Barometer

river_banksy

Reaction score
does anyone know where ican purchase a barometer from, also how to read one and do they catch you more fish.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
You can get them in jewllers, antique shops, carboot sales fleabay etc, keep your eyes peeled.

Do they catch you more fish? well no! :D Its like saying will this top of the range bite alarm catch me more fish.

What they are useful for is interpreting your catch results, then in the future you can make a guess as to what will be good conditions too fish in. A barometer shows rising and falling air pressure (in millibars??) these rises and falls in pressure usually denote a change in weather patterns. As a general rule, rising air pressure in the summer will bring settled warm conditions, in winter settled cold and frosty conditions. Falling pressure will bring periods of unsettled/stormy conditions.

Its believed that some species such as pike for instance will be triggered to feed up hard on and around a weather change. By keeping your eye on a barometer and detailed weather forecasts its possible to make an "educated guess" as too possible up and coming good conditions.

However i wouldnt base my fishing too much around one, its a little like the moon phase theories all a little inconclusive but maybe there is something in it? who knows? I go fishing when i can and if the prevailing conditions are not the best then i still go, cant be too picky :wh.

Barometers are an interesting tool to have and can help you to find patterns in your angling, but are not essential they still look nice on the wall :w

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
does anyone know where ican purchase a barometer from, also how to read one and do they catch you more fish.

My knowledge on this topic is sketchy Don Man. But the late Barrie Rickard's put store by the effects of Barometric pressure on pike, ''high pressure'' favouring lures, ''low pressure'' favouring dead bait. So pressure seems to be the key - ''isobars''

Richard Walker on the other hand, placed value on the use of a photographic light meter to determine when the optimum light values were best for roach.

Others put store by the use of a thermometer to gauge water temperatures. And now we have moon phases entering the equasion, all in an attempt to improve, or make sense of this hobby of ours. But good luck anyway.

river_banksy

Reaction score
thanks lads thats very helpful, just had a look at some on a few web sites, arnt they dear:eek:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
barometers

I have been keeping barometer records for a number of years. I have detected some trends for some species. I keep it to fairly broad ranges 0-999, 1000-1009, 1010-1019, 1020-1029 and 1030+. Is it worth it? Yes because its interesting. On its own should you follow your fishing by it; probably not. However if you keep other records and use these as well then I there is merit to it. I just bought a small barometer on Ebay for £5.19 by the way as I broke my previous one.

flightliner

Reaction score
Don man-- if you want one try the little shop in Dinnigton called Treasure island, they had one in last week -- it was an old second hand one-- I think it was £2. It was in working order. If you want to pay around the four hundred pound mark try the shop at the top of "The Hill" in Lincoln its just above the "Old Jews House" near the cathederal, they have a really good collection in there with several "Fitzherberts" (I think thats the name) which were developed for use at sea ( handy if you,re cod bashing at Bridlington lol).I have a "Stick" barometer myself- a really lovely thing that I still get enormous pleasure from , the prices of these ones have dropped in recant years on account of them contianing so much mercury but no problem to a careful owner.
Sorry to go on a bit but you touched a nerve there!!!
Best of luck in your search.

river_banksy

Reaction score
going through to worksop in the next couple of weeks flightliner i will call in at dinnington and have a look, also thanks for the info mark, it is interesting especially with the fishing aspect to it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Rising - falling

Sorry Don a bit late coming back to this. I just wanted to say it may be worth making a note if the pressures rising or falling as well as the actual pressure. I neglected to do this and I regret that so, just thought I would mention it if you do start to record. If you do keep it up. A lot of anglers start something like this and give up after a few months as they cannot discern much. I never looked at my records for 5 years and now after 10 years of doing so I have found it all very informative and educating so just thought would mention that, a bit of patience all thats required--
Does it catch more fish/ Well i am sure you will find in time that the results are different for different species and in that sense it can help you decide what to target which is what i do , not just for barometer pressures but other conditions as well such as temperatures and this has definately helped me catch more fish. Hope you do decide its worth having a go and get back to me in a year or two and I will be happy to compare results-cheers Mark

Last edited:

keora

Reaction score
I bought an Oregon Scientific barometer/temperature recorder a couple of years ago. Although it's interesting to look at the current atmospheric pressure (this morning it's 1005 mbars), it doesn't help me much to decide when to fish.

I know that if there's a fall of a few millibars in a few hours this indicates the arrival of a low pressure system, meaning a change of weather, probably with wind and rain. If it's been holding steady at 1020 or 1030 mbar for some days, then there's a high pressure system over the country, which usually gives settled weather, often with open skies.

But you can get all this information just looking at forecasts on TV, in the paper, or on the Met Offices web site.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
More about what to fish for Kieth

Its not so much about helping you decide when to fish Keith. ITS ABOUT HELPING YOU DECIDE WHAT TO FISH FOR. I put that in capitals because this point often gets misunderstood. If I find that the conditions including barometric pressure favour say tench more than carp, bream, roach etc then I fish for tench. And I base that on records not just my memory. On balance after doing a lot of experiments with this I catch more fish not that everyone believes me though.. If its about being in the right place at the right time then keeping records to find out which species are more active under which conditions can definately help. I have proved this to myself many times.

Yacko

Reaction score
A number of years ago I used to refer to a barometer before fishing, but I seem to remember I started to suspect the accuracy of the piece of kit in question. I think my parents had given it to me & it was probably purchased as an item of curiosity/ ornament. Isn't its primary purpose supposed to be for predicting the weather and presuambly if it was any good for that we wouldn't need the met office? To be a bit more serious, if I was going to put any faith in one I would like to know if it needed to be calibrated and how accurate it was- especially if getting it on the cheap

keora

Reaction score
A number of years ago I used to refer to a barometer before fishing, but I seem to remember I started to suspect the accuracy of the piece of kit in question. I think my parents had given it to me & it was probably purchased as an item of curiosity/ ornament. Isn't its primary purpose supposed to be for predicting the weather and presuambly if it was any good for that we wouldn't need the met office? To be a bit more serious, if I was going to put any faith in one I would like to know if it needed to be calibrated and how accurate it was- especially if getting it on the cheap

You can easily calibrate your barometer by referring to the European Atmospheric Pressure chart on the Met office web site.

Choose a day when there is a high pressure system over the UK, when pressures will be fairly uniform. Look at the chart produced most recently, check the pressure shown against the pressure recorded on your barometer.

The one I've got reads low by 10 mbars, so I need to add 10mbars to the pressure indicated on it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The bbc weather

You can always check the pressure for your area on the bbc.co/weather website. Most barometers can be easily adjusted to give the correct reading. I have just bought a second hand one and it was set way too high but, there was a little screw on the back and I have now got it working correctly. The pressure today read 1038 which says very dry conditions and it was P---- with rain!. They are not always good at predicting the weather correctly but, generally speaking if the pressure is dropping sharply below 1000 bad weather is on the way. The opposite is true if its rising sharply into the 1030/1040's-good weather.
In respect to fishing low pressures are generally better but, more so for some species than others, carp and crucian carp show this tendancy to quite a degree.