has the penny dropped?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Watching BBC 1 tonight the One show had a feature on trout being rescued and relocated downstream due to a river drying up. Closely followed by Springwatch featuring Dr Roach (Mark Everard) with excellent footage of minnows and explaining their vital importance in the food chain for many species. Lets face it the beeb has made a few rickets lately and we have written complaints to their editors, has the penny finally dropped?

Bluenose

Reaction score
Don't hold your breath, they'll probably show the 3298453th repeat of 'The Dying Swan' this weekend 'to balance it out a bit'!

jack sprat

Reaction score
Rivers drying up is far from just a UK problem at present. The Times had an article yesterday stating that rainfall in much of France, Belgium, Holland and Germany had been much less than average since the start of the year with fears for crop failures across the board.

The river shown on the BBC was unusual in that the problem was partly due to mine workings rather than just lack of rain. The problems could be much more widespread by September when many minor chalkstreams like the Pang and Tarrant have major problems.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The Times had an article yesterday stating that rainfall in much of France, Belgium, Holland and Germany had been much less than average since the start of the year with fears for crop failures across the board.

Well, France, or at least Paris is trying to put that right this morning . . . it is tipping it down!

The A12 into Paris is a 3 lane car park rather than a motorway, and the drains are already backing up as we've had no rain for about 6 weeks.

At home I live opposite to the Hampshire Avon in its' upper reaches and last weekend the wading birds were standing on gravels that susually have at least 2 feet of water over them at this time of the year.

Reaction score
I remember being in Hungary this time last year and the Danube was in flood...with very serious damage to towns and villages throughout the country. This year its about 86 and brilliant sunshine at present...although thunderstorms predicted for the end of the week/weekend....and for the first "half-term" in ages I'm not there:(

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
What I mean by this penny dropping is has the BBC finally realised that not everyone likes to see cuddly rodents, birds and mammals only?
Have they realised that fish and fishing interests an enormous section of their audience?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What I mean by this penny dropping is has the BBC finally realised that not everyone likes to see cuddly rodents, birds and mammals only?
Have they realised that fish and fishing interests an enormous section of their audience?

I doubt it very much to be honest Simon.

Only a couple of weeks ago on the BBC website they had a picture of a lure caught fish, complete with large treble hooks to highlight a story on Trawlers Wasteage!

So, no, I doubt the BBC are due to change any time soon.

I'll grant that they do, from time to time, air some snippet of remotely associated angling items, but probably only to be 'seen to do so'

mol

Reaction score
Rivers drying up is far from just a UK problem at present. The Times had an article yesterday stating that rainfall in much of France, Belgium, Holland and Germany had been much less than average since the start of the year with fears for crop failures across the board.

Thats spot on. Where I live, Eure valley in France, we have had almost no rain since Feb! The local farmers fields are all dry and the crops have started to die. We did have alot of rain last night but we need a weeks of heavy rain to fill everything back up, remember we're about to go into the hotest and driest part of the year. Everybody likes warm dry weather but it's getting worrying.

I went to look at a small stream yesterday that normally fishes well, it was dry. I bet nobody saved the minnows over here:eek:mg: