George Best

J

john ledger

So sad to see the photograph of George in the newspaper and i just hope he can dig in and pull through.
Hear people saying he brought it on himself and should never have been given a transplant but people like George,Alex Higgins Maradona etc each a genius have flaws.
Reckon George has lived three lives in one and i can remember that hot October day in the seventies when my team Sheffield United where top of the league with players like Currie and Woodward in the side.
30000 supporters left sheffield that day and Geoge scored that goal that was shown on Match of the Day over and over again.
I cursed him that day cursed him for being a Genius.
Best player we ever produced

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

We didn't produce him --the Irish did ....

B

Big Swordsy :O)

He will not make it

Shame

But it will come to us all.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Paul mallinson says At least he enjoyed himself. Paul, I think it is a popular misconception that chronic alchoholics enjoy what they do when the truth is they simply cannot helpl themselves hence the condition they end up in. Theres no denying thier plight is self-induced but we must accept it is a severe addiction that knows no boundaries and affects rich, poor, clever, illiterate and all manner of people so we must not be too hasty in our judgement of what appears to be a lost cause. I am old enough too remember seeing him play in his prime and a better player i have never seen.

J

john ledger

True Mike even his mother died an alchoholic and its worst than being on drugs ,you remain one for the rest of your life.I knew he had lost 4st but was still shocked to see the photo.Apparently George wanted it shown.Even though its looking bleak for him i sincerely hope he recovers as we will not see the likes of him again.
I have seen all the greats including Pele Sir Stanley Tom Finney but i reckon George is the best of the lot

J

john ledger

Well cigs are a drug but nobody see either drink or fags as drugs because they are legal

N

nicholas bray

yes john i agree with you this is the point i was making

Michael Howson

Reaction score
I read not long that the amount of tax money that the government would lose by banning cigarettes would be compensated within a couple of years by the savings in costs of treatment for chest and heart problems brought on by cigs and booze.

C

Chub King

Been a lifelong United fan but can't say I have one iota of sympathy for George Best.
Wifebeating alcoholic? Flawed genius? Bloody idiot springs to mind!!!

J

john ledger

George has never been a goody two shoes thats for sure but thats why we like him.
Give me one George Best you can have ten Gary Linekers.As ive said Best by name and nature a genius

G

Geoff Cowen

Man-U fan then John? Lineker was and is everything that is good about football where as Best was all that is bad. Ability yes, but what a waste and such a bad example of how to be a PROFESSIONAL to young lads coming into the game.

J

john ledger

Geoff
Rank Sheffield United supporter of over fifty years but great admirer of a true genius and thats what George was and i for one hope he pulls through.
Lineker was not my cup of tea and the only player with more ability than Best to me was Maradona a player unlike Pele played his football in Italy with Napoli who where nothing and made them great just like he did Argentina depite being kicked to death every time he had the ball resulting in constant injections in his legs.Hand of God ,lets talk about his second goal.Rated Gazza as well

J

john ledger

Geoff
Did you not see my thread on Man Utd supporters who had a greatgrandfather passing through Manchester ,resulting in their right to jump on the bandwagon.Wonder why they never supported Bolton

Beecy

Reaction score
lets hope Rooney doesnt go down the same road as Best.If he can keep on the straight and narrow and reaches his full potential I recon we will get hold of the world cup again.

J

john ledger

We dont need a treble and aint bothered but at least we support our local side.Just get the idea if you supported a Scottish side it would be Rangers or Celtic and not Ayr Utd.
You are right Beecy about Rooney,bet he ends up in Spain although after seeing Barcelona whip Real would he get in.Did you see Messy and Ronaldino