Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA) Guest

Good stuff Jeff.

Just one point in that when you are hitting as drop back bite would you recommend you dont hit it too hard on light bottoms and small hooks as you may snap off especially at close range?Often the fish has hooked itself against the weight of the feeder and is already moving off and therefore in my experience often you simply need to tighten too the fish.

I presume the fish-in venue would be a good one for this tactic?

Nice one Jeff,

Do you always position/face downstream and why?
    When I fish the far bank I always position the same as you, downstream.
    When I fish middle, to inside, I always face upstream at 45 degrees or straight in front of me.
    Am I making a fundamental error? you've got me a bit worried...!

Blog Entries

Steve,

Then I assume that you sit directly behind your rod then?

I'd have thought that would make bites difficult to see.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Peter,

I sit with my rod on my right leg (right handed) hand on reel.
    I am intrigued how that would make bites hard to see, as opposed to facing downstream?

Blog Entries

Steve,
    With the rod pointing upstream at 45 I think your tip would be pointing downstream and therefore away from you - guess it depends on where you sit in relation to the rod.

Geeze, now I'm getting myself confused.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Peter.
    I think you may be confusing yourself without reason. In my experience while feeder-fishing with a loop and a shortish hook-length the bites do not have to be struck at. The fish especially chub almost allways hook themselves. Indeed you will sometimes have several turns on your reel before actually feeling the fish.

Peter,

Me too! Can Graham invent a drawing facility? :-]

Hmmmm. The Bristol A is slow and deep, so middle to inside I can get away with minimal weight, to hold at the angle I am fishing.
    If I fish 45deg' upstream I am in direct contact, the tip has a slight bend.
    If I turned to face downstream there would be a slight bow, but more resistance when a bite occurs, maybe resulting in dropped bites when the fish feels the weight of the feeder?
    Make any sense?
    ;-)

Blog Entries

Maybe I am Michael, as I have fished the loop method almost exclusively on the feeder for about 12 years.
    I tie mine using a bead between the power gum and the feeder. This way it almost acts like a 'bolt rig' for bigger fish.

Steve, yes I suppose that makes sense. maybe its one of those things that is easier to see or do than to decribe in words.

In any event, another nice informative article Jeff.

Cheers, now I'm off to the bistro for a beer and dinner.

Patrick F. McManus

Wolfman Woody Guest

Right Nigel on all counts. Try it on the Thames, I am.

Steve (DB) always downstream unless there's a howling biting wind blowing in my face. Came third in an open once fishing pointing upstream, but by the end there were only three of us left (

The artwork is up for sale. It was considered for the Turner Prize, but they thought it was the wrapper from a pizza delivery. Cheeky sods.

Rolf Harris, eat your heart out. I'm painting big Brenda next year.

Wolfman Woody Guest

PS. Has anyone noticed, I haven't got any bait on that hook?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast