Marlow Weir

barbelboi

Reaction score
On a lighter note where I’m sure everyone will keep their heads, metaphorically speaking, is there anyone out there that knows why the fantastic fishery at Marlow Weir was taken off the Thames weir permit in the late 70’s (was elf & safety rife then?) I remember fishing it for some 10 years for various species, waiting for the lock keeper to open at 9am, and never seeing another person other than my fishing colleagues. This was always on a Saturday mind, I can’t speak for the rest of the week as I was working then. One must assume that it was quieter during the week, if possible.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Can't say for sure.

The land down one side is owned by the Hotel and it's syndicate members and hotel guests only, best book a bed for the night and ask for a fishing permit? :D

The rest would mean fishing from the steel gantry and that wouldn't be safe for the fish let alone yourself. There are a couple of private houses there, but fishing from their land isn't really practicable even if they gave you permission.

Answer: get a boat, anchor up and fish away.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff
Unfortunately a boat and trailer slightly exceed the cost of a weir permit. How times change – back then we used to cross the ‘stepping stones’ at the back end of the weir apron and fish from the Complete Angler without ever once being spoken to. Then later off across the road to the Marlow Donkey for a reasonably priced pint of bitter and home.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Shame, and unlikely to get a "reasonably" priced pint in the Marlow Donkey these days. When last I heard it was a kind of bistro pub.

Stay in touch, though. I have a CA ticket and can take a guest - and - also have a boat - with trailer. :D Not safe to go ther alone anyway -
jeff-woodhouse-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture224-ufo-over-marlow.jpg

barbelboi

Reaction score
Many thanks

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

PS I have a life jacket

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Some pretty decent water in that area (say from Marlow right through to Hurley) most of which you can walk without every seeing more than one or two fishermen.....in fact I wonder sometimes if members of the Marlow AC ever fish................and if they do,where??

Some excellent fishing to be had in the area if you are prepared to search for it....thats all I will say...................

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You're not going to mark the hot swims on google maps for me then?
You'd have to join Marlow AC to fish those swims TeeCee talks of. Just before Temple lock there's a little side stream shoots out into the river and then curves around into the normal flow. That used to be, should still be, excellent for perch with a stick float and maggots run on the inside of that current from just downstream.

If you don't want to join Marlow, try the free stretch from Marlow Lock Cut downstream to just around the bend. That's about 5-600 yards of excellent fishing with some big barbel being taken off the point at the end. John Wilson used to recommend it as one of the best stretches of river in the country for dace, sadly no longer following cormorant predation.

Go down to Gossmore Lane and into the turn before Firview Close, there's a car park at the end and walk straight on for the river.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
If you don't want to join Marlow, try the free stretch from Marlow Lock Cut downstream to just around the bend. That's about 5-600 yards of excellent fishing with some big barbel being taken off the point at the end. John Wilson used to recommend it as one of the best stretches of river in the country for dace, sadly no longer following cormorant predation.
.[/URL]

After a few years without a club (apart from two river stretches with small clubs)I have recently joined Intertype and they have a couple of stretches at Boveney and Cliveden, also a backwater at Bray (Not familiar with these stretches yet - looking forward to a scouting trip before the season opens to get my bearings). I’ll take in the free stretch at Marlow you so kindly mentioned at the same time (I assume it’s the lock where the old lock keepers cottage was/is by the weir?) but not wanting to join another club at this time as apart from Intertype I have access to two stretches of the Loddon at Twyford, a syndicate ticket for the Colne near West Drayton and, as I was earlier informed, the probability of a stretch of the Wey Navigation at Ripley via the TVAA...phew. Prefer small river barbel fishing these days (apart from a certain Thames weir) as I find the Thames barbel can be very nomadic and predominately nocturnal. Oh for the days when you could get a goer dace a trot.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Don't forget with Intertype, you get a nice stretch of the Colnbrook too. I keep meaning to fish this, but time - just not enough of it.

Whilst you're exploring, take in Odney at Cookham. Once you're on the island it's all free fishing. There's also the Thames at Boulter's Lock island, that's free fishing, but with a chargeable car park across the road. Watch the time there otherwise you'll get locked in.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Don't forget with Intertype, you get a nice stretch of the Colnbrook too. I keep meaning to fish this, but time - just not enough of it.

Yes, know the stretch and it certainly looks interesting. Spent too much time on the Colne and Loddon last season - when fishable. I spent the ‘81 wedding fishing Cookham, the stretch with the back water, hardly caught – head banging hot. (Well that’s my excuse)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
As I've said before the Odney stretch at Cookham needs to be fished early,and I mean the crack of dawn,if you want to catch......either that or very late evening.I haven't fished it for some years but I know it is very shallow generally and any disturbance will mean a blank day..
Also try the little stream running down to the Thames at the weir as this can produce some good roach/chub on light tackle but again you need a touch of the red indian in you to sneak up on all fours......................(if I did this now I might never get up again!!!)

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thames at the weir as this can produce some good roach/chub on light tackle but again you need a touch of the red indian in you to sneak up on all fours......................(if I did this now I might never get up again!!!)

I'm surely a sneaky so and so. However I might well be past my sell by date for all fours for long periods. I'll rely on my blue/grey T shirt to make myself invisible – got to be better than this expensive camo gear – just think of a heron, dates back to the dinosaurs and over millions of years of evolution has obviously got it’s colours for successful camouflage whilst fishing right.