Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Who makes the best fixed spool reels?

A couple of years ago I would have said without hesitation: Shimano. Now, more and more I am coming down in favour of Daiwa, mainly because of how robust their reels are and how they stand up against abuse and salt water.

Two years ago I used a Daiwa salt water fixed spool reel off the Western Australian coast and hooked a dirty great shark on it. I had no chance of landing this monster which could have weighed upwards of 500 lbs, but I did get a glimpse of the fish and fought it for what seemed like 1/2 a day. It was a long time before the shark eventually bit through the trace.

I gave that reel a hell of a hammering and it stood up very well.

I also have a TDR reel I use for general float fishing using lines from 6 lbs to 2 lbs bs. What a wonderful little reel this is, as smooth as silk with a drag to be dreamed of. I have caught all sorts of fish on this reel from big tench to good roach, from near double figure barbel on the float to lots of perch.

But what do you think? Who in your opinion makes the best FS reels and why?

Default Re: Who makes the best fixed spool reels?

Mitchell by a long shot. The simplicity of the gearing ensures reliable operation. Very little to go wrong on them.
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

Blog Entries

As I don't go Sea Fishing then salt corrosion is not one of my considerations.

So, for float and light leger work; A Shimano Stradic 2500.

For heavier leger work then the Shimano Stradic 4000. I also use these for most of my Tench fishing too

These Stradics are excellent reels, the clutch (drag) is super smooth and the fighting drag capability is an added bonus feature.

For Carp fishing then I returned to Daiwa a year or so ago, with the excellent Infinity 5500's.
    Certainly not a cheap reel especially when you need 3 though!

The clutch (drag) is finely tunable, the extra long and deep spool takes masses of line, line lay is perfect, and to my mind (an advantage over the Shimano's) the lever you move to engage the 'batirunner' facility clicks OUTWARDS and folds back INWARDS when retrieving. Why do shimano do it the other way?
    Its illogical Captain
    Last edited by Peter Jacobs; 18-05-2011 at 13:51.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

For my 1000 th post, I agree with Ron! Cheers' FM

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cholmondeley-Corker (PaSC) View Post
    Mitchell by a long shot. The simplicity of the gearing ensures reliable operation. Very little to go wrong on them.
    Which Mitchells old egg type or new? I haven't tried the new ones.
    PaSC Failed Club

There are many anglers that swear by the Mitchell 300 and rarely use anything else.
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

Have any of you used Magnesium reels ? because I hate the feel of Graphite bodied reels. I know Mitchell do one (looks nice), pfluegler (US), and Shakespeare but is too shiny (designed to catch anglers).
    PaSC Failed Club

There are many anglers that swear by the Mitchell 300 and rarely use anything else.
    I swear at mine too.

Re: the thread:
    A close friend sings the praises of the TDR series although I have not used any Daiwa reel since the 70’s. I have never had a problem with any of my Shimano reels so no cause to defect as yet although I did buy an Epix some years ago that is still going strong. What I would like to know is how Daiwa sell the Tournament Basiair at approx £700 rrp (£599 on offer).......who buys them..... and has anyone ever seen one on the bank? Sounds a bit like the fishing world’s version of a concept car.
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

I use Shimano's for most of my fishing .I was given a korum baitrunner last year for my birthday but as of yet it hasn't had an outing .Perhaps I will get around to doing a product review with it in the next couple of years .(just doesnt ooze quality if you know what I mean)
    All visitors bring joy to our house .Some when they arrive and some when they leave .

Blog Entries

Bollox!!!

I have trashed 2 x 300s and 2 x 410s in the 70s playing fish on them.

One sharp toothed catfish stripped the gears of a 410.

---------- Post added at 09:43 ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 ----------

As regards the Shimano Stradics, I have two of them and they are still as good as new.

However the gear ratio is too high.
    Last edited by Ron The Hat Clay; 18-05-2011 at 17:15.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast