Rother Carp

J

john ledger

Good friend of mine and secretary of Catcliffe Angling Club Clive Nuttall has just rang me to say a river carp of nearly 20lb has been caught on the river.
This is great news for this once polluted river and with chub to over 5lb barbel to 9lb roach to 2lb numerous dace up to 1lb and huge perch to 4lb.Clive and his pals have worked wonders on this river and all their hard work is bearing fruit,brilliant news.

Beecy

Reaction score
I went down to have a look at the catcliffe strech at the back end of last season John. I must admit I didnt realy like the look of the day ticket bit above the bridge, it looked a bit grotty and most of the stages were way too high off the water for my liking. Does it get better below the bridge on the members bit?

Also,is it ok to park in the plough carpark?

J

john ledger

Ian
Sorry about the delay in replying,yes it was from Clives stretch
Beecy
Yes the members stretch is the best bit by far.
Plenty of big carp on the Rother at Bow Bridge near the Hovis factory

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I have fished with Clive on a few occasions at Catcliffe.

In the days just after WW2, my Grandad used to take me for walks in a pushchair around the Rother near Treeton and Catcliffe. This was before my Dad returned from the army. Some of the earliest recollections I have are of the awful smell of the Rother.

Clive has done a first class job in making the banks of the Rother fishable too.

R

John,

If the Rother has produced dace to a pound, is now the best dace river in England. Such fish are extremely rare. 1lb 4oz or thereabouts is the record!

J

john ledger

Les
Believe the year was 1895 when Ron was in the pushchair.
Ron
The members stretch at Catclffe is full of dace and some large ones.The Don at Kilnhurst had some crackers in a few years ago but they have been replaced by smaller ones.
Bow Bridge holds some really big dace but the place is a tip and you would not feel safe fishing there

R

I have heared John that Canklow is to be bulldozed and all the lowlives to be buried under it.

Within a year or two, we will be able to fish the Rother in peace, and that Canklow will cease to exist!

J

john ledger

I once went down to Bow Brige with a camera for A S ,not too fish but to photograph the rubbish dumped by the low lifes of Canklow. There where old bedspreads fridges oil cans you name it,scum of the earth.

marcus ballam

Reaction score
John,

The thing is, i was brought up in kimberworth, so i know what it means for the Rother to produce a 20, fantastic. I also understand why canklow has got such a stigma attached to it ( along with dalton as it was). But i'm sure not everyone from those areas are "low life scum" as you have said. Bit of a generalisation don't you think?

R

Heyup Marcus,

I live in Kimberworth too.

For a very short period of my life, I also lived in Canklow.

Maybe we can get together some time for a beer and a chat. My local is the Manor Barn.

marcus ballam

Reaction score
Ey Up Love...

Manor barn is a bit far for me now as i live in Hove!!!

Maybe we will meet at a fish in (cant make the trent unfortunatly....), a beer on the bank is worth two on kimmie hill!!!

Regards

Marcus

Beecy

Reaction score
I once got a drink chucked over me in the Manor Barn

I was meeting a girl from Kimberworth for a first date but I turned up bladdered after dioing the afternoon session with the lads, she wasn?t impressed.

I

Ian Cloke

Marcus, I don't see where John has called all the people of Canklow low life scum?? I read his post as the people who dumped the rubbish being the scum of the earth. Which is something I agree with entirely!! People who dump rubbish, anywhere, are people who don't have any respect for anything. They don't care what they are doing, it's no longer their problem. But what they fail to realise is that it is their problem, they are polluting the water, and damaging the natural enviroment where they live. This is why I agree with John's statement.

J

john ledger

Ian
Marcus obviously likes to go nit picking and looking for point scoring.He should also go to the opticians because he has trouble reading,it was Ron who mentioned the lowlifes to start with
He asked me a question and i gave him an honest answer,we do supposedly live in the land of the free speech and you know me Ian i wear my heart on my sleeve.
Marcus if you cannot take an honest answer its too bad and you have a problem.
Just for the record Marcus do you condone people dumping cars in a river like whats happened at Bow Bridge,these people are low life scum of the earth.
On a more light hearted note i have just come back from Morrisons and yes have bought some black pudding