25 Years Ago Today

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
25 years ago today I was driving through Bessacarr on my way to the River Idle at Bawtry when I heard on the Radio that John Lennon had been murdered.

I had to pull over and phone a friend. I simply couldn't believe it.

Was anyone else fishing that day?

I fished the same river on the day of the Charles/Dianna wedding.

Strangely I don't recall where I was when Elvis died or Kennedy was shot. Clearly I wasn't fishing on those days.

Do you remember what you were doing when some significant world event like this happens, or is it the other way round? Do you remember the fishing first and then that something happened while you were there?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
On the morning that Princess Diana died i was on my way to a match in southern Norway having left home at around 04.30.

I heard the news on Norwegian radio in the car - couldn't believe what I had heard and tuned into BBC World Service. Strangely, the BBC were still reporting that she had been severely injured.

It wasn't until I got to the lake that I received confirmation.

I remember I won my section that day with around 22 kilos of Bream and Vederbuk (Ide)though, caught on the feeder in the first hour or so, and then an 8 meter line to hand whip.

S

Shrek

At school, probably being bored in a history or maths lesson.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Most likely at my trout syndicate 180 miles fom home.

Or after bass with a plastic worm.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I was at school - Pheasant Bank Middle School, Rossington. After arriving at school one of the kids burst into the class and said "John Lennon's been shot!"

And I said "Who's John Lennon?"

colsmiff

Reaction score
I was definitely in my final year of junior school, but beyond that I haven't a clue.I do remember the news reports that evening and the pictures of people in New York.
As for Diana's death, I got up horribly hung-over on the Sunday morning to the news, confused by the lack of normal TV and radio programming. Our cricket match was cancelled that afternoon, so we held a premature wake in Salisbury's pubs!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"so we held a premature wake in Salisbury's pubs!"

What, BOTH of them? :)

Only joking Colin, I live about 10 miles north of Salisbury, but in our village we only have 1 pub.

W

Wolfman Woody

On the day of Diana's death, I'd agred to take a chap to one of our lakes for a bit of fishing. I heard about it at 6:00 am as soon as I started the car, but I couldn't not go. I did get back out though and tell her indoors first.

I remember walking through teh back streets of Manchester and buying an Evening News to read about Kennedy's death.

On the day the twin towers were hit and came down I was at home and phone my mate. We spent the next hour on the phone as we witnessed them collapse. Tears ran down my cheeks as a woman had been waiving a tea towel out of the restaurant room window on the viewing deck of the south tower moments before it fell.

J

jason fisher

On the day of Diana's death.

i couldnt believe it, the totally over the top way that just about everyone got completely hysterical and turned into an american over it.

a woman died in a car crash big deal, people die in car crashes every day they dont spend the next god knows how many years having programs on telly about them.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jason, but then not every one who dies in a car crash is either the ex-wife of the next King of England or the mother of his hier, are they.

Jeff, on the morning of 9/11 I was in my office in Halifax NS, and my American wife called me to tell me what had happened.

We spent the next 2 hours desperately trying to locate my mother-in-law who was planning to have a meeting in WTC 1 that day.
Fortunately she had been delayed in Birmingham AL, due to other more pressing matters.

Hey, I found the edit button ;-0]

T

Tony Rocca

Was Working in a motorcycle shop in Sheffield when I heard about Lennon and fished the Nidd at Greenhammerton the day Charlie and Di tied the knot, caught a big Eel.

Y

yoggy

I was a red hot bloodied teenager trying to shag every female on the plant!!!,i got bored with all the bloody hassle so ended up going back to my fishing!!

F

Fred Bonney

Can't recall where I was when Kennedy or Lennon died.
I was in Cyprus when Elvis died but didn't find out 'til I got back.
When Diana died, I'd turned on the radio, as usual and called to the missus,that they had killed Diana.(I'm not a royalist,it was the first thing that occured to me)
911, I was at home listening to radio and heard that a plane had hit the WTC and turned on the tele and witnessed the rest

colsmiff

Reaction score
Peter, I recall spending most the afternoon playing pool in the Star on Queen Street.
As for 9/11 I was in my lab running assays when the news came over the radio. It suddenly put a lot of things into perspective.

W

Wolfman Woody

I was still in liquid form when Hitler shot himself.

Tony Myatt 2

Reaction score
Bob,
I to fished the same river on the the day of Dianas wedding/death. The Thames. On the day of her death, 7ish in the morning, a lady of mature years approached my mate Jeff and myself and remarked on what a absolutely terrible day it was. Jeff looked up to the somewhat cloudy sky, concurred with her and then uttered the words 'yeah but they reckon it will brighten up about eleven' class. Oh and it fished well on both days.