Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlow Weir

Default Marlow Weir

On a lighter note where I’m sure everyone will keep their heads, metaphorically speaking, is there anyone out there that knows why the fantastic fishery at Marlow Weir was taken off the Thames weir permit in the late 70’s (was elf & safety rife then?) I remember fishing it for some 10 years for various species, waiting for the lock keeper to open at 9am, and never seeing another person other than my fishing colleagues. This was always on a Saturday mind, I can’t speak for the rest of the week as I was working then. One must assume that it was quieter during the week, if possible.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Marlow Weir

Can't say for sure.

The land down one side is owned by the Hotel and it's syndicate members and hotel guests only, best book a bed for the night and ask for a fishing permit?

The rest would mean fishing from the steel gantry and that wouldn't be safe for the fish let alone yourself. There are a couple of private houses there, but fishing from their land isn't really practicable even if they gave you permission.

Answer: get a boat, anchor up and fish away.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks Jeff
    Unfortunately a boat and trailer slightly exceed the cost of a weir permit. How times change – back then we used to cross the ‘stepping stones’ at the back end of the weir apron and fish from the Complete Angler without ever once being spoken to. Then later off across the road to the Marlow Donkey for a reasonably priced pint of bitter and home.

Blog Entries

Shame, and unlikely to get a "reasonably" priced pint in the Marlow Donkey these days. When last I heard it was a kind of bistro pub.

Stay in touch, though. I have a CA ticket and can take a guest - and - also have a boat - with trailer. Not safe to go ther alone anyway -
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Many thanks

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

PS I have a life jacket

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barbelboi View Post
    PS I have a life jacket
    No good if the spaceship beams you up!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Woodhouse View Post
    No good if the spaceship beams you up!

Exactly, probably better to stay on dry land and buy some camo gear!

Some pretty decent water in that area (say from Marlow right through to Hurley) most of which you can walk without every seeing more than one or two fishermen.....in fact I wonder sometimes if members of the Marlow AC ever fish................and if they do,where??

Some excellent fishing to be had in the area if you are prepared to search for it....thats all I will say...................

Quote Originally Posted by Tee-Cee View Post
    Some excellent fishing to be had in the area if you are prepared to search for it....thats all I will say...................
    You're not going to mark the hot swims on google maps for me then?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barbelboi View Post
    You're not going to mark the hot swims on google maps for me then?
    You'd have to join Marlow AC to fish those swims TeeCee talks of. Just before Temple lock there's a little side stream shoots out into the river and then curves around into the normal flow. That used to be, should still be, excellent for perch with a stick float and maggots run on the inside of that current from just downstream.

If you don't want to join Marlow, try the free stretch from Marlow Lock Cut downstream to just around the bend. That's about 5-600 yards of excellent fishing with some big barbel being taken off the point at the end. John Wilson used to recommend it as one of the best stretches of river in the country for dace, sadly no longer following cormorant predation.

Go down to Gossmore Lane and into the turn before Firview Close, there's a car park at the end and walk straight on for the river.
    Last edited by Jeff Woodhouse; 30-04-2011 at 10:09.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast