What are these fish?

cb

Admin
Reaction score
I was sent this image tonight from a friend who took this photo walking along the banks of a local river. He thought they were between 4 and 6in in length which puzzled me a bit -- so I thought I'd ask the experts!

IMG_7821c.jpg

:)

cb

Admin
Reaction score
Minnows,

I'd thought that too - but when he said how long they were and that he'd been told by a local angler that they were Gudgeon I started to doubt myself! :doh:

Colin

cb

Admin
Reaction score
He probably meant centimetres

He actually said 10 to 15cm - it was me that put it in old money ;)

Just must be proper 'man' sized like we breed them up here in Durham.

River Browney, Durham City (Wear trib).

Colin

chav professor

Reaction score
RECORD BREAKING MINNOWS!!! AND YOU POSTED THEIR LOCATION HERE:eek:

Just wait, you will have the specimen angling world descend en mass, you'll never get a minnow swim again.....:eek:mg:

A

alan whittington

They are minnows,he probably says he's got 15" private parts too.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yes minnows.
Caught a barbel on minnow live bait from Marlow Weir in the 70’s. Admittedly I was fishing for chub at the time but surely this must be a rarity.

---------- Post added at 02:12 ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 ----------

Oops - apparently not - thinking back I vaguely recall minnow live bait being used intentionally for barbel.

A

alan whittington

Yes minnows.
Caught a barbel on minnow live bait from Marlow Weir in the 70’s. Admittedly I was fishing for chub at the time but surely this must be a rarity.

---------- Post added at 02:12 ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 ----------

Oops - apparently not - thinking back I vaguely recall minnow live bait being used intentionally for barbel.

It definitely isnt mate,the late,great,Peter Stone caught many barbel trotting minnow when he was a boy.