Warning: bogus rod licence website

thx1138

Reaction score
Saw this elsewhere, please beware when purchasing your rod licence online.

There is a website recently sprung up that offers a rod licence 'application service'. Although the words are in there to explain what you are actually paying for if you look carefully (an extra £10 for them to 'check' you application details and process the application), there is also some misleading stuff on there. e.g. They use the words "Sea and Coarse" to describe the licence type.

Dont get sucked in, buy yours from a post office. If buying online, the application is done through the post office website also.

For the bogus site, Google search 'buy rod licence' and it comes at the top of the search (Fishingrodlicence DOT Com)

thx1138

Reaction score
Official line from the EA:

- We do not endorse this service. We are not associated with the website;

- Anglers can just as easily buy a licence on-line at Environment Agency - Fishing and without paying an additional administration fee;

- Anglers can also buy their licence over the counter at their local Post Office branch, by phoning 0844 800 5386 or by direct debit;

- The personal and financial data supplied to us is secure.

- An angler can go fishing immediately after completing the transaction process with us

- We are writing to the website owners to request that they remove the rod licence image, which we have not given them permission to use.

The bad one

Reaction score
Gotta be honest here when I read the website I though only a mug or an over-seas visitor would use such a service. And given the ease of access to a licence - POs, website and phone who in their right mind would use it?

Morespiders

Reaction score
Official line from the EA:

- We are writing to the website owners to request that they remove the rod licence image, which we have not given them permission to use.

They should be prosecuting the B...... ds, never mind requesting them to stop, this countrys a joke

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Conning sw***s!

Nowhere does it say what the charges befor eyou have entered all of your personal information. These people should be hung, drawn, and quartered.

I like this "Rod Licence Application Processing Services may suspend and/or terminate the provision of the Services to you in whole or in part without notice:"

We have your money now, thank you and goodbye.

Take them to court! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

PS: being an nosey little devil I looked up where their grand offices were - these are they

jeff-woodhouse-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture2527-26-clarendon-road-headquarters-rod-licence-application-service.jpg

Should say, thank you Google, for once you have proved invaluable.

Last edited:

Morespiders

Reaction score
A few bricks through the windows would solve the problem, with note attached, or better still a petrol bomb, cant be doing with people like this.
where is it Jeff?

Reaction score
Providing he/she provides the licence, and removes the EA logo as requested I'm not sure there is anything that can be legally done. I wondered if the possession of folks names and addresses etc and any financial details could be illegal.....but if they have been freely given and are not used for nefarious doings then I'm not sure there's anything that can be done further.

Where's Windy when you really need a legal opinion???

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
Just been informed that his service charge is £14.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

InteraX

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Just noticed that this site is currently the first link in the top banner on this site when google ads are shown.
Can't FM stop them from advertising on here at a minimum?

paul_sharman

Reaction score
Google ads

I have just blocked this site from our Google ad stream hopefully. Might take a while to come into effect though.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
The running of the top banner is out of our direct control, but we have put in a request to block this particular advert. It may take a couple of days to take effect. Thanks for advising.

Ooops, too late. :eek:

robhale

Reaction score
I hear that the ICO (Information Commissioner's Office: Data Protection and Freedom of Information Advice - ICO) are now aware that this site is registered with them on the Data Controller's Register (for holding and processing personal data) under a fictitious company name.

Apparently it's been checked under both the UK and Guernsey (where it's claimed to operate) companies house/register and doesn't exist.

It would be such a shame if a number of people filed complaints in this regard, here for example: Complaints about data protection policy - ICO

---------- Post added at 06:47 ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 ----------

Prior to the domain owners enabling the privacy option to hide their identities (I wonder why they would do that?) the domain was registered to this address:

26 Cleveland Road, South Woodford, London, E18 2AN

There is an entry as a data controller for another company at the same address, the likelyhood is your data will be sold or IMO, something much shadier if they are collecting DoB & NI numbers.

The company registered: QUALITY DESIGN (CI) LIMITED is fake and companies house again has no knowledge of it.

InteraX

Reaction score
Prior to the domain owners enabling the privacy option to hide their identities

According to nominets FAQ (Nominet - FAQ):

Can I choose not to have my address details published?
We appreciate that some individuals are concerned about having their personal address published on the WHOIS and therefore we allow non-trading individuals (consumers) the opportunity to opt out of having their address details displayed.

Surely, this is a trading business and they shouldn't have been able to opt out.

Typical, .com, so doesn't follow nominets rules.

Last edited: