Thermal Boots

R

Rodney Wrestt

I'm on the lookout for a pair of boots for this winter before it gets too cold.
I've seen a pair by Chub (All season field boots) & a pair by Wychwood (Lunker carp boots) both are ?40.
I was going to get the Chub version untill I saw the other pair which feature a removable liner.
I want them for pikeing & river fishing so the length of both pairs of boots look good for wandering in.
Can anyone help make up my mind.(Sorry Dave, I don't think they come in high heel versions, but a pretty ribbon tied round the ankle might be possible. < Grin > ) ;-}~

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
I've just bought a pair of Chub field boots, having compaired them to the Derri and Skeetex versions. I haven't seen the Wychwood boots though.

I shall be using them for the first time tomorrow. I'll give you an opinion on my return.

By the way Bennets have the Chub ones on special offer, which my local dealer matched, at only ?36.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Cheers Dave,
I'll have to mention that when I decide to get a pair if it's the Chub ones that I get, do they have a liner? the write up I saw didn't say.

Good luck tomorrow.

M

Martin Wright

I have a pair of the Derri field boots which are very comfortable and warm but the laces are awkward to do up.

Also they look a bit dorkish - important when you're as good looking as me.

M

Mike Fidler

Scott, I bought a pair of the Wychwood jobbies yesterday. Because the chub boots don't go to size 12. I must say they were very warm last night on the banks of the Severn, kept my feet warm while I wrapped my sleeping bag around me. Longterm I don't know how long they will last but I suppose if I get two winters usage thats not bad is it?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Mike,
Are they like the chub & skeetex ones (Haven't seen the Derri field boots Martin)with the (rubber?)waterproof shoe part and leather upper?

W

Wendy Perry

i've been looking for some as well but as i am a lady :eek:) i have only got small feet size 5 and i can't get any so what do u suggest ??

D

Dave O'L

Do any come in 13 or does anyone know if the 12's are real 12's or these poncy high street Italian sized 12?
High heels are optional Rodney as I find I sink into the bank in winter.
I read CF last year or year before, when they though Derri boots were the ones to get if walking was needed?
Mike I've heard that a jobbie can make a very efficient poultice, but as a piece of footwear.........???????? :)

M

Martin Wright

Wendy, check out this months Coarse Fisherman where they have a review of some thermal boots called Mukluks 'Countryman' that go down to size 5.

F

Fred Bonney

Rod,I don't know what your finances are like,if you can go for a pair of boots at ?80
I can recommend a range by countryconcept.co.uk.The pair I got in March last year are 4x4 Fellsman(a birthday present from the wife)and Dave, they definitely come in a good size 12.They have a washable laceup inner'sock' with a sole so you can drive in them and wear them as socks in your bivvy.They are great walking boots but you can't wade in them!
They also keep the toes warm as toast.Have a look.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Fred,
They were the first ones I looked at, I slobbered all over a pair of the Fellsman boots for quite some time (they are quite waterproof)but at that price they are out of my range.

S

steve watson

Why dont you have a look at the Cabelas website they have excellent boots, american styles though but you wont get better for your buck.Go ahead and try it honestly.

D

David Will

Snowbee do some nice boots they have a web site.They should be approved by the fashion Police.

T

tall alexander

Does anybody know where I can get a good pair of thermal boots in a size 14 (that's a big 14!) I can't be the only one who goes fishing during the winter with feet of this size.

C

Carp Angler

I've got a hiking boot made by Loveson, jokingly called the Bigfoot, it's got a good thick sole so it is warm to a large extent.
It's certainly warmer than trainers, which is what I used to wear.
I think they only make it in size 13, 14 and 15.
But it might be worth looking at this site which sell Lovesons.
They may sell something else.

Big Shoe

BTW, 14 is a womens size...........

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Rodney - feedback on Chub field boots as promised. Wore them yesterday for the first time and forgot I had them on, they are really comfortable and warm. I slopped about in the margins netting fish and didn't get wet feet, so they do the job. Warm, comfortable and waterproof. What more do you need?

M

matt ---

I've a pair of the lunkers. Only wore them once but the were far beter to walk in than my usual thermal wellies, warm, and they raly are waterproof!!!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Cheers all,

Dave,is there a liner in the Boots you have like the Lunkers, Fellsman?