Money Saving Ideas

K

Kevan Farmer

Learn to sew. You'll never have to buy another buzz bar bag again.

Kevan

ps. I learned over 20 yrs ago.

B

Bob Car

Going on fron what you put Kevan you would be supprised what uses an old pair of socks can be used for because I used to wrap my alarms up in them. (Here comes the p..s taking). Iam supprised that know one has mentioned the old Fairy bottle tops they make good bobbins.

G

GYPSY DAVE

Since when did you update to bottle tops????????????????????????

B

Bob Car

Since her in doors got the milk in cartons and I looked a bit stupid with a pint carton dangling in front of my reel as I did use the foil tops when she got pint bottles. LOL

Hi G.D, How are things long time since I spoke to you, Tracy did mention only yesterday that I was to phone you and say that when you are in the area next pop in for a coffee and you can meet the latest addition. I did try to explain to her that you are not into shi..y nappy fillers. Anyway the offer is there.
See Ya B.C

D

Dave O'L

Go round to Bob's for coffee, cheaper than a posy cafe! LOL
Remember the trick for dirty nappies Bob, keep the finger nails short!

C

Chris Bishop

Get polyballs, beads etc from art and crafts shops - much cheaper than tackle shops...

Corks make great bait poppers, fraction of the cost of Fox ones...

Use kids' hair bands as rod bands to keep sections together if you carry rods made up...

Cover landing net handle with pipe insulation so it floats if you drop it in the river...

Make drifter vanes out of old ice cream containers...

Make your own pencil floats for deadbaiting - 20p a time, as opposed to ?3.25 for Fox floats...

Get NiCad batteries for aerators, torches, bite alarms etc - save a fortune in the long run...

Get a carborundum stone from your local DIY shop for a cheap hook sharpener...

R

Ron Clay

Hang around at the end of a fishing match. You can usually manage to cadge several pints of maggots, pellets, worms casters for free. Many match anglers chuck their bait in the water at the end of a contest.

It helps to look down and out by the way.

Here's a tip from the legendary Ray Webb. Never travel at more than 40 mph. Always freewheel down hills or keep the vehicle in top gear. Collect cattle feed from the mangers in winter. Mixed with molasses it makes an excellent breakfast for you!

Always time your visits to the pub carefully. You can often get a nights drinking in without paying if you know how to time your mates round buying cycles.

In winter, alway go to bed fully dressed in your fishing gear so that you can build up a good fug around you body next morning. You then don't need the central heating.

W

Wendy Perry

hahahahah nice one Ray i'll remeber them

well the forum has been really quiet this week where is everyone hope you all haven't gone to France to meet the others :eek:)

K

Kevan Farmer

I'm not in France Wendy. Never been there actually though I will one day. I tend to go further afield - Australia. Crap fishing though.

Anyway, this is not so much of a money saving tip as just a useful tip. Dab some Tip-Ex on the inside of reel spool. You can then write the breaking strain of the line plus date and anything else you want on it. When you want to remove it just scratch it off with your fingernail.

W

Wendy Perry

Hey Kevan its the only tip i can understand tho :eek:) i often wondered how i would know what strengh of line is on the two spare spools so cheers for that

R

Rodney Wrestt

Put a few grains of rice in your box of hooks or box of bits to absorb any moisture and stop rust.

R

Rodney Wrestt

When waggler / pole fishing shallow water or a stick float fishing, run the line above the float along the top of a Lipsil (chapstick) to make the line float so it makes less disturbance on the strike.

B

Bob Car

I started this thread about a week ago with the intention of trying to find out if it was true that most anglers are really helpful to one an other. Well a week on a I am really chuffed with the response and I hope that other people are finding some of the tips helpfull, so keep it up as even the simplest of things may assist someone.

A big thankyou from Bob.Car

W

Wendy Perry

And a big thankyou from me Bob coz it all started with me saying my tackle was an embarresment becoz i am a begginer .
you guys are the best thanks so much :O)

C

Chris Bishop

How about a slight change of tack. What's the most useful everyday item you can scrounge and turn into something useful..?

Mine has to be those little mesh bags you put washing tablets in - great for keeping leads, loose change etc together in your pocket.

Or paperclips - instant baiting needle/emergency run clip, keeper eye (just straighten into an S shape) etc.

Or pipe insulation - rod clips, disc around the handle stops the rods sliding off the rests on steep banks, bigger bit round the landing net stops it sinking when you drop it in the river, short bit in a plasic tub makes a rig bin or repairs a pock-marked old rig bin etc.

K

Kevan Farmer

How about using those skewers that you can get for kebab making as float stems? I've only made the one using them but it won't be the last. Now what I could do with knowing is what to use as body material? I can shape balsa dowel but it's tedious. Any ideas?

By the way, the Tip-Ex idea is not my original idea. I do not remember where I saw it but I cannot take the credit for it originally. However, I'm glad it is useful. I used to use small stickers but they don't last.

Kevan