Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for worms

A friend of mine invited me to his allotments (at the end of my street fortunately) to collect some worms for fishing.
    I dug up a large pile of chicken cr*p and have never seen so many worms, i was picking up 10 at a time and by the time i finished i had hundreds, further more i can go back whenever i want.
    The worms i beleive are brandling, rings going down the body with a yellow secretions when peirced with a hook.

I've had enough lately of catching loads of tiddlers on wag and mag and fancy using the method / cage feeder to catch some larger specimens.

I did alright using worms and rubber maggots (to keep the worms on the hook and get it out the way of the hookpoint) on thursday night with one nice slab around 5lb a small carp and one small perch.

Fished yesterday and hardly got a bite, using the method with loads of chopped worms added, 2 rods, match and specimen.(eventually went back to the float on one rod with maggots and had a bream)left the carp rod out had a few short beeps but that was it.

with this amount of free worms available any body got any good ideas to get the bites going, want to make good use of this valuable resource

you got a blender?

yes

good

I'm not sure that brandlings are very highly rated as bait. The problem is in that yellow secretion which is, I understand, a chemical defence mechanism to stop them being eaten. And as that's exactly what you want to happen, you have a problem. I'm not saying you won't catch, and indeeed you have, but there are better worms like dendrabenas, reds and lobs.

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA) Guest

Jim, they do secrete a yellowish fluid but I have used them on the hook in the past and have had barbel,grayling and perch on them.They are not very robust though and go limp fairly quickly.

Nicky, maybe the fish just weren't feeding.How was every one else doing?

Yeah, like I said, they do catch fish, but perhaps not as well as other worms. If you want to toughen them up, you can always use the old fashioned method of "scouring" them in moss and grit or brick dust for a few days. I found this method in an old fishing book and it does work. Still prefer a lob, though.

i have got an old fishing book that tells you to leave them in a pot of heather for a few days it toughens them up and makes them really wriggly, i tried it once years ago and it did work, but i suppose anything rough will do.

Like i said i think they're brandlings that seems to be whats available in my area my garden compost seems to be full of them as well. Mind you there are some approaching the size of what i would call a lob worm so maybe i've got it wrong, does anyone know how to identify them for definate

ive found brandlings dont work as well as other worms, i can get a lot from sisters stables ive been told its to do with the yellow fluid so i prefer lobs or red worms

The yellow bands on the body and the yellow gunk that they produce if you handle them roughly means they are brandlings. They are the classic compost heap worm. Redworms are just that, red, small and like rotting horsemuck. They are fantastic bait. Lobs are paler with the flat tail. You'll find them on damp grass at night, in damp soil and in rather expensive tubs in your tackle shop. Next to the dendrabenas. If you are looking to branch out in the world of worm fishing I recommend Tommy Topsoil's worms on 01422 831112. Not cheap but great service and lobworms that you have to stun with a mallet to get onto the hook!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast