tho i have cut and retied the stonfo,s i like it and im going to buy the grey one ive used some preston hollo but snapped on a carp i wnt use that again yes it does stretch but you get used to it

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
To stop the lage fish pulling all the elastic out there are three techniques you can use:
1. If there are no snags nearby just stop pulling the fish up to surface and reduce the tension. Amazingly the fish will stop pulling especially if you dip the end of the pole in the water, the fish actually swims towards you of its own free will.
2.create a sharp angle in the pole tip which prevents the elastic coming out but be warned you need a strong pole for this.
3.Use the loc'n' load stonfo set up by Daiwa to prevent the elastic coming out like in 2.

I prefer to use 1. as this works really well with carp and tench. As far as i'm concerned hollow hydro really is good and I don't use anything else now.