December's CF - John Bailey Replies.

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
W

Wolfman Woody

Well, you are well aware of my views dear Graham.

I was one of those who wanted the letters page bringing back and I try and post a letter every other month. I did one last month, which Stu has to print yet, if he sees fit to.

I would write yet once again in your support, Graham, but I don't want to be seen as the solitary member of the Graham Marsden Fan Club. Not that I mind the title of Secretary too much, but no bugger's paying me for it. Including you! :eek:)

Still like you though.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
What stupid idiot issued death threats to John Bailey, I hope it wasn't anyone on here, whatever anyone thinks of the man's writings its sheer stupidity to do irresponsible things like that.

I have said on FM before that I find his books very well written and well worth the read, his views on angling today though, as expressed in C.F. I do find a little out of character, even harmful if quoted by the anti brigade. For a man who makes his living out of angling in one form or another it is hard to reconcile his views with his writings but even then I don't think he deserves extreme reactions like death threats, criticism yes.

B

Big Swordsy :O)

Graham says:
Apology accepted Jason. It caused me concern because John will be keeping his eye on this thread and the last thing I want is for him to think I'm trying to get anyone to gang up on him. I don't need anyone to do that and I don't want anyone to do that.

Ah, John will be watching!

*ting*

very small light bulb ficks on and illuminates the empty cavity that is the inside of my skull where my frontal lobes used to be!

Dear John,

Love your books, I have around eight or nine now. Casting for gold being the latest,Keep getting out bid on the roach book...but it will be mine soon oh yes it will be mine!
any chance of getting them autographed?

All the best

Lee

P.S

Love your style of photography!

B

Bully

Graham - I take your last post was aimed at me? Hopefully you know me well enough to know that I do not "slag" off people.

However I didn't explain my point well enough, which I accept.

To contradict my previous post, I think John B's writing is some of the most eloquent I have read. I especially enjoyed his articles based on his travels around the world.

However I got increasingly fed up with his articles that centred on his strong points of view on various aspects of angling.

To be honest I cannot remember all of the specifics, but his writing went IMHO from eloquence and love for the sport, to "I'm right your wrong" or "I just cant understand why people do it this way, that way" sort of style writing.

I just think it is either weak writing (which he should not be in that league) or doesn't accomodate other people's opinions. I just think he is better than that.

Ginger

Reaction score
I`ve been a subscriber to C. F. for a few years now,and when i first started reading it i couldn`t stand John Baileys column,i used to think he was so far up his own arse it was untrue.I must admit however that over this period of time i have totally changed my views and John`s column is now the first thing i read,he always seems to be able to get the reader to think about his views and opinions and although you might not agree with everthing he writes it`s certainly thought provoking and stimulating.I certainly don`t think John is an "Anti" or deliberatly fueling the anti`s fire,he`s just writing his views at this given time.Graham has given his views on John`s writings and that`s fine, but it now seems that everyone is jumping on the bandwagon and slagging John off for publishing his thoughts in an article.Surely everyone is entitled to their own opinion and i`m sure John would welcome readers views but there`s no reason to be abusive or personal.

W

Wolfman Woody

John is an extremely good writer and can put his points across very forcibly. He is also entitled to his views and he should be given every opportunity to air them in magazines like Coarse Fisherman and general forums like this (should he wish to join in).

I think he has some valuable points to put across, but so many antagonise other anglers straight away because they attacks others ways of fishing that they have practised for years. Take banning keepnets for a start.

In CF and on here that's fine, but he's writing in a magazine, the report of a charity that we would hope every angler in this country would join. But how can so many anglers join an organisation whose report and preaching of their Vice-President attack the forms of fshing they practise?

So yes, let him air them in CF and we can all have a pop at him should we choose, but not in the ACA report where he should accept all the present and legal forms of fishing and retaining fish. Or keep schtum!

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Looking forward to reading CF this month, after what has been said here.

Graham, I thought you hit the nail on the head about Bailey with your musings in last months mag.

P

paul williams 2

I'll never be a John Bailey fan......but the idiots who phoned him up with death threats should do as he says and get alife!!

managed to get CF today.....Barney you are right, it's a cracker.....reminicent of the 70's!! even old Terry is in it! crap angler!

E

EC

FFS anyone who phones up anyone with death threats regarding angling has too much time on their hands, and needs pity and therapy.

That said, I wouldnt put owt past the anti's.

B

BLAM

It was a good read this month and with the freebies they offer is well worth subscribing over 12 months (just renewed mine). Heaven only knows why someone gets death threats because of something he writes in a fishing magazine but even if I don't always agree with JB his articles are well written and as Lee says the accompanying photographs are stunning.

Each to their own but I'm not sure why he won't respond on-line as plenty of other CF contributers do. It's not exactly going to harm book sales or his guiding just because some numpty in front of a keyboard doesn't agree with him. I would say it would put him in front of a few more potential customers.

Tony Miles has been answering criticisms of his most recent CF column on BFW for the last few days and as might be expected has improved his credentials by arguing all his points decisively.

Anyways I'll look forward to Musedens Marsings next month as usual.

P

paul williams 2

BTW...John if you are looking in perhaps getting involved in a forum debate now may be a better experience than in the early days?..........and i know GM would delete any threads that may be unfair/rude/threatening etc etc!

P

paul williams 2

sorry ...i should have typed "i think GM would delete"

Sounded like i was dictating to GM!

BTW....does GM stand for GET MINE?.....it ought too!

W

Wolfman Woody

I'm not sure about said "death threats", sorry John if you are reading this. It came right at the end of the article and it sounded like a cry for sympathy.

If someone has received a threat of any kind, as I did last year, you keep it quiet. As I did until just then and I only mention it now to prove a point and also, the threat to me has diminished. I shan't mention it again!

Tweren't me, anyway. I don't know JB's number, but a close friend who wanted to contact JB over something else did say that his answerphone's outgoing message sounded so pretentious that before it had finished he had to hang up. He was bursting with laughter.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Bully wrote: "Graham - I take your last post was aimed at me? Hopefully you know me well enough to know that I do not "slag" off people."

That took me by surprise. I had to go back and look at what you'd written Stuart, so no, it wasn't aimed at you or any particular individual, but just a general comment.

Brummie (Paul): GM stands for Good Man, as in, "It's your round Brummie, good man, make it a double."

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Is that Terry Useless Brummie......?

Er sorry - Eustace.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Got January's CF through the post today (should be in the newsagents by end of week);
Round two as Graham surgically destroys JB's arguments.

Can JB answer:

Why he still fishes? Or is it only to make a living?

Whether he understands stress, fish brain power etc?

Why if you are going to write about fishing and support it, it is important to be consistent?

P

paul williams 2

Sorry Ron missed that.....yep that Terry...great to see the ole bathtub penning again!

Gotta part with more cash now to read GM's reply!......bet JB pays his turn tho!