Broadband

J

john ledger

I have been using BT pay as you go and was thinking of changing to a broadband.Do you have to change email address if say you move to another company. Anyone recommend any or not recommend as i am not too clued up.Will it be much hassle to move or is it better to stay with BT who quoted ?17 - 99p per month to change

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Shop around John.

AVOID AOL, don't go near it!

Not even a demo disk!

Broadband is also safer against hackers, so I've been told.

Joskin

Reaction score
I was in a similar position two years ago John. I found that I had to stay with BT to keep the Bt email address that I use.
I must say I am pleased that I did though as allot of mates use AOL and other providers and they all seem to tare their hair out in desperation for one problem or another that I never seem to experience with BT. In all I reckon I could save a pound or two a month but would have to put up with allot of hassles for the privilege.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
All good suggestions. I'm with PlusNet and have been with them for about 4 of the last 6 years. BT were about the best deal last time I set someones pc up for them (a few weeks back).

As Steve said, avoid AOL like the plague. Avoid Bulldog too. There's loads of hidden cost if you actually want to use the connection.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I'm in agreement with Jos, I'm changing to BT Broadband myself, as I have had good reports about it.

J

john ledger

Some one told me about one called Tiscali(might have got the name wrong) and another was called Talk Talk where you get all your phone calls for free but for how long.Tempted to stay with BT only because its the only one i know.
Like Joskin says i just dont want any hassle as i am useless on a computer anyway and do most things parrot fashion.Having another email address and password would do my head in

B

BLAM

Pipex have been very good for me for years now. Their available bandwidth is awesome and connectivity to the States (I need this for work) is first class. They leave you to set up a couple of things yourself so if you want an out of the box solution it might not suit but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Does the "A" in AOL still stand for what it used to?

T

The Monk

I went from dial up to AOL Silver Broadband last month and I`m still paying the same price as I did with dial up and I`ve had no problems with it, in fact I`m very impressed with the new speed, dispite the bad press AOL appears to get?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
From what Ive heard, it's fine until you TRY to leave AOL...
Similar to getting those slappers out of the bivvy by midnight!

T

The Monk

you don`t know much about serious carp fishing do you DB, if you throw them out before morning, whos going cook the breakfast?

andy robinson

Reaction score
i would stick with bt john,you get good after sales and helpdesk ,ive also heard horror stories about other service providers.1 meg broadband should be fast enough for you unless you are downloading large files.im on bt yahoo broadband a bit more expensive but with lots of extras

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I've been with AOL for 4 years and had no problems whatsoever. They've told me that in a few months I'll be upgraded from 2MB to 8MB at no extra cost so I'm happy.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Forgot to mention, avoid Tisacali like the plague. It's crap. My previous PC came with it already installed and it could never seem to locate websites. I mentioned it to my mate who's a computer boffin and he told me it's about one of the worst ISP's there is. I uninstalled it and switched to AOL and have been trouble free ever since.

Craig Hunt

Reaction score
I'm with V21 and have been for th e past 4 years. Never had a problem, router has never diconnected.
?16.99 a month for my 512 unlimited, although they do a 2MB connection with a 2gb download for ?8.99 I think

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Take your pick John but if you take my advice there are three that you should avoid at all costs, Tiscali, AOL and Demon, these are definate no-no's.

The one I would recommend is Pipex but whichever one you choose make sure it allows you to use it unrestricted or at the very least 5gb a month without extra charge.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Take your pick John but if you take my advice there are three that you should avoid at all costs, Tiscali, AOL and Demon, these are definate no-no's.

The one I would recommend is Pipex but whichever one you choose make sure it allows you to use it unrestricted or at the very least 5gb a month without extra charge. Also pay attention to the setup charges, whether it allows you to migrate to another supplier free of charge should they prove useless (in the case of Tiscali they most definately won't even if you are out of contract) and the phone charges in case of problems. A lot of these charge in the region of a pound a minute for the privelege of speaking to Gupta in Bombay who hasn't got a clue what your problem is, he just reads answers off a fact sheet and 20 minutes and ?20 later you are no further forward. Beware my friend.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
I'm with AOL, and have been for several year's, never, ever had a problem, see all the warning's from other people about what happen's if you try to leave, but, and I may be naive when it comes to computers, why should I want to leave if i'm getting a good service, ooohherrrr Mr's :eek:]

By the way, because of BT exchange problem's, I'm only on AOL Silver, fast, efficient, no problem.