Bivvying Up In The Ice.

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Do you think that still waters should be closed to night fishing when there is a high risk of ice forming on the water over night?
The lake could already be partly frozen over, so is it selfish to risk fishing through the night bivvied up?

The reason I am asking is that some anglers (not all ) may be oblivious to what is happening outside when they are locked up in their bivvies for the night.
In the morning they get up to lines frozen in the water, with no option but to pull for a break, leaving line and baited hooks in the water.

Seeing that some anglers are incapable of making the decision to fish overnight in such conditions, and applying a little common sence, should bailiffs apply it for them and close the water down?

S

sash

Why should they need to pull for a break Baz? Lines generally, if not always, enter the water near the rod tips and even if they were to freeze, should be easy to clear in the morning. Can't see a problem with the rest of the line either as mono will sink.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

The broken line will sink yes, but it also has a hook and bait on the end of it.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Think Sash means apart from the point where the line enters the water the rest of it will be sunken so will not be frozen to anything. Break the small area of ice where the line enters the water and reel in. Cant see a problem there. I remember reading an article fairly recently where Ian Welch had been feeding a spot for carp and when the lake had defrosted he had made a cast. the lake then froxo over and he proceded to go on and catch a large carp through the ice.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
I would have thought somthing to be more worried about would be from anglers suffering hypothermia if they are not properly kitted out.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I thought only Eskimo's fished through the ice?

I knew a guy who went night fishing in the ice and never had a bite.

Next morning the manager of the ice rink told him he was trespassing!

L

Les Clark

I reckon that bailiffs should be made to stay out all night ,just in case ,at least the "angel of the north" should ,just for the "crack".

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

In the event of a run,
I would have thought that a fish taking line would be pulling the line against the edge of the ice, which could easily cut the line.
And what if the water was too deep for an angler to wade and break the ice where the line enters the water?

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Break it with your landing net pole, I never thought about wading in but I suppose you could if it was shallow and safe to do so. If all else fails, lob somthing at it, a brick maybe. re the ice cutting the line, cant see that Baz, the friction from the line moving against the ice would melt it and provide lubrication at the same time. No i dont think you can cut line on ice, I dont think thats a valid argument.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Breaking an inch or more thickness of ice with a landing net pole? or chucking a brick at it, both very circumspect if they would work at all.
As for ice not being able to cut line, that's a fair point, but I would have thought that it could.

I think I'd better impose a ban just to be on the safe side. (o

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Joking asside,I personally think that there are too many variables left to chance, to allow people to fish in such coditions.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
I would have thought water freezing into inch thick ice overnight would be circumspect. And if you were out fishing overnight in weather that cold then you would probably be dead come the morning!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Okay then, an inch thick overnight is a bit over the top, but I am sure you get my meaning.
Or is this the old live and let live scenario again?

I have heard of anglers loseing fish because of ice, so why risk leaveing hooks in fish and lines in the water?
I am pretty sure that there are anglers out there who would think.........hmmm, it's a bit too cold to be struggling trying to land a fish through the ice at 2.m in the morning.
And how many carry bricks with them?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

If it isn?t too much trouble for you empty heads out there, try to imagine a 10 lb plus carp hooked up under the ice.

No bricks about, your extending landing net handle is useless as not enough force can be brought down on the ice to break it.
It?s too deep for wading, what are your options?
Drag the fish through the water up to the surface, and hope that its thick head will break the ice?
Come on then, you are the so called experts, what are you going to do?
I know, get the naffing scissors out that?s what, or use the sharp edge of one of your empty beer cans.

A5HL3Y

Reaction score
not meaning to be argumentative, but if the layer of ice were too thick to be broken by your landing net pole - the sheer cold would have stopped the fish from feeding as it will have slowed there motabalism way down.

C

Cakey

and thats assuming you could reach it with a landing net pole..............Im with Baz shut it down and get on the rivers !

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Woohoooo, Cakey and me agree on something. YES!!

A5HL,
I have said it before on here, that a mate of mine actually broke the ice with a pair of extention ladders and caught a carp about ten minuits after doing so.

Also last week, although not actually iceing over but very cold and frosty, one of the carp lads pulled three tench out in the early hours of the morning.
So I have to disagree with you there me owld mate.

W

Wolfman Woody

A very cold shivver is running down my back right because I'm trying to find the words to say -

I agree Baz.

urgghhhh!