Fishery Rules!!!

dezza

Reaction score
I certainly was not having a go at poor spellers, although there is absolutely no excuse for poor spelling in this day and age, especially on the printed rules of one of England's best known commercial fisheries.

And if a float is supposed to float, isn't a non-floating float supposed to sink.

So why not call it a "sink"?

:eek:

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
No, cg74, I do NOT feel better. I'm definitely a supporter of the revolting pedants; before I go senile I want to get a sniper's rifle and bag a few of the low grade, highly-paid TV scriptwriters who have brought "could of" and " might of" into common currency. As for the "grocers apo'strophe's".... just don't go there.
What we say is our verbal small change; what we print, for the public to read, and to remain for ever traceable to us, is our hoard of gold sovereigns. Not caring about that tends to indicate someone who just doesn't care about anything. Not carefree, careless.
I hope my specific mention of dyslexics proper, and the fact that some feel relaxed enough on here to regard it as a private space is a GOOD thing, has meant that I haven't offended anyone who posts on here without worrying about sub-editing; at least three of our most respected members, with academic qualifications well beyond my own, are in this group and I'd HATE to think I had in any way inhibited them. They are among friends and should feel relaxed.
But i hate being tole to obay groundless rules by sum uneddicable twerp who can't be bovvered to check Iver wot hes' thingkin or writing, and to PAY for the "privelege"!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
And what are chubb and barble?
I think I have your answer, Ron.

This was a section of a notice taken in the Sea Life Aquarium in London -

jeff-woodhouse-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture2586-chubb-barble.jpg

You see, we've been wrong all these years!

(sorry pic is a bit poor quality, they won't allow flashers in there so I had to wind the ISO to 1600)

That bit about "sometimes lakes" will wind Fred up a bit, I bet! ;)

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Oh, Gawd 'elp us! :eek:mg::eek::mad::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg: *sob!*

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

Bloody ell, it was Walthamstow... it's seeping back now, between the voids in the grey matter left by all those dodgy burgers...or the beer...
"No Groundbait", it said. Must have been 1975-ish, when I'd been driven off the Thames by ravening hordes of bleak, and was looking round for somewhere new to fish.
Clever, I ain't, but I'm bookish (or was), and knew that to groundbait meant "to bait the ground" - the area of lake bed over which one intended to fish. But there it was, in a properly printed sign on a big, official-looking notice board.
If the idea of fishing with a hookbait alone strikes you as offputting on a stuffed puddle, imagine the chance of a solitary maggot being taken in a featurless water of sixty acres or so... I didn't go back.
Until 1992, when the fly-fishing bug bit me. Chatting to a carper, I mentioned my reason for not coarse-fishing there.
"But you can loose feed!"

I can't remember whether the world fell out of my bottom, or the other way round, but it suddenly hit me ... I had assumed that someone working for so august a body as Thames Water, or the Metropolitan Water Board, or whoever they were at the time, would get their terminology accurate, undisputable, parsed, lawyered and generally RIGHT!
Some dictionary-shy gonk had done me out of some very special roaching in the days when an inland cormorant was a big "tick". The pillock thought "groundbait" meant "bait that's been ground up". And nobody had bothered to correct him.
Which is why I get a grouch on with fishery owners whose rules are vague, baseless, made up as they go along, misspelt, dim, and worst of all, NOT POSTED ON THEIR S@DDING WEBSITE!

It isn't pedantry, it isn't snobbery; it's a wound that's been suppurating, conveniently "forgotten" as I try to act normal.
And now it's back. Tippex, please. A quart.
Those crapulous script-writers I mentioned can sleep more easily tonight, they've been demoted to category two on my target list.

dezza

Reaction score
Actually I've never laughed so much in my life.

"Pole tapping indeed!"

And perhaps we may set a new trend with "course" fishing. Imagine it, 18 little ponds, each with a different species in it, and you have to fish against the clock and move on to the next after catching the fish.

Some interesting skills would no doubt be required.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
If the owner's regard for his customers and his fish reflects his regard for the English language, avoid the place.
He doesn't care enough what the paying public think to get a literate friend (if he has one) to check over his notice board; so he probably knows and cares as little about fish, fishing, and fishermen.
Proper dyslexics* know what they're up against and how to sort out a decent show before they go public. The fact that they don't necessarily bother on FM doesn't show lack of respect, just a feeling of being comfortable amongst friends, or so I hope. WE know what they mean. Usually. (Wink!)
But when it's your interface with those you hope will pay you...

* I've had to correct that once, I really hope I got it right this time...

Don't no who you mean - and yes you did spell it correct - not and easy for for us

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
"Pole tapping indeed!"

Saw the real pole tapping in action a few years ago at Gold Valley. Worked a treat with the commercial carp coming onto the pole line very quickly indeed. It also worked for a while with cupping water in as well. The sound (vibration?) really got them looking for the pellets that weren't there!

Similar to a club trout lake I fished many years ago. Chuck a handful of gravel in and the stockie rainbows would appear from nowhere!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Gadzooks, m'lud, so relaxed is the ambience that I forgot to mention our own belted earl!
Abject grovellings, and much imaginary tugging of a forelock which has long since fallen out.

cg74

Reaction score
Oh, Gawd 'elp us! :eek:mg::eek::mad::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg: *sob!*

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

Bloody ell, it was Walthamstow... it's seeping back now, between the voids in the grey matter left by all those dodgy burgers...or the beer...
"No Groundbait", it said. Must have been 1975-ish, when I'd been driven off the Thames by ravening hordes of bleak, and was looking round for somewhere new to fish.
Clever, I ain't, but I'm bookish (or was), and knew that to groundbait meant "to bait the ground" - the area of lake bed over which one intended to fish. But there it was, in a properly printed sign on a big, official-looking notice board.
If the idea of fishing with a hookbait alone strikes you as offputting on a stuffed puddle, imagine the chance of a solitary maggot being taken in a featurless water of sixty acres or so... I didn't go back.
Until 1992, when the fly-fishing bug bit me. Chatting to a carper, I mentioned my reason for not coarse-fishing there.
"But you can loose feed!"

I can't remember whether the world fell out of my bottom, or the other way round, but it suddenly hit me ... I had assumed that someone working for so august a body as Thames Water, or the Metropolitan Water Board, or whoever they were at the time, would get their terminology accurate, undisputable, parsed, lawyered and generally RIGHT!
Some dictionary-shy gonk had done me out of some very special roaching in the days when an inland cormorant was a big "tick". The pillock thought "groundbait" meant "bait that's been ground up". And nobody had bothered to correct him.
Which is why I get a grouch on with fishery owners whose rules are vague, baseless, made up as they go along, misspelt, dim, and worst of all, NOT POSTED ON THEIR S@DDING WEBSITE!

It isn't pedantry, it isn't snobbery; it's a wound that's been suppurating, conveniently "forgotten" as I try to act normal.
And now it's back. Tippex, please. A quart.
Those crapulous script-writers I mentioned can sleep more easily tonight, they've been demoted to category two on my target list.

What an unitelligible load of old rot that collection of words really is..... but for the bit that is comprehensible; "It isn't pedantry, it isn't snobbery."

Sorry, I beg to differ; you clearly are overly concerned about every detail within a passage of writing; hence pedantic.
Snobbery, well you show a distinct liking for lording yourself above those who maybe have a lower intelligence level than you do.

So Mr fishery owner can't spell very well. Perhaps he is oblivious to this fact, is it not plausible that no one has ever pointed this out to him?

This is not a dig at those who suffer from dyslexia, on the contrary but why offer them dispensation, surely incorrect is incorrect. Whether its as a result of dyslexia, poor education, low intelligence, ignorance or whatever.
Perhaps this is just a feeble limp-wristed show of PC, not wanting rock the boat to much?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
This is rather distressing; I've clearly upset one of this site's most respected, reasonable and clear-thinking members, without trying to.

I could have made my last post more comprehensible, I suppose; but it would have been written in such a plodding style that it would have resembled a legal document. No fun to either write or read.

"Lording myself"?
I've retired, so I have the time to check what I write - though not always the eyesight - and I do like to at least try to get it right.
(Yes, I've spotted the split infinitive there. I'm only human.)
But I try not to make character or value judgements about people based on their accents or writing skills. Some of the cleverest people I've met have been almost incomprehensible; a lesson I learned expensively was that of a very shy professor who bumbled his way through lectures; and I, lazy git that I was, more or less matched him bumble-for-bumble in my exam answers. I did not do well. Many years later, I picked up a copy of his book, the one I should have bought whe I was a student, and was amazed at the clarity and beauty of his prose.
Conversely, some people who have been trained to write and speak clearly seem to have no brain left over to think of anything to say; I often find myself in this boat, so I won't rock it too hard, but it is hard not to think of insurance salesmen, estate agents, and the less useful members of the "professions". (Sh%t, he's right, I AM a snob!) Then again, I was pretty bloody useless at what I did, and as a consequence, don't give myself airs and graces - honest! (You just try getting out of my fourteen-year-old, cosmetically challenged Skoda and putting on airs!)

Neither style nor cleverness improve those who use their talents to get an advantage over their fellows; and lack of either does not diminish the value to the world of kind, friendly people who look out for each other. "Kind hearts are more than coronets..."

I guess I just don't like being told what I can't do by someone who has no idea why I can't, or who knows but can't be bothered to explain. If he'd explain, in clear writing, he'd only have to do it once, wouldn't he? It would be on his web-site and notice-board for all to see and understand. Instead of which, he has to try to explain himself to each and every disgruntled customer... he can't be in a good mood after a lap of his lakes.
Hang it, why should I be trying to help the owner of a fishery I'll never visit?
If his customers are happy, and content to go back and hand over their money again, he must be doing something right. Good luck to him, and them.
And you wouldn't want it to get overcrowded.
Especially not with my sort, sitting there, using up a perfectly good swim, being smugly humble :D, understanding the clearly-explained rules and catching damn-all.

---------- Post added at 07:29 ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 ----------

Too early in the morning for lucid thought - I've just re-read your post and realised I had'nt actually explained myself re - " it isn't pedantry..."etc. I meant to imply that the root cause of my displeasure wasn't those, but suppressed rage at the incident described. "It" seemed so much more economical. Wrong again, I guess.
Pedantry, I tend to support. Snobbery, not.
Then, this: "This is not a dig at those who suffer from dyslexia, on the contrary but why offer them dispensation, surely incorrect is incorrect. "
My italics. One should "offer them dispensation" for exactly the same reason that you'd hold a door open for someone carrying heavy baggage - it's genuinely more difficult for them.
Incorrect is indeed incorrect, but how much are you supposed to get it right? (Sorry, "How hard are you supposed to work to get it right within the context of the social and possible legal expectations of the intended readership?") Running text through spellcheck is a bit too much like hard work in the context of this forum, but even if you want to get it spot-on, a spelling-checker won't sort "practice" from "practise", tell you it's "hare-" not "hair-"brained, or unscramble the various rhymes for "there" and "to".
Dyslexics can't. The dim aren't aware they haven't. The lazy can't be bovvered. I'll cheerfully hold the figurative door open for the first two, but the last are no better than I and can open their own dam' doors.
Oh, pooh, it is snobbery, I suppose. A bit like not holding the door for some heavily-laden person because their bags are all Fortnum and Harrods. Or Asda. Sorry.

cg74

Reaction score
This is rather distressing; I've clearly upset one of this site's most respected, reasonable and clear-thinking members, without trying to.

I could have made my last post more comprehensible, I suppose; but it would have been written in such a plodding style that it would have resembled a legal document. No fun to either write or read.

"Lording myself"?
I've retired, so I have the time to check what I write - though not always the eyesight - and I do like to at least try to get it right.
(Yes, I've spotted the split infinitive there. I'm only human.)
But I try not to make character or value judgements about people based on their accents or writing skills. Some of the cleverest people I've met have been almost incomprehensible; a lesson I learned expensively was that of a very shy professor who bumbled his way through lectures; and I, lazy git that I was, more or less matched him bumble-for-bumble in my exam answers. I did not do well. Many years later, I picked up a copy of his book, the one I should have bought whe I was a student, and was amazed at the clarity and beauty of his prose.
Conversely, some people who have been trained to write and speak clearly seem to have no brain left over to think of anything to say; I often find myself in this boat, so I won't rock it too hard, but it is hard not to think of insurance salesmen, estate agents, and the less useful members of the "professions". (Sh%t, he's right, I AM a snob!) Then again, I was pretty bloody useless at what I did, and as a consequence, don't give myself airs and graces - honest! (You just try getting out of my fourteen-year-old, cosmetically challenged Skoda and putting on airs!)

Neither style nor cleverness improve those who use their talents to get an advantage over their fellows; and lack of either does not diminish the value to the world of kind, friendly people who look out for each other. "Kind hearts are more than coronets..."

I guess I just don't like being told what I can't do by someone who has no idea why I can't, or who knows but can't be bothered to explain. If he'd explain, in clear writing, he'd only have to do it once, wouldn't he? It would be on his web-site and notice-board for all to see and understand. Instead of which, he has to try to explain himself to each and every disgruntled customer... he can't be in a good mood after a lap of his lakes.
Hang it, why should I be trying to help the owner of a fishery I'll never visit?
If his customers are happy, and content to go back and hand over their money again, he must be doing something right. Good luck to him, and them.
And you wouldn't want it to get overcrowded.
Especially not with my sort, sitting there, using up a perfectly good swim, being smugly humble :D, understanding the clearly-explained rules and catching damn-all.

---------- Post added at 07:29 ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 ----------

Too early in the morning for lucid thought - I've just re-read your post and realised I had'nt actually explained myself re - " it isn't pedantry..."etc. I meant to imply that the root cause of my displeasure wasn't those, but suppressed rage at the incident described. "It" seemed so much more economical. Wrong again, I guess.
Pedantry, I tend to support. Snobbery, not.
Then, this: "This is not a dig at those who suffer from dyslexia, on the contrary but why offer them dispensation, surely incorrect is incorrect. "
My italics. One should "offer them dispensation" for exactly the same reason that you'd hold a door open for someone carrying heavy baggage - it's genuinely more difficult for them.
Incorrect is indeed incorrect, but how much are you supposed to get it right? (Sorry, "How hard are you supposed to work to get it right within the context of the social and possible legal expectations of the intended readership?") Running text through spellcheck is a bit too much like hard work in the context of this forum, but even if you want to get it spot-on, a spelling-checker won't sort "practice" from "practise", tell you it's "hare-" not "hair-"brained, or unscramble the various rhymes for "there" and "to".
Dyslexics can't. The dim aren't aware they haven't. The lazy can't be bovvered. I'll cheerfully hold the figurative door open for the first two, but the last are no better than I and can open their own dam' doors.
Oh, pooh, it is snobbery, I suppose. A bit like not holding the door for some heavily-laden person because their bags are all Fortnum and Harrods. Or Asda. Sorry.

Good riposte Alan and TBH I pretty much agree with your disdain regards inane fishery rules. Only I prefer to analyse the rules and draw sometimes negative critical opinions, other times a positive outlook as a result, then offer the fishery owner an informed opinion on the matter.... Yes, I know it tends to fall on deaf ears but at least I know I've tried.

Better that than moaning and groaning on an angling forum, yes banter at the stupidity of some rules BUT leave the criticism of spelling mistakes to the teachers in classrooms.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Better that than moaning and groaning on an angling forum, yes banter at the stupidity of some rules BUT leave the criticism of spelling mistakes to the teachers in classrooms.

Are you sure:confused:
"Teachers are encouraged to avoid pointing out mistakes for fear of 'crushing creativity' or 'undermining confidence', and to give pupils a choice of tasks to undertake in class".
Who’s the tw*t now?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
Are you sure:confused:
"Teachers are encouraged to avoid pointing out mistakes for fear of 'crushing creativity' or 'undermining confidence', and to give pupils a choice of tasks to undertake in class".

Thing is with the article supplied, it doesn't give away much in the way of detailed figures; more opinion than fact based. And we all know what a bit of spin can do too a few suggestive snippets, next we'll be told 99.99% of school leavers are fully literate.
To subjective and certainly not objective enough too convince me!

Add to that: Officially 12.5% of Englands population is of ethnic descent (foreign). Then of 87.5% which are white, are they all British and of course if you were here illegally with kids in the education system, possibly worsening the literacy figure, you'd fill your census forms in, yeah?

Oh ******, is I allowed/aloud to start a sentence with "And"?

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I'd like to see things from your point of view but I believe that we would then both be wrong;)[/FONT]

cg74

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I'd like to see things from your point of view but I believe that we would then both be wrong;)[/FONT]

A small amendment to make your post factually correct: I'd like to see things from your point of view, as I believe that we would then both be right and right all of the time.;):D:D

stikflote

Reaction score
Excellent reply, ,but i thought it was[ DAMN] doors not dam lol

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Whoopee, another recruit to the swelling ranks of the revolting pedants!
It's "damned doors", but it's usually reported as "damn" (because we tend to drop the final D when we're angry) or, more accurately, "damn' "' or "dam' " - which is what I used - with an apostrophe of ommision.
Aren't all those bleedin' commas confusing? My brain now hurts.
'Night, all.