calamity casting........

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
we have all done it. Where did your perfect cast go wrong?
For instance my mate cast a lure and caught a road bridge , I have caught a few moored barges on the cut on the waggler.
Where did yours go?........

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
...Into mid-river, the upper half of the rod having dissociated from the lower.
Fortunately, I was using strong string.

One of my spinnerbaits now adorns Walton bridge, if it hasn't rusted away. Bridges don't move much, even with very strong string.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I went to a commercial today and there is an area at one end ,behind the reeds,where there is no fishing from the bank. Of course it was full of carp today so I spent an hour trying to make the tricky cast for the prime spot, being new ish to fishing I was a bit all over the place and eventually I got caught in some gorse and I had to walk round to free it, when I got it free the pellet was still banded on and I was right by the area I was trying to cast to so i thought why not , I'll just throw it in , I did but threw it straight in the reeds - serves me right really.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Had a shoal of perch up against the brick work of a canal bridge. cast at the bridge and let the float bounce of and into where I wanted to fish, a few fish then slowly, very slowly the float disappeared. STRUCK! Nothing, fetched float in, was cracked to hell and water logged. Crystal wagglers for you.
I think we have all cast a lure onto the other bank of the canal in an attempt to narrow the cut.:wh Works well with heavy braid.

little oik

Reaction score
I had planned to fish close to the left hand side of an island ,the wind was blowing well from left to right .Tackled up with a slightly heavier float so I could overcast ,then draw the float back to the desired place whilst sinking the line .First cast the float went roughly where it was intended ,dropped the tip in the water to give it the old shimmy shake when I realised the the line had been blown into the vegetation of the island ,started to try and free it but to no avail and got the float snarled up in the tree ,retackled again and low and behold a carbon copy of the first cast .Looked around rather sheepishly but no one about so I moved all the kit and kaboodle a couple of swims down so I could fish the edge of the island but on the right hand side . :eek: :eek:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
My mate cast a spinner, didnt see it splash, just heard, SSSHHH*t. he turned round to see the spinner stuck in our other mates ear. Hospital to get it out.

I also saw a guy with a lump like a golf ball on his forehead, He got his line stuck up a tree, got the line as tight as he could, and pulled. SMACK the lead flew back and hit just above his eye, he was a lucky lad.

Don't ask me how, but heres one for you. But its not casting.

I went to put a boilie on a needle, and ended up with the needle stuck under my finger nail upto the first knuckle, dont ask how i managed it, because i dont have a clue. Hospital to get it out.

The funny thing was the other anglers, when i asked them to look after my gear while i went to hospital, and showed them the needle stuck in my finger, they all turned away, and one was almost sick. I lost 4 hours fishing that weekend.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I once spent a good 10 minutes casting a clipped up waggler to an island , letting a bit more line out each cast to get near as I could only to forget to clip up on the last cast and sent my float into the middle of the island

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I once cast a small Rapala into the brambles on the far bank of a small stream.

This is the day I learned not to pull a line straight at myself, but to one side. It's also the day I decided to remove the barbs from all my hooks.

I had to drive home with a small purple lure hanging from my cheek. Fortunately I have a pair of very small wire cutters at home.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Gawd 'elp us Ray..............made my lower regions wince I can tell you...in fact I feel quite faint....

My casting a 100yd of new line across the lake with a Roberts Spin Doctor(just to be sure all the twist had gone)only to overcast and end up in bushes on the far bank.I then managed to catch a tree above my head which snagged the line.......the end result was a trip to the other bank to release the 'doctor',cut the line and hand wind the line...sort of 40/50 yds or so..................about an hour in total.........................BUT still not as bad as

flightliner

Reaction score
False casting a fly line near the ticket office at ladybower res in the peak district. The levels were very high that season and it was only a few yards from the main road, anyway the inevitable happened and the unfortunate angler found himself attached to a passing lorry!'elf and safety stepped in a short while later.

Reaction score
Placed lure bag 'well out of the way' on arrival in first swim...

Went for a big cast, caught bag with lure, snapped 3ft off the tip of my spinning rod :(

Shortest session ever... doh!