Broadband

S

Shrek

Another vote for Plus.net from me.

I've upgraded to a 2.2Mb line for ?14.99 per month. Find it very good as well for uploading web pages and the like, faster than a lot of others I've used.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
The problem with AOL, as Steve has said is that it's difficult to stop using them. Their software is a bugger to get off your computer. Freeserve used to be the same.

AOL is restrictive on which programs you can use, for instance their software seems designed to deter anyone from using MS Outlook Express for e-mail, or anything Miscrosft for that matter. AOL doesn't allow the freedon that most ISP's offer.

J

john ledger

Learning something new all the time and i am gratefull for the advice although i am as confused as ever(not hard to do)
At the end of the day i want to keep same email address and password so i think i am limited

L

little sister

Have a look at this site www.moneysavingexpert.com
Its a great site for all types of things from bank accounts to broadband providers.
You should find the best broadband for you in your area.
Everbody else take a look as it gives really good adivce on money.

T

The Monk

Must admit, I find it very confusing John, it must be much more confusing for you mate, coming from Yorkshire and all that?

M

Mark Hodson

From what i've seen and heard everybody at sometime has had a problem with one internet comapny or another. You've just got to choose one and see if it suits you and if it does stick with it, if not change.

Matt, I always thought microsoft were in partnership with AOL having had some sort of merger or old Bill Gates investing a load of money in them about 6 years ago, does anyone know if this is the case or did I imagine it ?

J

john ledger

Can anyone remember me asking for the lady in drag called the MONK for his or her opinion.I shall treat his interferance with the contempt it deserves

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark,

AOL and Netscapre merged in about 1998, I believe, and this made them MS's biggest rival and competitor.

The rumours of the merger between AOL and MS were rampant, and the subject of many hoax e-mails.

I don't remember all the ins-and-outs of the continuing arguments between MS and AOL but they were obliged in 2000/2001 to undergo some 'bundling' of their joint products, but seemingly failed to ever come to an agreement.

M

Mark Hodson

Just done some research on the net and the last 6 years has seen repeated rumours/hoaxes of an Microsoft/AOL merger. Looks like the underlying feeling is that old Bill gates wants his hands on AOL, just waiting for the right time to do it, its would only cost him a weeks pocket money.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I agree with you Mark, but according to the experts there has been some collusion between AOL and M/soft but so far only to do with security. Mr Gates would like to buy out anybody that seems to make a success of the web and I'm surprised if he hasn't had an eye on Google as well.

Internet Exlorer, whilst pretty good, is not the best on the web with Mozilla and Opera probably better and getting better by the week so he's got competition there for sure. The new XP (Vista) is probably going to be delayed until 2007 now but there is a new Service pack 3 coming out this year and its rumoured that some of the new security measures are going to be incorporated into it.

AOL remains crap though and best avoided.

Beecy

Reaction score
I use aol at home and have no problem with it, it is a bit of a bugger that you can't use outlook for email though.

I want to go to broadband myself but am told by aol that it is not available in my area - any one know why this may be? is it that the BT line in our area is not yet up to it?

Y

yoggy

Strange aint it!! i`ve been with AOL for about 4 years and have NEVER had a problem,even after leaving them and returning after 6 months ,my mate reckons that AOL are one of the best,and he`s a computer programmer!!!!!!!!!!.One thing about AOL is interesting though,in a recent survey in an independant magazine AOL came out top regarding security on your computer...funny how views differ.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Beecy, do you live in a small village, as I pointed out in an earlier posting, our exchange is a 'remote', therefore all I could receive was AOL Silver broadband, still excellent.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
when we first got our pc we used bt anytime but as we soon found out,bt anytime doesnt mean anytime!!!
we were kicked off bt anytime by good old brit telecom for using the pc too much according to the letter they sent us.we wearnt the only ones to have this happen too them because i remember seeing instances of this on the tv programme watchdog.
we have been with another server since,wannadoo i think it was and didnt have any problems with them but now we are on ntl.we have a cable tv and telephone package with them as well and to be honest any problems we have had,have been minor and have been sorted out quickly.
before christmas,i was driving in my truck and listening to the mike mendoza show on talk sport.once a week he has a chap come on air called the gadget detective who gives honest,frank and totally independant advice regarding the whole spectrum of technical gadgets etc.... he commented that in a recent magazine survey that tele west broadband came top of the
survey about customer satisfaction and he would have no qualms with reccomending them based on his own experiences and the mentioned survey.he did however say that ntl came rock bottom in the survey for customer satisfaction.
now here`s the punchline.....it turns out that ntl are in the process of buying telewest broadband!!!

Beecy

Reaction score
Merv,they are saying they can not offer me any broadband at all. I'm in a densely populated area and I know that the chap next door has broadband.

Would it be worth asking BT to check the line out?