Fly Fishing for Pike

M

mark williams 4

I have to say that, when freelance, I wouldn't have got out of bed for less than ?120. Budgie, once you've paid your tax, had some holiday, paid for your own periods of sickness and bought your own gear, it doesn't exactly leave you in the lap of luxury.

Regards the venue, I'm beginning to think we should all go to somewhere that produces plenty of pike - I'd go for the Fens, of course. I wonder if Chris Bishop can be persuaded to bless us with his presence?

Alternatively, any Midlands venue which we can all reach - the Severn? The Trent?

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
I wouldn't descirbe game anglers as hijacking in this sense. They're simply trying for a new species, using a method thats different. I haven't noticed day tickets suddenly going up because people are now fly fishing for the species rather than using deadbaits etc.

As for the pricing. Coarse fishing has remained vastly underpriced for years. I can see how game angling might seem expensive when you compare an average day ticket on a commercial (lets say anywhere between ?5 and ?10) to an average trout day ticket (anywhere between ?20 and ?40), however for that on many waters you not only get your fishing, but can also take a number of fish if you choose.

In addition when you compare a days trout fishing costs with that of other recreational activities in this country, a round of golf, a ticket to the footie etc its in the same price range.

In my opinion coarse fishing prices will go up very very soon, as owners realise the value of water they have, and how little coarse anglers pay for their privilidges.

I'm not saying this is a good thing, its clearly not, but its what I think will happen.