ARGOS BITE ALARMS REEL ROD COMBOS

N

nicholas bray

I have ?100 pounds worth of vouchers which can be spent in argos which I want to use to buy some fishing gear.

Has anyone tried the bite alarms that they sell they have two options: -

2 x keenets catch carp siren bite alarms reduced to ?20

or

3 x Giant bite alarms with case

which is the best are they waterproof?

I was also planning to but their ginat carp rod reel / combo is it any good

any feedback would be much appreciated

N

nicholas bray

sorry the giant bite alarms are ?30 for three and the rod reel combo is also by giant at ?35 not ginat doh

M

madpiker

if the keenets catch carp alarms are as cheap and nasty as their rods and luggage(in my opinion)i wouldn`t bother

M

madpiker

i think that the giant rods are ok though.not sure about the reels

colsmiff

Reaction score
why don't you go for the wychwood rod/reel combo for 50, ok its a bit more and you dont get the terminal tackle, but that can be picked up relatively cheaply and will be of better quality than you get in an Argos starter kit. See the wychwood reviews in the tackle section.

alan

Reaction score
my mate has the keenets alarms and uses them with out hassle. ive just bought a pair, they seem ok.

the giant landing net for ?15, is bloody huge and seems to be very strong, i put my 3 year old in it and he fits with room to spare.

N

nicholas bray

colsmiff i'll have to go and have another look didn't see the wychwood rod / reel combo

alan has your mate used them in the rain i'm a bit worried that they may not be very waterproof, i already have a specimen net

alan

Reaction score
yep, he is one of them lunatics that dont care what the weather is.

N

nicholas bray

nice one alan by the way i hope you've let him go now he's got school in the morning

M

madpiker

alan,your mate has been lucky regarding his alarms in the wet.a mate of mine has two which both whine and don`t work properly in the wet

N

nicholas bray

Mad piker are those alarms completely knackered now, or do they still work when it's dry

N

nicholas bray

i dont really do much fishing in the rain i just dont want to get caught out in the rain then have to knackered alarms to show for it

J

james hunt

do yourself a favour and put the vouchers on ebay. i done this with b&q vouchers and they made ?92.00 i would imagine argos vouchers would be even more popular with christmas coming up. then go buy yourself some decent gear.

M

madpiker

not sure whether they are knackered or not,as he bought some better ones.

N

nicholas bray

well i ended up buying the wychwood rogue rod and reel combo and i got to be honest the quality seems excellent, i got the pro carp siren bite alarms i'll have to reserve judgement untill i've used them

N

nicholas bray

by the way, thanks colsmiff that was good advice on the rod and reel combo, I dont believe you always got to get the most expensive to get something that is decent quality and that'll do the job, the last rod i bought from argos was a cheap kingfisher float rod i've now had it about to years i've battered the hell out of it caught almost every fish going on it and whilst looking a bit scruffy it still works perfect and gets used.
By the way i've had more expensive rods since that have packed in without half the abuse