Who makes the best fixed spool reels?

dezza

Reaction score
Even before that, many anglers were taking off and holding the spool of a centre-pin reel in their left hand whilst clamping the line to the spool rim with their thumb. A steady swing, the release of the thumb and away went the terminal rig.

The next cast was done with the reel being held in the opposite manner to eliminate line twist. The best reel for this sort of work was the JW Young Seldex.

Look it up.

A further development was the Orlando side cast reel where the spool was placed onto a post fixed spool style and reversed again to eliminate line twist. There was even a "memory tickler" on the reel to tell you which way to mount the spool for casting.

Due to the design of the spool, incredible distances could be cast with these reels. The biggest disadvantage of course is that you had a slow rate of line retrieve.

South African freshwater anglers had been using set ups as described for many years.

beerweasel

Reaction score
I seem to remember a reel called the rolling pin, with a pivot. I think it was made by Bruce and Walker.

dezza

Reaction score
The Rolling Pin, made by JW Young was another form of the side cast reel of which several appeared. The earliest was probably the Malloch sidecaster which appeared over 100 years ago.

Later developments along these lines were the "Adaptercast", a device where a centre-pin reel could be made into a side caster, and the Australian Alvey surf casting reel.

All these reels, because the spool cannot be reversed, cause line twist.

The firse true fixed spool reel as we know it today was probably the Illingworth, which was an adaptation of the bobbin on a cotton or lace spooling machine. JHR Bazley of Leeds was an enthusiastic exponent of this reel.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I thought that was the Young's Ray Walton rolling Pin' designed by Ray himself for the rolling meat method down on the Royalty fishery.

Well Ray does have the rolling pin, the finish is his design, but the turning pin is nothing new, i have seen a couple of wooden pins that do the same thing.

andy nellist

Reaction score
For light ledgering and float fishing I use diawa airitys - expensive but vey light and utterly superb reels

For heavy ledgering I use shimano xte 10000's which apart from having rather soft double handles that I sometimes have to bend back into shape are excellent

I would add that I always play fish by backwinding so I like to use reels that are smooth and have big spools and a decent gear ratio

In the past use intrepids (black prince, prince regent), mitchells (324, 206, 300, 410 810), Abu (cardinal 54's, 506M) and then shimano (baitrunners of various sizes and super match x 3000) and now diawa

The intrepids were **** and the mitchells were ok but hopelss. Compared to modern reels. I loved my 54's but they too would now be dated. The 506M was a pain to use because of the line getting caught up in the reel far too often. The shimano's have been great and I love my xte's for heavier ledgering/distance work and the diawas are bliss to use.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I am sure there are manufacturers who make reels for all types of fishing but for general match /pleasure fishing Diawa are in the lead as far as I am concerned. The TDR and TDX 2508 and 3012 are the best of the rest at the moment.........

little oik

Reaction score
I went from a Black Prince (woolworths)to Mitchells then to a Shakey closed face which lasted one session to Abu's and a Sigma but then found Shimanos,and haven't really fancied trying anything different .Apart from a couple of Dragon Carp reels that I bought really cheap but only for a dablle in the spodding lark

waggy

Reaction score
Although I've got Shimano, Browning and Grauvell reels, by far my favourite is my little Grauvell Orion - lots of bearings, smooth as silk and never fouls up. It's better than a bait runner if left with the non-return off and a joy to use with light line. Deadly with braid or mono.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Shimano for me, stradics if fishing on seatbox and platforms, exage for grubbing amongst mud. Also have Okuma baitrunners, smallish reels with several spare spools. Great for clumbsy work amongst trees etc as fairly cheep. Have ditched Shakeys, TFG and Mag.

dezza

Reaction score
Hi Andy,

Just a small point: I would like to see you, or anyone else for that matter play some of the fish I have been catching lately by backwinding.

:)

It's interesting to note that many modern fixed spool reels are now proving the equal to multiplying reels when it comes to playing extremely fast and hard fighting salt water species. They are even boating marlin on Daiwa Saltigas