25 Years Ago Today

C

Cakey

I was fishing a park lake in south Paris 4 miles from from where Princess Di died and we didnt hear about it for three days till I phoned home !

fred hall

Reaction score
Adrian above complaining of being bored in a Maths lesson and all this talk of death!
Well, all of you, here is some sound advice from a Maths teacher who is well past his sell-by date.
YOU HAVE JUST BEEN TOLD THAT YOU HAVE ONE HOUR LEFT TO LIVE. HOW SHOULD YOU SPEND THAT HOUR?
FIND THE NEAREST MATHS LESSON AND SPEND YOUR 1 HOUR THERE. IT'LL SEEM A LOT LONGER.

M

mark williams 4

25 years ago I was being moved off Sea Angler on to Angling Times as a cub reporter. Best move I ever made.

Incidentally, I still have the old contacts book from back then. The names just leap right out at me every time I flick through.... Derrick Amies, Kev Ashurst, Geoof Bucknall, Vic Bellars, Andy Barker.

A tinge of sadness when I get to a few of them - Tony Charlett, nicest bloke I ever met, senselessly knocked down by a car when TC was in its heyday. Denis Breen, Irish copper and angler with the biggest hands I have ever seen - when he was having a pint, it looked like he was picking his nose.

Bill Bartles - is the old bugger still around? And Eddie Bibby - anyone know of his whereabouts (just joking, Ed)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Bill Bartles is still around Mark. I have his phone number but it's only programmed to answer certain incoming calls.

**** Walker had the biggest hands I have ever seen on a man.

R

Robert Woods 1

Mark,
I stayed at "Sui Mhure" a lot in the 80's. Went for two weeks at Easter, June and September. If I didn't catch Dennis used to pick me up with one hand and told me off. Sadly missed.

B

Baz (bad loser and proud of it)

I had been rained off from work on the day of 711.
I was phoning my wife to tell her about the first plane hitting the building, and saying that it seemed a bit odd, and that it might be a terrorist attack. we were debateing if this was possible when the second plane struck.
I just went numb.

Puting the final touches to a garden party when Dianna got married.
On my way to Derby when Dianna was killed.

Heard it on the radio about John Lennon, and sat there thinking there will be a glut of Lennon records in the shops over Christmas.
I remember his record 'Imagine' being played constantly on the radio.

W

Wolfman Woody

The pity will be, when Des O'Connor dies.

They'll play wall-to-wall - "****ie-Dum-Dum".

It will be slit-your-wrists time.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"And Eddie Bibby - anyone know of his whereabouts (just joking, Ed)"

I think he's still around .....let me go and check !!

J

john ledger

25 years ago i remember exactly what i was doing.
I was Single Line Engineer at a large glass company and driving into work when i heard the sad news and yes i went numb.Used to love John Lennon,he was the Beatles

Matty C

Reaction score
25 years ago I was but a twinkle in my dads eye.. wasnt anywhere when lennon died nor kennedy.. when did Di n Charles get married ? I dunno..

on the morning of Di's death, I was only a nipper, still in bed, n my younger brother came in a told me n I didnt believe him..

On the morning of 9/11, I was laying in bed n I turned on the tv to see what time it was, n it was on the news, although I thought it was a movie so watched it for about 15 or 20 minutes, n thought to myself Ill turn over to see what else is on, n it was on that channel too, and the next.. suddenly it occured to me.. I got to get to work!! Having said that, I did feel quite a bit of anguish, although not nearly enough as my american girlfriend would have liked me to..

Wasnt even into fishing back then.. shame when I think about it.. lol

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

9/11 happened at about 2pm our time ---so you must have been having a long lie-in .....

F

Frothey

you've got a problem with your a and d keys LOL

mind you i thought it was a spoof documentary for a bit, then said to the missus "i wonder who the americans are gonna go carpet bomb now?"

Matty C

Reaction score
lol not so much a lie in Ed, but thats what happens when one works nights.. sucks I know.. but it was good money at the time..

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Seen the name ED a lot on here and its always the same one,,,, but re-read a book the other day and ED was there again,,,,, and it's the same one i think???? If it is, I'm 50 now so ED must be about ???????

PS, always bought the stuff on Bream.