murderous Welshman

R

Rod Goldsmith

Hello boys and girls, ive been lurking for a while but have not actually posted untill now. If you hear a loud pop it's just my cherry. Who said fishermen/women weren't bright enough to work a computer! I am an aptly named Rod and live in the Byfleet, Surrey area and my dilema is this - A mate of mine has kindly asked me to go to Wales with him to fish a lake his dad owns on a shooting/fishing estate. The lake is of course a trout lake but they want me to fish for the grass carp that are in there (which i've been told grow to several feet in length). Lucky sod some of you might - and i would have to agree but( and isn't there always one ) providing i keep any that i catch so that some murderous Welshman can come along and dispatch the beautiful creatures.( which i would find on par with King Herod cathching and murdering the baby Jesus ). So, shall i go and just release any fish that i catch, or shall i not go at all. Bearing in mind that if i dont catch these fish someone else will - and probably with a shotgun! Now is that a virgin post to be proud of or what.
Rod xxx

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Go, but arrange for somebody to collect the fish you catch before the 'murderous Welshman' comes along and claims them. Then put them in a water where they'll be appreciated.

All with a Section 13 of course......

Oh yes, not bad for a first post Rod.

W

Wendy Perry

I agree Rod with Graham but wow what a situation to be in i wouldn't have a clue what to do ..... But welcome from me to the best forum in the uk :eek:) ( graham drop me the bottle of red later ;o)

M

Malcolm Bason

Hello Rod - welcome to fishingmagic.

If the lake is owned by the dad of your mate, could you/he not state that you only go on the condition that any carp caught are released back into the water. It might just be an ideal opportunity to educate murderous Welshmen!! ;o)

P

Phil Hackett

Oops Graham! it section 30 mate!
Which are somewhat hard to get for the stocking of grass carp now.
The regs have been tightened up in the last 12 months.
The Agency would need to see some of the fish to health check them as well I think?

R

Rod Goldsmith

Unfortunately, my mate said that they just want these fish out of the lake and returning them isn't an option. He also revealed that there are 16 grass carp which were put in there about eighteen years ago. I could transfer them illegally but would no doubt get caught, besides which Wales is a bloody long way to bring fish back from. I think i'll have to go along anyway - the chances of cathching one are probably very slim but they sound like they will be worth having a go for. (even if they are inadvertantly lost at the net).
cheers
Rod

C

Carp Angler

Stick thenm in the nearest river and we'll get more Welsh record chub...........

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Sorry Phil, got my numbers mixed up, section 30 it is. It was a tongue-in-cheek reply really but just in case anyone doesn't know, a section 30 (very briefly) is the signed authority you need from the EA to move fish from one water to another.

R

Ron Clay

Now Now we must be careful how we speak about Welsh folk. I have a good many friends who are Welsh and damn fine people they are too.

Funny thing about the Welsh is that the conversation always seems to get around to rugby. I can never understand this because they can't play the game too well and often have to import the odd Springbok/Allblack to show them how it is done. LOL

C

Chris Bishop

I worked there years ago. Used to get tens of thousands of them outside the office signing Sospan Fach every other Saturday.

R

Rob Brownfield

I have come up with a cunning method that i use on the water i wish where all pike must be killed!! I put them in a keep net...with the words to the keeper.."..that will keep them fresh...i'll kill them when i leave!" However...and here is the cunning bit...I have no bottom to the net!!! :eek:)

Do the same with the carp!!..Works wonders...keeper thinks i am going to kill them...so he is happy...and i know that he will be gone when I leave,,,but if he is skulking around...i just say..."damn...the pike have holed my net!"...sorted!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Would you like to elaborate on that, or are we to guess what you mean?

W

Wendy Perry

I don't understand Rob at all ???????? i don't like to keep hearing " killing fish " what do you mean

S

Stuart Bullard

Wendy, many waters want Pike killed to protect fish stocks. These are normally trout resevoirs/lakes. I must admit it is the first time I have heard of carp being killed, so my instinct would be to avoid the lake, friend or no friend. In Australia you are required by law to kill carp because they are considered vermin. I know a few people who have got a bit emotional about the situation is Oz, however its a bit like the grey squirrel being introduced over here from the US, and this resulted in our native red squirrels becoming virtually extinct.

R

Rob Brownfield

Wendy, my local Pike water (it only holds Pike, eels, brown trout and a pair of Ospreys) has a new keeper. He insists ALL pike are killed....he has slaughtered fish to 27 pounds this year! When I catch a pike, and he is about (hides in the bushes...but I can spot him..lol) I slip the pike into a bottomless keep net. he thinks i am keeping them "fresh" to eat. The Pike swims out...he goes home happy in the knowlegde that thats some more evil pike dead...and I pack up happy!..and mr pike is wimming around a little confused, but very much alive!

G

Geoff Palmer

And I thought by emigrating to Wales and educating the Celts they would have known better than to kill fish.

Don't advertise the fact, its just what the antis want to hear.

And the welsh can play rugby, just not to the english standard.

S

Stewart Moss

Rod, I think you should definitely fish for the grass carp, but only after you try to organise a new home for them.
What about contacting the nearest commercial fishery (there are a fair few in Wales) and seeing if they would be interested in the Grass Carp? If all the legal stuff (& transport) was the only expense it may interest them, esp if there are some big fish involved. I've caught a few Grassies and they're great sport, esp caught on floaters.
If you managed to succeed in the venture think what a great feeling you'd have by catching them, and a good story for the fishing press!!