Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

25 years ago today I was driving through Bessacarr on my way to the River Idle at Bawtry when I heard on the Radio that John Lennon had been murdered.

I had to pull over and phone a friend. I simply couldn't believe it.

Was anyone else fishing that day?

I fished the same river on the day of the Charles/Dianna wedding.

Strangely I don't recall where I was when Elvis died or Kennedy was shot. Clearly I wasn't fishing on those days.

Do you remember what you were doing when some significant world event like this happens, or is it the other way round? Do you remember the fishing first and then that something happened while you were there?

Blog Entries

On the morning that Princess Diana died i was on my way to a match in southern Norway having left home at around 04.30.

I heard the news on Norwegian radio in the car - couldn't believe what I had heard and tuned into BBC World Service. Strangely, the BBC were still reporting that she had been severely injured.

It wasn't until I got to the lake that I received confirmation.

I remember I won my section that day with around 22 kilos of Bream and Vederbuk (Ide)though, caught on the feeder in the first hour or so, and then an 8 meter line to hand whip.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Bully Guest

At university, probably hungover or shagging.

Shrek Guest

At school, probably being bored in a history or maths lesson.

Ron 'The Hat' Clay Guest

Most likely at my trout syndicate 180 miles fom home.

Or after bass with a plastic worm.

I was at school - Pheasant Bank Middle School, Rossington. After arriving at school one of the kids burst into the class and said "John Lennon's been shot!"

And I said "Who's John Lennon?"

I was definitely in my final year of junior school, but beyond that I haven't a clue.I do remember the news reports that evening and the pictures of people in New York.
    As for Diana's death, I got up horribly hung-over on the Sunday morning to the news, confused by the lack of normal TV and radio programming. Our cricket match was cancelled that afternoon, so we held a premature wake in Salisbury's pubs!

Blog Entries

"so we held a premature wake in Salisbury's pubs!"

What, BOTH of them? :-)

Only joking Colin, I live about 10 miles north of Salisbury, but in our village we only have 1 pub.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Wolfman Woody Guest

On the day of Diana's death, I'd agred to take a chap to one of our lakes for a bit of fishing. I heard about it at 6:00 am as soon as I started the car, but I couldn't not go. I did get back out though and tell her indoors first.

I remember walking through teh back streets of Manchester and buying an Evening News to read about Kennedy's death.

On the day the twin towers were hit and came down I was at home and phone my mate. We spent the next hour on the phone as we witnessed them collapse. Tears ran down my cheeks as a woman had been waiving a tea towel out of the restaurant room window on the viewing deck of the south tower moments before it fell.

jason fisher Guest

On the day of Diana's death.

i couldnt believe it, the totally over the top way that just about everyone got completely hysterical and turned into an american over it.

a woman died in a car crash big deal, people die in car crashes every day they dont spend the next god knows how many years having programs on telly about them.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast