Float tips-- colour choice

flightliner

Reaction score
If the water background/colour/hue/shade is the same throughout a days fishing then choice of colour on a float is pretty easy, however, when trotting a swim its often the case that ones choice of float is ok one minute but not the next. What colours do you use to overcome this sometimes irksome problem.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I always make two of any float. One orange tipped and one yellow.

Strange, isn't it ?...you don't see so many yellow tipped floats for trotting, and I haven't seen a black one for ages, though I have a few from the Seventies, Ivan Marks and the like.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I buy floats in all the available colours and some spares so I can black the tip with a marker pen or white with tippex to suit conditions.

bigchub

Reaction score
Preston or Sensas used to do special float paint so that you could easily paint the tip any colour you want and then just rub it off afterwards.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Now not a lot of people would think of white - very useful though!

For overcast days or when running a stickfloat down the side of overhanging trees where the surface is often dark then you cannot beat a white tip to the float.

The other side is of course when you have that 'shiny' surface colour when a black tip is perfect.

The Sensas float paints, I think, used to have an undercoat that you applied first and then the different coloured top coat. When you were finished you simply wiped off the 'paint' dried the float and put it away until next time.

A

alan whittington

I buy floats in flame orange and if need be paint them black with a permanent marker,if i come across swims as first mentioned i paint stripes in black to give variation.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I was fishing this morning against a background of heavy,fine branches without leaves(and some sunshine would you believe!)and the flame orange tip was difficult to see....NOT impossible but it was easy to lose the tip for a few secondsif i looked away.

I have some similar floats under construction with black and yellow tips to try against this background-maybe yellow might work better but if not then I may try a sight bob at ther tip.......
Otherwise orange,black and white covers most situations...

flightliner

Reaction score
Most of my trotting is done on the Trent which being very wide is mostly silvery, so , my first choice is usually black as I can see it yards n yards downstream. On occasions however a particularly high floodbank or tree makes black impossible for a short while until the float clears the shaded portion of river-- a small circle of white paint below the black makes little differance so at times I find myself counting the time it takes for the float to clear and if it is "late" in appearing I strike which gives up the occasional fish or two.
If the swim is a long one and its dark and light water intermittantly I will opt for orange as I find this is see-able in both sets of circumstances, not as easy as black but not bad all the same, Red is not bad but its a second choice for me if i can avoid it.
Lately I have been using white on the river if the water is a dull shade but once the sun gets on it particularly when its sinking into the west it simply dissapears. A hot lemony green is also good, I have found a little hobby shop in Sheffield that does the very small tins similar to Humbrol that was around but is now hard to find (have they stopped making it ?)I go along with the temporary painting of floats but does anyone remember the little soft plastic tips of differant colours that were simply pushed onto a float tip that were around back in the sixties/seventies -- really really useful bit of kit-- I would love a couple of sets to go in my float box but I dont think they are made anymore, a real shame.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Preston or Sensas used to do special float paint so that you could easily paint the tip any colour you want and then just rub it off afterwards.

Sensas...Antenne Color, available from some tackle shops, comes in a plastic bottle with a brush, similar to tippex.

---------- Post added at 19:07 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Just found this on Ebay, funnily enough, it's my local tackle shop, and where I bought mine from...

SENSAS FLOAT BRISTLE PAINT WHITE - NEW - on eBay (end time 06-Mar-11 12:14:34 GMT)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Humbrol that was around but is now hard to find (have they stopped making it ?)
I wrote to them a while ago and asked if they still did the acrylic fluorescent paints and got a reply after 14 weeks saying I was the 2000th person they'd told that month - there's no demand for it. Heaven knows where Humbrol are going now unless you paint model trains.

The Sensas thing looks a good 'un though. Thanks for link Merv.

flightliner

Reaction score
I wrote to them a while ago and asked if they still did the acrylic fluorescent paints and got a reply after 14 weeks saying I was the 2000th person they'd told that month - there's no demand for it. Heaven knows where Humbrol are going now unless you paint model trains.
Jeff, I seem to recall that a news item some years ago told of the factory (in Hull I think)being badly damaged by fire, maybe that is the reason???

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
silicone stick float rubbers in various colours can be slipped onto a stick/waggler float tip and taken off without damaging the original colour. same with pole floats. I slip some coloured silicone tubing onto the bristle. It does add to the buoyancy of the float though and some compensatory shotting is often necessary..................
tippex is brilliant for fishing in artificial light on urban venues and it peels off easily if you do it when you pack up...............

A

alan whittington

Ask Spiders,or the indifferent cruian,their floats seem pretty good,must get their paint from somewhere.

sagalout

Reaction score
I use humbrol water based acrylic, I just tell the missus to get me some and she goes into the local model shop and buys it. Simples.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I wasn't aware of any Humbrol water-based acrylic flourescent paints, but I have used their oil based. They dropped the yellow and only do an orange and a green. Their pigment 'drops out' of suspension and they require a massive ammount of stirring every time you use them. They are gloss and a real pain to be honest....

Humbrol 14ml Gloss Fluorescent Fire Orange enamel paint # 209

Revell paints on the other hand are superb...matt and bright, and they do a great yellow.....

REVELL ENAMEL MODEL PAINT 14ml TIN ANY COLOUR REVEL on eBay (end time 12-Mar-11 14:52:27 GMT)

The orange is Number 25 and the yellow is number 312.

A word of caution. You need a good white undercoat. I use household matt emulsion from a tester. The paint will sometimes create a 'string' in the air, which instantly dries and can stick to things...keep an eye out for it, lest it ruin your creation.

018.jpg

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
An ancient dodge is to keep a few fly-tying hackle feathers of different colours, they can be attached to the float tip with a float cap (which itself can offer a quick colour contrast to the original paint) and can be trimed to suit on the bank.

Slip-on tops can be made from quills... black ones are particularly useful for the job I often have for them - fishing a red float during the day, against the reflection of far-bank trees, but wanting to drop in the margins (where the reflection is of the sky) last thing, for those carp who patrolthe edges, looking for discarded bait.