Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default has the penny dropped?

Watching BBC 1 tonight the One show had a feature on trout being rescued and relocated downstream due to a river drying up. Closely followed by Springwatch featuring Dr Roach (Mark Everard) with excellent footage of minnows and explaining their vital importance in the food chain for many species. Lets face it the beeb has made a few rickets lately and we have written complaints to their editors, has the penny finally dropped?

Default Re: has the penny dropped?

Don't hold your breath, they'll probably show the 3298453th repeat of 'The Dying Swan' this weekend 'to balance it out a bit'!

Oh you cynic Bluenose...I never realised Tchaikovsky was anti angling...won't listen to any of his albums again!!
    He is every other inch a gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by Poshpaul (Angling Trust and PaSC) View Post
    Oh you cynic Bluenose...I never realised Tchaikovsky was anti angling...won't listen to any of his albums again!!

"White man had the stopms. Black man had the blue but Tchaikovsky ahd the new, let there be light, sound, drums, guitar, - let there be rock"

ACDC
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
    Don't hold your breath, they'll probably show the 3298453th repeat of 'The Dying Swan' this weekend 'to balance it out a bit'!
    If they did I wouldn't be at all surprised either . . . . .

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Rivers drying up is far from just a UK problem at present. The Times had an article yesterday stating that rainfall in much of France, Belgium, Holland and Germany had been much less than average since the start of the year with fears for crop failures across the board.

The river shown on the BBC was unusual in that the problem was partly due to mine workings rather than just lack of rain. The problems could be much more widespread by September when many minor chalkstreams like the Pang and Tarrant have major problems.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jack sprat View Post
    The Times had an article yesterday stating that rainfall in much of France, Belgium, Holland and Germany had been much less than average since the start of the year with fears for crop failures across the board.
    Well, France, or at least Paris is trying to put that right this morning . . . it is tipping it down!

The A12 into Paris is a 3 lane car park rather than a motorway, and the drains are already backing up as we've had no rain for about 6 weeks.

At home I live opposite to the Hampshire Avon in its' upper reaches and last weekend the wading birds were standing on gravels that susually have at least 2 feet of water over them at this time of the year.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

I remember being in Hungary this time last year and the Danube was in flood...with very serious damage to towns and villages throughout the country. This year its about 86 and brilliant sunshine at present...although thunderstorms predicted for the end of the week/weekend....and for the first "half-term" in ages I'm not there
    He is every other inch a gentleman.

What I mean by this penny dropping is has the BBC finally realised that not everyone likes to see cuddly rodents, birds and mammals only?
    Have they realised that fish and fishing interests an enormous section of their audience?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    What I mean by this penny dropping is has the BBC finally realised that not everyone likes to see cuddly rodents, birds and mammals only?
    Have they realised that fish and fishing interests an enormous section of their audience?
    I doubt it very much to be honest Simon.

Only a couple of weeks ago on the BBC website they had a picture of a lure caught fish, complete with large treble hooks to highlight a story on Trawlers Wasteage!

So, no, I doubt the BBC are due to change any time soon.

I'll grant that they do, from time to time, air some snippet of remotely associated angling items, but probably only to be 'seen to do so'

Patrick F. McManus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast