Multiplier trouble?

C

Chris Bishop

It's not that hard when you get your head round it. Agree with Jim that heavier lures are better, but an educated thumb (as someone coined the phrase) is your best way to avoid a bird's nest.

It happens when the spool's not slowing down as quickly as the line. You feel the loose coils start to lift before the problem happens, after a while you learn to clamp your thumb down and brake the spool.

Dense or heavy lures are better casters than small lures, or lures that catch the wind or have a lot of air resistance, like spinnerbaits. They slow down, especially if cast into any wind, but the spool doesn't. Ding ding, hello, Captain Bird's Nest here.

After a while you realise setting the brake right and a smooth casting action are the way to avoid most dramas. Not casting straight into the wind is another top tip.

I'm crap at lure fishing but quite like using the short rod and multi sometimes. It's just practice, start off with cheap mono and a 2oz lead in the park and progress from there.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Modern American style baitcasting reels with magnetic brakes avoid overruns make no mistake.

The best way to hold a short pistol grip rod and reel is with the axis of the reel in a vertical position if you are casting overhead and in a horizontal position if you are side swiping.

For accuracy use the overhead cast.

Its important that you put a bit of beef into your casts and aim high. It is also vital that you watch the lure RIGHT THROUGH THE CAST. By doing this you will avoid overruns.

Watch someone like Gord Burton or my old friend Derek Gibson cast These anglers don't get overruns - ever.

After a bit of practice with these reels you will forget about the dreaded overun. It's like driving a car, riding a bike or casting a fly. You just do it.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

I last used a multiplier whilst messing about for conger with my cat bgear in the summer. Try casting half a mackeral and 8oz lead using a 9' 6" 6-10 oz uptider and a tld 20 loaded with 120lb braid and you will certainly get a few birds nests

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
I have been interested in the references to magnetic braking systems. I've never used a reel so equipped - mine (ABU Ambassadeur 5001 and 6001 and Solara "clones") are equipped with centrifugal brakes. A friend of mine, Adam Lawrence, has offered me the opportunity to "play" with one of his magnetic-braked Penn multipliers that he uses for beach fishing. Adam sings the praises of the system, so I'll take him up on his offer and see how such reels compare with centrifugal-braked reels.

The correct oil helps, too, incidentally - fine machine oil (like 3-in-1) in winter; 20/50 engine oil in summer.

As others have said, the casting style is different with a multiplier - a smooth sweep of the rod is the best way I can describe it.

Notwithstanding Ron's comments, I don't find multipliers suitable for light lures. Nor do I find them particularly accurate for lure casting. But I readily concede those shortcomings are probably more to do with me than with limitations of the reels. My multipliers have mainly been used for beach fishing. A fixed-spool reel will do the job perfectly adequately, but I enjoy the multiplier more.

K

Kevin Perkins 3

Jim

Like you, I have only used ABU's and Mitchell's with centrifugal brakes. The problem I have is that I just can't resist fiddling with my blocks! You know when you get the the point where you are convinced that you are playing too safe, the spool is slowing as the bait drops, and the machine is taking over.

At that point, man has to wrest back control, out comes the last block and a cast is launched towards the horizon............or not, as is usually the case!

Like I said, it is this seeming battles of wills that makes using a multiplier so addictive.

J

jason fisher

At that point, man has to wrest back control, out comes the last block and a cast is launched towards the horizon. complete with loud crack and all your mates falling about the beach in hysterics.

W

Wolfman Woody

And if he ain't got a multiplier, his chair will give you a good chuckle as well.

(remember falling backwards at Clattercote?)

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Why all this talk of casting? An anachronistic, outmoded skill if ever there was one. Do what some carp anglers do: ferry the terminal tackle(s) out to the desired spot(s) in a flippin' model boat!

J

jason fisher

if the chair reference is about me jeff it was on the thames and that chair died when its legs shot off in different directions as it tried to dump me in the river

W

Wolfman Woody

Kevin's right Jason. I just wasn't quick enough to whip my camera out.

Graham should offer a prize for photos like that, caught on camera stuff.

Heheheeh! Nearly beats catching nowt.

J

jason fisher

ok then kevin ive been there too with the chair as well, my mate nearly fell in the thames laughing at me on time it folded up on me

C

Chris Bishop

Magnetic brakes are good, I had a Mag Elite I used for beach fishing for a couple of years, can't ever remember an over-run with it.

You can do a few tweaks to Ambassadeurs by messing about with the brakes, different oils etc.

I got quite into this, then realised I was paying more attention to what happened before the lure hits the water than after.

Dave Lumb - northern piker and bit of an Ambassaduer anorak - has a brilliant website you can reach via www.dlst.co.uk.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I have a Shimano Bantam Magnumlite that's about 15 years old.

Its' still in excellent condition despite have landed many pike, bass and a few zander.

Must get a rod to match it. Harris angling I think have some nice 8 foot pistol grip rods.