Richard Lee

Bluenose

Reaction score
I've just had a look at one profile under that name and it says he hasn't been 'active' since 2006.

He may however have a new username or may visit the site without logging on.

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
He's still listed as editor in the paper Fred. He must be anyway because I rang them this morning to try and get a word with him and the secretary said he was out of the office.

I just wanted to chat to him about the new look AT. I'll perhaps try him at the office again tomorrow.

richardlee

Reaction score
Hi Chris

Been very busy today - we're working with the Shark Trust trying to build on the work of C4s Fish Fight. I found Gordon Ramsay's Shark Bait show quite sickening. I'm about for some of tomorrow and then working from home on some new magazines - 'Legend' tributes to **** W, Ivan and Yates. You'll get me before 12. Sometimes my PA fields calls but make sure she knows its you.

Richard

richardlee

Reaction score
Thanks Chris. Used some of it in the paper, hope you dont mind. The glossy wrap has obviously helped this week, and we have more planned, but the early sales figures are extremely exciting after what has been a very tough year for everyone who makes a living out of the sport.You're right about news. I was working in lots of other markets in 2010 and its great to come back full time on AT and take it down a road it so badly needed. I'm very pleased with next Tuesday's edition too. The team have been brilliant. I'd value your thoughts when you get it. Tight lines.

chav professor

Reaction score
Hi Richard,

I posted this earlier quote:

'I think they should bring back a dedicated sea fishing section. i also think the picture garantee is a little silly. If i see the obvious gag of a big man holding a little roach and getting his picture published

I have felt for a little while that it is out of touch with 'normal' anglers. It would be nice to see a brace of 5lb chub recognised as the angling feat it could be in some parts of the country or in-deed an anglers first 2lb roach milestone. Some of the articles are very good - particularly Martin Bowler - Stunning.

Another issue i have is the over politcal theme e.g. doom and gloom headlines week in week out about another commercial hitting the wall because of otters or something else. the letters page can be a little disconcerting - anglers letters calling for all types of bans - 'BAA is right to ban live baiting', 'barbed hooks barbarous' etc. No doubt there will be the usual debate about how out of date and irrelavent the close season is......

There you go, i've just talked myself out of buying it - rather save my money and buy a book that celebrates every thing thats good in angling

I think the new issue was a big improvement - i am also looking forward to the Legends issues. I look forward to 2011 and purchasing the odd copy of your mag/paper. i particularly liked the Kingfisher club - a much better concept than the picture garantee that turned a little tacky and did not represent some very good and credible fish captures in a good light.

Still need a sea fishing sectiojn for us all-rounders. Has mark sawyer finally mastered the pendulum cast. lol;) He is a Gipping man like myself and not a bad shot either.

Christian

richardlee

Reaction score
Thanks Christian.
I think tomorrow's paper is the best for many, many years in terms of diversity and value for money. Unfortunately, there will always be some bad news to report and we can't really ignore what's going on out there. It's obviously about balance and I believe it's about right this time.

Reaction score
I'll be honest Richard, I was fairly sceptical that you could muster the same level and quality of content for a second week running, and, if I'm truthful I expected it to be a bit less impressive. Well how wrong I was! It's an even better issue this week than last. An unbelievablely good read. I find it quite staggering the way the paper has turned asround in such a short space of time. Well done again to the team.

... all I have to do now is to catch something worth sending in. :)

chav professor

Reaction score
Well to be honest, since I have bought my copy today, it has seldom been put down. A massive improvement on some of the bland offerings last year.
You have set the bar very high!!!! Even a picture of an anglers milestone 2lb roach:)

It is a burden of responsability to edit what is effectively an angling institution and of course fishing is different things to different people. to quote Richard 'its about balance and I beleive its about right this time'. could not agree more.

Sad to see Des Taylor go - a passionate angler with big views. Couldn't always agree with every thing the big man said, but always respected his opinion and never doubted his passion and dedication to protecting the anglers cause!!!! A very great all round angler and personality!!!!;bp

Reaction score
Well to be honest, since I have bought my copy today, it has seldom been put down. A massive improvement on some of the bland offerings last year.
You have set the bar very high!!!! Even a picture of an anglers milestone 2lb roach:)

It is a burden of responsability to edit what is effectively an angling institution and of course fishing is different things to different people. to quote Richard 'its about balance and I beleive its about right this time'. could not agree more.

Sad to see Des Taylor go - a passionate angler with big views. Couldn't always agree with every thing the big man said, but always respected his opinion and never doubted his passion and dedication to protecting the anglers cause!!!! A very great all round angler and personality!!!!;bp

Well said!

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have to say the reading of my subscription copy of the paper in the past has been a skip through, and checking out the those items that gave me interest, before passing it over to the old boy next door

Keith, Des and Steve Partner's pieces were in the main my interest, so I took a bit more notice following Chris's comments and I like it, almost read it from cover to cover, interest tailed of towards the end in the match section but that's just me.BUT, I did read UK Match!

Looks and reads good Richard keep it up

Just trying to work out if I should cancel my current subscription to take up the Dynamite Baits special package!

Last edited:

richardlee

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, lads. Take the rough with the smooth. We've just finished the Yates tribute - it's free in two weeks - it's a cracking gift and knocks the socks off a piece of plastic on the cover.

flightliner

Reaction score
Richard, I dont know if its been considered of late but In the past ATs have done the odd feature such as the Tom Sails/**** walker matches. The famous centre pin versus fixed spool challenge on the Trent to name a few. I would love to see a piece where what few of the famous old Trent matchmen that are still around were brought together by invite on one of the famous match lengths and had a contest sponsered by ATs. The results could be really surprising and I.m sure it would be of great interest to anyone buying the paper.
Well advertised, heralded ,and shouted loud eneough It might even pull some of the guys off the commercials to watch, just like in the old days.

jef bertels

Reaction score
Richard, new AT subscriber here. Really enjoyed this week's. Particularly like Keith Arthur's forthright views.

I have a suggestion for you to at least consider...hope you don't mind.

Features on clubs. Of course, their waters, history, pics from their gallery etc but most importantly the fish habitat/conservation work they are doing.

This last bit is important for non-anglers reading our industry paper. Only this week, you had the RSPB write in, so there's one powerful group right there reading the AT that we need to make aware of the good work clubs do.

From feedback reflected in our own club, the Thames Anglers' Conservancy, a high number of anglers are interested in fish habitat work. If conservation work is directly fish related, we're overwhelmed with volunteers.

The TAC could provide you with content, as could so many other clubs who work closely with the EA. John Hepworth's work on the Wear for example on a current thread on this forum, the Barbel Society, Jeff Woodhouse's club...there's so many doing good work that would make for interesting reading.

I'm sure between us we could come up with some great content that costs you nothing and appeals to your readers :)

richardlee

Reaction score
The paper's job is to report news and that very much includes the important work being done at club level. Obviously we need to look at this work and attempt to put it into a national context so it has relevance for others. There is so much we can share and learn.
As regards the Tom Sails idea, I loved that stuff. We've replayed it several times with Wilson and Clegg, and Martin Bowler and Keith Arthur. I think we can revisit the idea as it can throw up really interesting results, but by the nature of being a pure news vehicle we'd be looking for weekly relevance - an anniversary or a specimen hunter beating a matchman in an event - much the way big fish angler Steve Collett won the Div 1 National on the Trent. That could have been a good week to replay it.

keora

Reaction score
I've bought Angling Times for many years. In my view, the new version of AT, with its large black type, doesn't look very elegant. It reminds me of the layout in tabloids such as the Mail and the Sun.

Some of the columnists seem to be writing shorter articles, especially Steve Partner, who I think is a thoughtful and provocative writer. And Neville Fickling's pike column hasn't appeared for two weeks.