George Best

T

Tony Rocca

Well I for one am sad about what seems to be the end for him.

I have never seen any other footballer with such natural ability.

Do you think George would do things differently if he had his time again? would he hell. Hes lived ten times the lives most of us have. How many miss worlds do most of us get to sleep with? Bruce Forsyth accepted of course.

Olly Reed was the same, didnt give a shit.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Unfortunately I do'nt think we will see his like again, he came from an era where players such as he, were given licence to roam, not playing to a plan, that was for the rest of the team, just allowing freedom for the natural ability to flow. Whilst we still have great players ie: Rooney, they have moments of brilliance, but are still restricted by the 'team' plan.

J

john ledger

Being a Sheff United supporter the seventies in my opinion gave us our greatest talent skill wise. At the Lane we had Tony Currie Chelsea has Osgood Hudson QPR Stan Bowles Huddersfield Frank Worthngton the list goes on.
George Best in my opinion was the finest footballer these islands have ever produced.
Pele spent his time in Brazil a very protected player great as he was.George had the likes of Hunter Chopper Harris Souness Smith kicking lumps out of him.I love natural talent no matter which club the player plays for and the players i have mentioned put bums on seats including mine.I dont go anymore and why should i pay an inflated price to see overpaid prima donnas who are not fit to lace Georges boots .Roy Keane eat your heart out good player yes genius never

P

paul williams 2

John....i don't always agree with you, but i can't argue with your last posting....we used to be able to afford to go to the match on Saturday and fishing on Sunday.....would have to be pretty well off to treat yourself and son to both in one wekend nowadays!

W

Wolfman Woody

I saw an early 60's picture of Man United yesterday and straight away I pointed out George Best.

How?

He was the only one with a deep Mediterannian tan! All the others had pale Manchester complexions.

N

Nigel Moors.

Woody, Fred and Bully - terrible puns! Long live dark humour even if it will be slightly painful to see the chap pass away.

The whole 'best ever player' thing will always be waged and it nearly always favours players who have had long and fulfilling international careers - something that sadly eluded Bestie due to his birth.

My number 1 player in those terms is by far and away Pele. He wasn't cosseted within Brazil during world cups John and that stage is generally where greatness is measured. But in terms of ability and barefaced cheek Bestie is numero uno.

A player I wouldn't put in my top 3 in fact is Maradona. Sure he had bags of talent and natural ability but he was also a world class diver and a cheat. In fact almost all of the so called greats of modern day football are divers - Zidane among them. The only one (correct me if I'm wrong) who I think doesn't dive is Ronaldo and that's more or less due to his strength and power so he doesn't need to fall over. Henry - loads of skill but he's a diver and will never rank IMHO above Ronaldo because Ronaldo has repeatedly produced on the highest stage.

Pele, Best, Cruyff etc all played the game with dignity - sadly (much overused word and I apologise for using it again) something that eludes most modern players. Probably down primarily to the stakes and money involved. Doesn't excuse the fact that most of them would sell their granny these days though. The one thing we know about Bestie is that he just loved playing football - he just loved the football - he had as passionate a love affair the with the ball as any woman.

N

Nigel Moors.

And don;t get me onto Rio - scumbag! He crapped all over my beloved club, the club that stood by him through his darkest moments.

Rant over ;-)

W

Wolfman Woody

Pardon me Nigel, it wasn't a joke and wasn't dark humour.

There was a picture (see Bait-Box thread on World Cup), can't remember the other players as football doesn't interest me, but Nobby Styles was also in the photo. George was in the back row third from the right.

I saw George when he did a kick-off at a Show-biz 11 match at Stalybridge Celtic. Didn't recognise any of the Show-biz side though. And one day in the centre of Manchester with the usual following.

N

Nigel Moors.

Woody - I was referring to the 'pickled' reference not the tan one.

J

john ledger

Reckon tomorrow is going to be a bad news day,not looking forward to it at all

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

The news has just come through.

We should remember him for the great football genius he was and not what befell him later although perhaps the two were sides of the same coin?

B

Big Swordsy :O)

his suffering is over

nobody deserves a death like that

RIP

L

Les Clark

Never been into football ,but George Best was a decent sort of bloke who liked a good drink and a good time ,nothing wrong in that.
R.I.P George Best.

M

mark williams 4

Great footballer, and as someone said this morning, the first British football superstar.

But let's not forget he was also a tw*t. He drank his money away, he beat his wife, he knackered his liver, got a new one from some other poor soul, and wasted his second chance... and chance many people with liver diseases they didn't provoke never get.

On the pitch, magic; everywhere else, not someone to be admired.

N

Nigel Moors.

Mark, careful about the use of the word twat. It could easily be applied to the person writing something as insensitive as you just have. I sincerely hope that no-one close to you ever ends up with and addiction or illness like Bestie did. He had an illness you simply do not step away from and you seem to be incapable of feeling for your fellow man.

Take a good look around you and see how many of your friends might be addicted to something - most likely nicotine - and tell them to simply stop. It doesn't work like that, no doubt someone will tell me that they know plenty who have given up but they are never non-smokers after that - just simply 'on the wagon'. Stretch that out a little further in your imagination and imagine one of them seriously ill as a result and go up to them tell they're a tw*t and see how it makes you feel.

I've seen people die as a result of alcoholism and it's awful the lengths that some of them can be driven to by the evil worm eating away at them. Including lashing out at a woman. Not excusing it for a moment but it's what happens in cases like this. Bestie wasn't a woman beater - at heart a he loved them.

A bit more respect is due I feel.

RIP Bestie. No-one better, before or after. You will be forever missed.