Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries

Default So Far So BrilliantI I

I am sitting in the midst of Darkest Ozland, drinking VB and reflecting in a superb 3 weeks spent in Africa, catching carp, yellowfish, grasscarp, mudfish and catfish, whilst spending time with old friends, in and around Gauteng Provice.

The carp went to just over 20 lbs, long lean pristine fully scaled commons, and the others as they should be, wild as they have evolved in nature.

Next week I move onto South Island, New Zealand, where I hope to get a few sea going brown trout on the fly.

Jet lag really starting to hurt.

Otherwise it's nice to get back to poartial roots.

SA has changed. There is certainly a lot more money around in this, the most advanced of all the African countries.

Glad you're enjoying it Ron.

Take care though, lots of earthquakes and tsunamies forecast around the ring of fire. I should avoid Japan for a while.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ron The Hat Clay View Post
    in and around Gauteng Provice.
    . . .. or, even Gauteng Province . . . . how many of them VB's have you had Ron?

Happy for you that you caught though . . . . . .

So, sat in the sun in a nice pair of Budgie Smugglers, are you?

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Glad you're enjoyign your trip Ron

Pity you missed the last day of the season - a 38lb pike came out of the Rother - just after a 5lb perch
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

Blog Entries

Peter,bunny smugglers?

Even the thought has made me feel quite ill

Glad to hear you're having agood time Ron.

Why don't you have a crack at some 20lb plus NZ longfin eels whilst you're there...
    Last edited by Dicky (Angling Trust PAC); 15-03-2011 at 18:26.
    'I'm a kind of paranoid in reverse: I suspect people of plotting to make me happy...' (J.D. Salinger, 1919-2010)

Blog Entries

I have made friends with a couple of Rainbow Lorakeets who have become quite tame. For those of you who do not know these birds, they are like small parrots with the colours of the SA flag.

They perch on your shoulder and eat bits of apple. No doubt I shall become quite attached to these birds. They don't squawk like Norwegian Blues, but they do have lovely plumage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ron The Hat Clay View Post
    I have made friends with a couple of Rainbow Lorakeets who have become quite tame.
    When we said "Go find yourself a couple of birds" I think you must have taken that the wrong way.
    Last edited by Jeff Woodhouse; 16-03-2011 at 22:36.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Are you taking a risk and practising C&R with the carp. And have a "tube or two for me "whilst your at it
    All visitors bring joy to our house .Some when they arrive and some when they leave .