Support Your Local Shop?

C

Chris Warren

I am thinking of buying a pair of Shimano 8000 GTE Baitrunners. Now the list price is about ?125 a piece but if you shop around you can pick them up for around ?75-?80 each. In my local tackle shop they are at list but they are willing to give me 20% off - the pair for ?200. Of course that is still ?40-odd more than the mail-order places. So what do you do - save money or stop your local tackle dealer going out of business? I feel I ought to support the shop but it's going to cost me ?40-odd. What does anyone think?

R

Richard Drayson

That`s business Chris, it`s a dog-eat-dog world out there. Go for the cheaper option and get your reels mail order. It`s OK to support your local tackle shop but not when it`s going to cost you 40 quid more for the pair. Maybe if your local shop dropped his prices to match, he`d sell more tackle anyway.

K

Kevan Farmer

Chris. You could always buy the reels mail order then, with the ?40 you save, go and buy a bucket load of bait from your local tackle shop.

Kevan

R

Ray Bewick

Chris - Consider the after sales service.
How much might you spend in time & money if there's a problem.
This thread is very similar to the 'do they have to rip us off' one, so its worth looking at that.
Are you paying cash or plastic, negotiate with cash to match mail order price, pay mail order with plastic, try to ensure the card issuer takes the risk, check the issuers minimum for liability.
caveat emptor

R

Rob Mortimer

If we dont support our local tackle shops and they do hit on bad times because of the internet and mail order where will we get our bait from ?
especially casters, and what about the banter on a saturday afternoon.
They are a big part of angling and i hope they are around for a long time to come even if they are more expensive.

D

David OLoughlin

Difficult. I would negotiate remembering p&p. I buy bits from the local as Kevan suggests. Just tonight the kids in our street were hoping to go fishing over the weekend but had no split shot. Our local for the kids closed 4 years ago. I live in West London & although I can get to 3 tackle shops within 5 miles (still 1/2 hour+ drive) they can't as they are off the local bus route.
By the way I gave them my shot, it only cost them their sweets & crisps! lol

B

Bob .Car

Did you also offer to go to the tackle shop for them tomorrow and get some for them if they gave you there pocket money.

D

Dave Johnson

good effort David!!!!
my local shop has ripped me off for casters for twenty years-i now buy kit mail order an bollo.....@ to em
sentiments did not come into it ten years ago-why should they now.
personally in Staffs, I find that the ones left offer more kit etc and have usually diversified before going bust-its just another case of the healthier businesses staying afloat

C

Carp Angler

Ray said
"This thread is very similar to the 'do they have to rip us off' one, so its worth looking at that"

No its not Ray, that thread was pointing out that people were overcharging.
If his local shop was trying to sell the reels at ?150 each then that would be the same.

D

David OLoughlin

Sorry Bob, the boss has already planned my weekend for me - doesn't include fishing I'm afraid. The lads have my split shot now so it's me that has to go & spend my pocket money?
This week, they had been collecting worms in back lane & like most 8 year olds had not put slabs/bricks back. I came round the corner in car resprayed that day, hit slab left out, dislodged other rocks, result 3 x 6" scratches in side. Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!
If we had a local tackle shop they could have bought their bait, therefore my car wouldn't need painting again. Q.E.D.????

M

Malcolm Bason

Iv'e always supported my local shop as much as possible - even though I could get tackle elsewhere (mail order, internet) a lot cheeper, however, he recently closed down!! This is sad, but I feel some of it was his own doing. He was a match boy - now before anyone jumps down my throat - I'm NOT having a go at all. But because of his background, all he basically sold was match gear! Added to this his assistant was also a match angler!

Personally, I've bought 2 x carp rods from him, 1 match rod, 2 x Fox Micron SX's, loads of other stuff such as hooks and bait, a brotel, landing net, keep net and so on..... But I had to order most!!

But as I have gotten myself more and more into carp fishing, the more I realise how little he sells to cater for me! Apart from the obvious which I've already mentioned, he sells bugger all! I have to travel elsewhere for other items if I want them quickly.

He was always helpful and would order me something, but this always meant waiting a week or more, which I'm not always prepared to do. And then it usually meant that I had to order larger quantities than I really wanted.

He would offer a discount on bulk orders, but he would still be a lot dearer than mail order and the internet for instance.

Other carper's I spoke to felt the same as me - basically that he was too expensive and never had what we wanted.

R

Rodney Wrestt

David,
sorry to hear about to hear about the paintwork, but I don't think having a local tackle shop would have prevented it. The kids may have bought their own split shot but I think the bait collecting would still have taken place it's fun when your young, must be the getting filthy and like the fish they (the kids) get into a frenzy trying to get more than the kid next to them.

I supported my local tackle shop for years untill it closed when an angling centre opened in the area, it's strange because the small shop had great deals with discontinued stock and the bait was cleaned and in great condition where as the angling centre charges RRP or more if the price isn't on the packaging. I've seen products for 25% more than in the angling press but people seem to be drawn to it, the small shop always had a small trickle of customers but was never crowded you could have a coffee and a chat with Bob the owner and were never unwelcome, on the other side the staff in the centre are not all anglers and are only interested in the next customer, that's why all my large items now come from mail order. :-}~

K

Kevan Farmer

"on the other side the staff in the centre are not all anglers and are only interested in the next customer, that's why all my large items now come from mail order"

We have this sort of thing in my area. About 15 years ago - I think - a well known tackle dealer moved premises. I can't remember where they moved from but it was still local. They are now in Bloxwich High Street. Anybody who knows Bloxwich or the West Mids will probably know who I am talking about - I will not name them here for possible legal reasons. Anyway, years ago they had knowledgable staff on hand. This was great for kids as they got fairly decent advice. Nowadays they usually have a couple of assistants behind the counter who obviously do not have a clue. I suspect the only time that they have held a fishing rod is when they are stocking the racks in the shop. I have personally witnessed kids come into the shop and ask for items only to be told the most inappropriate rubbish. The other day a man and his son came in looking for a spinning rod. The 'dad'was quite obviously not an angler. They got no help whatsoever. I was about to step in and offer some advice when they just upped and left. No sale. I don't blame them at all. Just around the corner is 'Allen's'. Totally different kettle of fish. They always have somebody on hand who can advise on nearly any form of fishing. Guess where I go?

To end though, I have no sentiment whatsoever for tackle shops. They are in business to make money. I learned this when I was a youngster. If I had money in my pocket, a local - now long gone, anybody remember Norton Lane in Great Wyrley? - tackle dealer would fall over himself to make a sale. Once it became obvious I was short of cash I was ignored. That taught me a lesson that I have not forgotten.

Kevan

D

David OLoughlin

Rodney, I should of had added a lol. I don't really think the demise of our local shop resulted in my car getting damaged. Lads will be lads it was just unfortunate that they were foraging near my garage.
That local shop though, even though the chap was friendly whenever I went in, there was always a card school with other anglers in progress in the middle of the shop. You always had the feeling that the cards came 1st.
One of the shops that is still open appears to have 2 main blokes. 1 a lovely friendly chap, the other a right miserable bugger that only appears to want to spend time with his mates. That makes me feel less loyal.

W

Wendy Perry

Here's one for you then last week someone gave me a landing net so i went to the local tackle shop and bought a pole it cost me ?7.95 which to me i thought was pretty good and i always get my bait and hooks from there also my son gets all his tackle here i've bought all sorts from him chairs etc: Then this morning before i went fishing i was doing my shopping in the town centre and found a tackle shop that apparantly has been there for years so i decided to pop in like ya do :eek:)
I couldn't believe my eyes at how much cheaper this shop was the landing net pole was only ?6.95 and you got a net with it hooks cheaper bait cheaper little things like bait box my local it's ?1.50 and only 70p in the other shop all sorts so i guess my local tackle shop can no longer have me as a customer i will go into town which is only 5 mins away
Wendy

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
This is always a difficult situation. Personally I would take in the mail order advert to the shop and give the owner an opportunity to match the price taking into account postage. If he can get close to the price, say within a fiver, I would buy them from him.

If he won't match the price, well he can't complain when you walk out as he had the opportunity to do business. If enough people do this the prices will be driven down in the local shops.

W

Wendy Perry

Excellent idea that Dave i totally agree i've seen a keepnet in Anglers mail which is really good deal so i will try that and let ya know what happens

D

David OLoughlin

I agree Dave, the same principle works for most things. Years ago I approached a hardware shop when getting a workmate. They matched the price of B&Q even though there was nothing in it for them (I'm sure this was true). They said it would keep me happy but also it would keep their figures with B&Dekker up. They, like many tackle shops I'm sure, see large items as almost as a 'loss leader' but only if you ask. I'm convinced the real money is in nuts, bolts

D

David OLoughlin

I agree Dave, the same principle works for most things. Years ago I approached a hardware shop when getting a workmate. They matched the price of B&Q even though there was nothing in it for them (I'm sure this was true). They said it would keep me happy but also it would keep their figures with B&Dekker up. They, like many tackle shops I'm sure, see large items as almost as a 'loss leader' but only if you ask. I'm convinced the real money is in nuts, bolts

D

David OLoughlin

& in our case hooks & bits. (as you can see somehow sent early).