OK, So Why Do Hair Rigs Work?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
My understanding of the medusa rig was that it is exactly how Ron and Mr Monk have described it but as with all rigs you will get variations, Were I to guess at the rig you have described Baz, it would be that it is a hair rigged maggot setup that I have used on two or three occasions on the Severn (but with a much lighter hair line and not so complicated) but with no noticeable increase in catch rate as compared to directly hooked maggots. I believe carp anglers use it on occasions as well.

That is only my opinion and I do not profess to be an authority on this matter, my choice is always for the simple rigs and I leave the complicated stuff to those that like it.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

The cork rig ia a variation of the medusa as I have described it Graham.
Bottom baits came before popped up baits. In any reference I have found on the medusa, it is described as how I have said it.
There is nothing complicated about setting it up. I am not an authority on this matter either. But I do have a good memory.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Sorry so late getting back Fred, I have a set of small metal files, not bought specifically for the purpose by the way. I had them from my days as a Fuji engineer and they are great for sharpening hooks and clips and anything else that needs making pointier.

I file away from the point, like when sharpening a knife.

My understanding of the Medusa was maggots glued to a cork/poly ball, bl@@dy fiddly it was too.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

The name: "Medusa Rig" comes from the mythical Greek horror which had snakes growing out of her head.

Where did you get that idea from Monk?

T

The Monk

yeah thats her Ron, she used to go in the Cats Whiskers in Oldham, a right ruffe slapper